The dunce (ST) vs the diligent (Dinglr) - all welcome

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

SparkleyTits

RE: The dunce (ST) vs the diligent (Dinglr) - all welcome

Post by SparkleyTits »

I got lucky Dinglrs airforce was offline by him experimenting and I very meanly decided not to be forgiving about the fact [:D]

It is annoying as hell I think most would agree!
I find the Russian airforce is incredibly hard to beat and is a simple affair to atleast get the initiative with quickly in 41 atm

Yeah I thought with the 80% logisctics and the game being tweaked to help the defender that +1 would not be all that in line with what we were hoping for, plus I am more used to it so I find it more comfortable to play with which is nice!
Dinglir

Post by Dinglir »

Actually, I did not turn off the airforce on turn one. I just saw the Group range setting for the first time ever (I am a returning player) and assumed it's unit of measure was hexes. I then set all fighters to fly at a range of 10.....

I really dislike the Soviet +1, as it is almost an "autogenerate" for Soviet Guards units. Compared to history, this game generates far too many Guards units already, and compunding the issue with +1 simply makes them swarm all over the place. To my mind, Guards should be "special" units thatactually mean something.

As for beating the Soviet air force, I do not think it is a possibility against an experienced, slow paced player. I fully assume that Sparkley will have the initiative in the air by the end of the year. This is another ahistorical thing, by the way. It took until 1943 and the battles above the Kuban bridgehead and Kursk for the Soviets to gain operational parity in the air.
To be is to do -- Socrates
To do is to be -- Jean-Paul Sartre
Do be do be do -- Frank Sinatra
HardLuckYetAgain

Post by HardLuckYetAgain »

ORIGINAL: Dinglir

As for beating the Soviet air force, I do not think it is a possibility against an experienced, slow paced player. I fully assume that Sparkley will have the initiative in the air by the end of the year. This is another ahistorical thing, by the way. It took until 1943 and the battles above the Kuban bridgehead and Kursk for the Soviets to gain operational parity in the air.

The Germans can, against an experienced Soviet, prolong the Air war into 43 until operational parity is achieved. I am sorry to say that I have yet to see anyone that knows how to do this besides myself as a German.
German Turn 1 opening moves. The post that keeps on giving https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=390004
dcaflak

Post by dcaflak »

I can't wait to see how this game develops, I'll be sure to be following the updates!

Nice job on the isolations, frustrating the enemy's mobile units is always good.
SparkleyTits

Post by SparkleyTits »

I unfortunately forgot to take pictures at my start of the turn so only end of turn this time folks

AGN-AGC

AGN
Last turn went relatively well in this area with none of the worst case scenarios happening, however I still cannot tell where Dinglr is playing all of his cards so it'll be more guessing games until he does

First we send some diggers to the Narva line as it is plausible that Dinglr could lunge that way and I rail in what I hope is sufficent CV to Pskov, same as last turn though I do not want to overcommit until I have to
Then I agrrevate Reinhardts corp by stopping the supply of 2 panzer divisions and plopping some decent stacks of CV in hopes of leading his forces attention to that area
I forcus heavily on ground bombing to heighten fatigue and hopefully limit Dinglrs MP on the panzers as much as possible
lastly I managed to slow FBD in AGN down by 3 hexes, every little helps

I end the turn feeling pretty safe here unless there are some nasty surprises I have not noticed

AGC
Same in this theatre luckily none of the worst case scenarios happened and it appears like AGC is not being prioritised but still probably need another turn or possibly 2 to be 100% sure

At the swamps NW of Vitebsk I bring what paltry units I can in hopes it is sufficient forces to stop Axis advance here
I pocket 2 divisions although they have 41-55% fuel stocks and then I block supply to 1 panzer near the Dvina stopping it's fuel gains for a turn
I also focused heavily on ground bombing panzers in this theatre for added fatigue
There is lots of weaknesses here so relying on bluffs and Dinglr playing safe
There is still a chance of hidden panzer corps here that have not been shown so I am worried but I hope this is not the case and Dinglr will prioritise elsewhere for now
SparkleyTits

Post by SparkleyTits »

AGS

I open the pocket on each end, dislodge a panzer HQ and isolate 5 panzer divisions although 1st CAV and a panzer division will still have 41-55% fuel inside the pocket
There is still a tonne of armour in the area but at least 11 of them are regiments atm

I concentrated on throwing future dead units at panzer regis/divisions to higher fatigue
Again I focused heavily on ground bombing panzers for added fatigue

I took quite a few uneeded risks this turn along all fronts, most of all with AGS plausibly becoming fairly nasty but Stalin had his whip out demanding I "hold the facists back" so I had no say in the matter

I save most of my AP in hopes of being able to counter and aggrevate more by surprise next turn, I quickly realised how stupid this was when I lost 24ap on turn 3 but thought it was important to show how stupid and lax I can be sometimes [:D]
xhoel

Post by xhoel »

Pays dividends to harass the Axis like that constantly. Dinglr should watch out and try to keep his flanks in order to avoid his unit being cut off again and again.
AAR WITW: Gotterdammerung 43-45
tm.asp?m=4490035
AAR WITE: A Clash of Titans 41-45
tm.asp?m=4488465
WitE 2 Tester and Test Coordinator
Dinglir

Post by Dinglir »

ORIGINAL: xhoel

Pays dividends to harass the Axis like that constantly. Dinglr should watch out and try to keep his flanks in order to avoid his unit being cut off again and again.

Without looking into my turn two report, my memory is that I found the risk worth it to bag three Motorized Divisions and a Tank Division. Especially as I had Panzers to the rear that could easily come forward and do some nasty stuff in case Sparkley did a close up defense.

That being said, I did expect the Soviets to run and I certainly did not expect them to encircle the Panzers even if they did decide to stick close.
To be is to do -- Socrates
To do is to be -- Jean-Paul Sartre
Do be do be do -- Frank Sinatra
SparkleyTits

Post by SparkleyTits »

Well after reading your turn 2 analysis I certainly came to agree with you on me throwing away my MOT, all in all I think it was a bad choice and I could of chosen better sacrfices as they are a good long term haul for you and a bad long term lose for me, even if bad units
xhoel

Post by xhoel »

ORIGINAL: Dinglir

ORIGINAL: xhoel

Without looking into my turn two report, my memory is that I found the risk worth it to bag three Motorized Divisions and a Tank Division. Especially as I had Panzers to the rear that could easily come forward and do some nasty stuff in case Sparkley did a close up defense.

That being said, I did expect the Soviets to run and I certainly did not expect them to encircle the Panzers even if they did decide to stick close.

Fair enough. The point I was trying to make is that your units will lose morale and suffer additional attrition losses when cut off. When that happens once or twice it is not a big deal, but constant repeating will leave your forces weak and you will take losses that you could easily avoid. That translates to lower CV, lower morale hampers movement etc etc. Just saying you should be careful is all!
AAR WITW: Gotterdammerung 43-45
tm.asp?m=4490035
AAR WITE: A Clash of Titans 41-45
tm.asp?m=4488465
WitE 2 Tester and Test Coordinator
SparkleyTits

Post by SparkleyTits »

AGN week 3 start

We open the turn to see a buildup across the entire area is likely with little ground taken although 3 divisions near the Dvina were pocketed this week

Luckily Dinglr left a 20CV MOT in thw swamp hex which panzers do not fight very well and is a good position for the men to hopefully retreat into so a rescue is planned and the men are in good spirit for it's chances of success
SparkleyTits

Post by SparkleyTits »

AGN end of week 3

Black: Focused on setting up the hexes W and NW of Pskov as well as could be as this is the easiest route to Leningrad
Also tried to make sure no easy route around Pskov was possible with as little forces as I was willing to send
Red: I managed to stop fuel supplies to 2 of Dinglrs panzers
Yellow: I made high stacks instead of depth in hopes of redrawing Dinglrs attention back downward to waste more MP's
Unfortunately I had to leave weaknesses S/SE of Pskov for a coordinated lunge and possible linkup or ZOC blocks from the Dvina if there is a HQBU
We also manage to free the 3 divisions by shifting the motorised division and quickly attempt to extricate the units
SparkleyTits

Post by SparkleyTits »

AGC week 3 start

Not much movement from Dinglr here
This definitely seems like an unprioritised front at the moment
SparkleyTits

Post by SparkleyTits »

AGC end of week 3

Black: I tried to limit panzer supplies with my airborne
With the landbridge looking like it is not given any prioritised objectives atm I reallocated as much as of my forces in AGC as I could to the Dvina/swamps area
SparkleyTits

Post by SparkleyTits »

AGS start of week 3

Ouch.......
I was very stupid to save all of my AP last turn thinking I was being clever and forgetting that AP is spent on the rebirth of units
I would of been served incredibly well to put in a better general and 3 more divisions into Dinglrs path of attack as I was pondering on doing but I decided against it in my complacency.
Lesson well learnt

Hindsight is always 20/20!
SparkleyTits

Post by SparkleyTits »

AGS end of week 3

I at least did learn a nice bit about some of Dinglrs attacking pathing which I can hopefully use going forward but this could just be me trying to convince myself that the lose of many good units actually had any relevance......

I decide not to put anything else into the fray in hopes of saving anything as AGS just isn't important enough
and I aren't going to throw more fuel into a fire, losing more in doing so

We run for the hills and let the evil facists have their haul of goodies and morale boosts that will bring!
56ajax

Post by 56ajax »

Ouch.......
I was very stupid to save all of my AP last turn thinking I was being clever and forgetting that AP is spent on the rebirth of units
I would of been served incredibly well to put in a better general and 3 more divisions into Dinglrs path of attack as I was pondering on doing but I decided against it in my complacency.
Lesson well learnt

Hindsight is always 20/20!

Doesn't this expenditure only happen from the 1st of November? Up till then it is free?
Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne
SparkleyTits

Post by SparkleyTits »

Well according to my notes I saved 44AP on turn 2 and I started up turn 3 with 74AP so 20AP went missing somewhere?
Honestly though I do not know though mate, I could be wrong and it happened through another avenue of obscurity I have no idea about (you never know with this game), I just assumed what I thought was the most likely option tbh

If anybody knows otherwise I would love to know!
56ajax

Post by 56ajax »

ORIGINAL: SparkleyTits

Well according to my notes I saved 44AP on turn 2 and I started up turn 3 with 74AP so 20AP went missing somewhere?
Honestly though I do not know though mate, I could be wrong and it happened through another avenue of obscurity I have no idea about (you never know with this game), I just assumed what I thought was the most likely option tbh

If anybody knows otherwise I would love to know!

notes...Notes!....NOTES...well isn't it just a case of fix bayonets and charrrgge!!!

seriously there is a bug, defect or anomaly in Soviet admin points that I noticed years ago where, very rarely, you do not get the full amount. I have not been able to repeat it so probably too much vodka consumed. For me usually around T5/6 then again perhaps I imagined it. (Notes would have helped).
Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne
AlexSF

Post by AlexSF »

I think the re-formmtion of destroyed units is indeed free until November or December 41 but only for rifle division and maybe tanks, not sure. You should check the rules on that.

edit; 18.1.3. Rebuilding Destroyed Soviet Combat Units:
Soviet Rifle, Motorized and Tank divisions that are destroyed prior to November 1941 will be added to the reinforcement schedule to reenter
as empty or nearly empty units after a certain number of turns

So Cav and Mountain troops probably cost you AP to reform, even before Nov 41
"My centre is yielding. My right is retreating. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Maréchal Foch, 1914.

Return to “After Action Reports”