Vietnam Combat Operations update

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
Boonierat1972

RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update

Post by Boonierat1972 »

ORIGINAL: KGrob

A suggestion (if possible): Include at least the option for some ahistorical developments so we humans don't quite know what to expect...everyone knows about Tet '68 for example...it doesn't need to be too crazy, just enough of a change to keep things fresh from game to game.

I'm sorry KGrob, but that's not in the cards [:)] my intention has always been to model how the Vietnam war was fought as close to history as possible.
Stéphane Moutin-Luyat
Vietnam Combat Operations
berto

Post by berto »

ORIGINAL: Boonierat1972

... my intention has always been to model how the Vietnam war was fought as close to history as possible.
Which makes VCO uniquely interesting.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
jjdenver

Post by jjdenver »

The new parameter limits (especially the event slots going up from 999 to 10000) will allow me to regroup several volumes into one:
Volume 1 : Vietnam Defense Campaign (8 March 1965 24 December 1965): VCO 1+2 (84 turns)
Volume 2 : Vietnam Counteroffensive Phase I (25 December 1965 30 June 1966): VCO 3 (54 turns)
Volume 3 : Vietnam Counteroffensive Phase II (1 July 1966 31 May 1967): VCO 4+5 (96 turns)
Volume 4 : Vietnam Counteroffensive Phase III (1 June 1967 29 January 1968): VCO 6 (69 turns)
Volume 5 : Tet Counteroffensive (30 January 1968 1 April 1968): VCO 7 (18 turns)

Is this your list of volumes for TOAW4? Or is this a list of 5 volumes that'll be combined into one 1965-1968 volume for TOAW4?
AARS:
CEAW-BJR Mod 2009:
tm.asp?m=2101447
AT-WW1:
tm.asp?m=1705427
AT-GPW:
tm.asp?m=1649732
Boonierat1972

Post by Boonierat1972 »

ORIGINAL: jjdenver
Is this your list of volumes for TOAW4? Or is this a list of 5 volumes that'll be combined into one 1965-1968 volume for TOAW4?

Yes, 5 volumes for TOAW 4 when there was 7 for TOAW III for the same time frame. A single volume covering 8 Mar 65 to 1 Apr 68 would be 321 turns long (half-weeks) and unplayable imo.
Stéphane Moutin-Luyat
winkr7

Post by winkr7 »

The new parameter limits (especially the event slots going up from 999 to 10000) will allow me to regroup several volumes into one:

Volume 1 : Vietnam Defense Campaign (8 March 1965 24 December 1965): VCO 1+2 (84 turns)
Volume 2 : Vietnam Counteroffensive Phase I (25 December 1965 30 June 1966): VCO 3 (54 turns)
Volume 3 : Vietnam Counteroffensive Phase II (1 July 1966 31 May 1967): VCO 4+5 (96 turns)
Volume 4 : Vietnam Counteroffensive Phase III (1 June 1967 29 January 1968): VCO 6 (69 turns)
Volume 5 : Tet Counteroffensive (30 January 1968 1 April 1968): VCO 7 (18 turns)
This sounds great. I think shorter smaller scenarios is a good idea. I look forward to playing them.
yours
winkr7
KGrob

Post by KGrob »

No biggie, that was just part of my "wish list"...it's a fabulous contribution to the game and to History.

We all appreciate what you are doing.
Boonierat1972

Post by Boonierat1972 »

Here's the modded bitmaps for LZ, Basecamp and FSB :

Attachments
Symbols.jpg
Symbols.jpg (79.66 KiB) Viewed 363 times
Stéphane Moutin-Luyat
flamidey

Post by flamidey »

This series is one of the best TOAW solo experiences! Can't wait to play this with the new engine.

Congratulations and thanks for such hard work!
r6kunz

Post by r6kunz »

Stéphane,
Merci Bien for continuing to work on your outstanding series!

RAK
CPT INF '68-'69
Avatar image was taken in hex 87,159 Vol 11 of
Vietnam Combat Operations by Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT aka Boonierat.
Aetius_Varras

Post by Aetius_Varras »

How is the map coming along Boonie? Would it be possible for us to see a preliminary version??
Hyding

Post by Hyding »

You did your original volumes in chronological order so you were never able to get to the Easter offensive or "Year of the Rat" 1972 and the Final offensive in 1975.

I hope you are able to include them this time even if all years are not included.

PS I guess the Cambodian and Laotian incursions would also interest many of you fans but I put my favorites first.

Thanks for all you have already done
BigDuke66

Post by BigDuke66 »

Any progress towards a release of the first volume?
r6kunz

Post by r6kunz »

Hello all,

I've received several messages recently asking why my VCO series (https://sites.google.com/site/vietnamcombatoperations/) were not included in the TOAW IV release. They were made at the time for TOAW III and do not fully work as intended with the new iteration.

That said, thanks to the new TOAW IV upgraded parameters, I've started working on a new map covering the same area at 2.5km/hex (which will translate in a map roughly 400x280 hexes wide)which will be the basis for a revamped series. Stay tuned for more info here, I hope to have the first volume out by 2018.

Stephane,
Many thanks again for this fine series. As you can see, there is still considerable interest in your masterpiece. May I have your kind permission to make a limited distribution to the recent contributors to TOAW 4.
I have converted the TOAW3 .eqp files to TOAW4. The eqp. files seem to load OK, and even with the rudimentary PO control of ARVN/MACV, the first few scenarios run to completion without a hitch. I see no problem with the terrain. It is hard for me to evaluate the Events but there are several contributors with a higher security clearance than mine.
If you have any specific changes you would like, we would be happy to give it a go.

Naturally, all credit will be given to you.
Merci
RAK

Attachments
Diwi.jpg
Diwi.jpg (41.21 KiB) Viewed 358 times
r6kunz

Post by r6kunz »

Here is the reply I received from my email to Stéphane when I queried him a while back on what problems he had with Vietnam Combat Operations in TOAW IV.
Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT <stephane.moutin-luyat@wanadoo.fr>
Mon, Nov 20, 2017, 12:42 PM
to me

Map graphics mostly, new hill and mountain tiles have completely altered the way I drew the original map.

Envoyé depuis l'application Mail Orange[/i]

I do not think this is a problem that could not be overcome. Can the Classic TOAW III terrain tiles be placed in the Graphics Override folders for the VCO scenarios so that only those scenarios will have the classic map but not the other scenarios in the game?

sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Hey Rob, good news - you can use the classic graphics the same way we could in versions earlier than IV. It was something they thankfully 'fixed' just before release.

Also, if you like the pre-IV BMP's like many of us, someone painstakingly converted them all to png's for use with IV. They can be found here, along with instructions for use [although as I said the way to use them hasn't changed from earlier version]:
tm.asp?m=4378126

So I guess there is no reason to hold these scenarios back. Actually, I think the designer doesn't even have to do anything, the user's can add in whatever graphics they desire. [Wish the developers would do the same thing for the icon sheets].
r6kunz

Post by r6kunz »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

Hey Rob, good news - you can use the classic graphics the same way we could in versions earlier than IV. It was something they thankfully 'fixed' just before release.

Also, if you like the pre-IV BMP's like many of us, someone painstakingly converted them all to png's for use with IV. They can be found here, along with instructions for use [although as I said the way to use them hasn't changed from earlier version]:
tm.asp?m=4378126

So I guess there is no reason to hold these scenarios back. Actually, I think the designer doesn't even have to do anything, the user's can add in whatever graphics they desire. [Wish the developers would do the same thing for the icon sheets].

Hey, Steve, that did the trick!
Here is an image of the AO that my avatar was in...using Classic Terrain.

Attachments
TOAW An Loc.jpg
TOAW An Loc.jpg (317.94 KiB) Viewed 358 times
r6kunz

Post by r6kunz »

and here is an image of the same area in Vietnam Combat Ops in TOAW 4 terrain...

Any opinions on which is more suitable for Vietnam? Maybe we can get Stephane's opinion.

Attachments
TOAWAnLocnew.jpg
TOAWAnLocnew.jpg (253.94 KiB) Viewed 359 times
BigDuke66

Post by BigDuke66 »

The first looks like the transition between the different terrains is better. On the lower these "sandy" parts look strange.
In the end the old terrain should be provide with a description for users how to use it, this way they can decide if to go with the old or the new terrain graphics.
Cabido

Post by Cabido »

I like the TOAW IV version best, but I also like the yellowish (almost orange) tones near the villages, mixing with the rest, on the old version. They deliver this jungle like feeling (less well defined, more chaotic). Is this arid terrain? In the TOAW IV version picture, it looks almost like sand. I would just change the color tone for it.
I don't like the edgy curves for the roads, rails and rivers on the old version.
r6kunz

Post by r6kunz »

ORIGINAL: Cabido

I like the TOAW IV version best, but I also like the yellowish (almost orange) tones near the villages, mixing with the rest, on the old version. They deliver this jungle like feeling (less well defined, more chaotic). Is this arid terrain? In the TOAW IV version picture, it looks almost like sand. I would just change the color tone for it.
I don't like the edgy curves for the roads, rails, and rivers on the old version.

Some parts of the jungles were sandy. An Loc was terre rouge- red laterite planted with rubber plantations. I am not sure how to model that...

Attachments
AnLocRu..trees1.jpg
AnLocRu..trees1.jpg (4.47 MiB) Viewed 367 times

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”