Helicopter recon

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian, WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin

MTTODD

Helicopter recon

Post by MTTODD »

Hi,

Playing Eyes, ears & teeth scenario. At start of game move my Kiowa recon to map out forward areas.

They encounter Soviet forces, but just seem to stay where they are, eventually getting shot down. I use deliberate haste, to
move them out of area, but orders not processed.

Would not more normal behaviour be for the unarmed helos to get out of area ASAP ? I know this is a orders based game, so
proably I am not understanding the concept fully. But just very frustarting seeing units hang around to get destroyed.

Thanks for any help.

KungPao

RE: Helicopter recon

Post by KungPao »

if you spot the trouble and then issue the movement order, it is already too late. The order delay could cost you 10 min

My solution: 3 Waypoint move deliberate combo
go to the first WP, set 2nd WP and 3rd WP with max delay. after enemy spotted and get into your turn, change the 2nd WP delay to 0 and drag it to a safe place. Sometime you need the 3rd WP to make sure your Helo go through a safe route
Sir? Do you want to order a Kung Pao Chicken or a Kung Fu Chicken?
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Helicopters under fire should displace. More so if recon. If you have a save game before the questionable behavior, can you please email me. Capn.darwin(AT)windstream.net
Replace the (AT) with @. Thanks.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
MTTODD

Post by MTTODD »

OK thanks will do
MTTODD

Post by MTTODD »

Hi CapnDarwin,

Did you receive the save file via email ?

Many thanks.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Yes I did. Thanks. I will check it out this week when I get some time. Very busy these days with work day and night. [8D]

CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Had a chance to review the save file. The recon helos in the North kept backing away from the enemy both on standoff sight range and under fire. The one in the South a bit less so but then it got caught with a number of units popping up in the terrain of that area and force to try to retreat southward. In the run, I saw one helo in the South shot down from close range fire. One factor for slow or no response is the low readiness on the helicopters. All three were around 40% or less. Low readiness impacts air unit situational awareness and can lead to loss of aircraft.

MTTODD

Post by MTTODD »

OK thanks for your reply.

Appreciate your time.

Will keep a look out for readiness levels.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

All note here, but it is applicable to the recon helos as well. We will be looking to improve helicopter AI in Southern Storm and there are some additional features we are looking at that will help the AI make some smarter choices and also allow the player to set some thresholds via SOPs to better fit your command style and mission needs.

Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

ORIGINAL: CapnDarwin

All note here, but it is applicable to the recon helos as well. We will be looking to improve helicopter AI in Southern Storm and there are some additional features we are looking at that will help the AI make some smarter choices and also allow the player to set some thresholds via SOPs to better fit your command style and mission needs.

Sounds good! [:)]

The "fragile" C&C design you are pursuing is laudable and promising. But I do think there needs to be more "options" for the player to plan ahead and set some params for each instance on the game map so that the "units" are more likely to behave in ways that the player would hope they would behave.

ADDIT: the extraordinary extent of "orders phase" option toggles, sliders, tick boxes, and value entry cells one finds in War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition is perhaps the best example that comes to mind [;)] . . .
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ ... playnext=3

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”