Carriers Spotting?

Strategic Command WWII World at War Tech Support
James Taylor

Carriers Spotting?

Post by James Taylor »

Has anybody noticed that CVs are not getting their full spotting range?

I played an old save of SoE and everything was fine, first stop 3 radius spotting, but in WaW only 1,

even though "properties" showed 3.

Did something change with the new patch?
SeaMonkey
James Taylor

RE: Carriers Spotting?

Post by James Taylor »

Passive spotting is not working as in WiE for CVs or maritime bombers. LR ineffectual.

Active spotting WaD when the flying feature is user enabled.
SeaMonkey
Kornstalx

Post by Kornstalx »

I just tested this in a custom blank scenario. CV spotting is working fine, it spots 3 hexes out default and the LR upgrades increase this.

Are you sure you're not testing this vs units you're not at war with? Naval spotting won't reveal enemy ships if that nation isn't a belligerent.
James Taylor

Post by James Taylor »

OK, simple test for everyone.

Load up Hotseat WaW 1.02 Race to Victory 43-45 and find Jap CVL in Yokohama. Note illuminated hexes(spotted) before moving and pull up spotting(Naval) properties = 3(5). This means the spotted radius should be 5 hexes. Move CVL east out to sea, note spotted(illuminated) hexes.

Now go to WiE 1.15 D-Day to Berlin, load up hotseat. Examine US Ranger CV outside Yarmouth and observe spotted (illuminated) hexes and also pull up the CV's properties spotting(Naval) = 3(6).

Go to maritime bombers in St. Johns, north of the carriers position and note spotted hexes and properties 2(8).

Move Ranger CV east, out to sea, and observe the radius of spotted hexes.

Get it?
SeaMonkey
Kornstalx

Post by Kornstalx »

I think you're misunderstanding spotting. It doesn't illuminate anything beyond 1 hex regardless of the spotting statistic. It will, however, put belligerent units on the map within the darkened hexes if after the unit's first move only there are any within this distance at the destination hex, or any that were along this distance's path as it traveled. If you move the unit a second time it's spotting will be only one hex for any part of that move, including the destination.

But nothing lights up on the map as part of spotting. Illumination is only 1 hex.
James Taylor

Post by James Taylor »

Did you do the test?
SeaMonkey
Kornstalx

Post by Kornstalx »

In this start of turn image there are two UK carriers, top one with Long Range at level 2 (5-hex vision), the bottom one is stock (3-hex vision). You can see at the start of the turn before even moving the top one can see the DE sub 5 hexes away.

After moving the bottom (normal) CV to the hex 3 spaces away from Bremen's port, it reveals the enemy destroyer.

After moving the top (LR2) CV closer to Denmark, it reveals the entire DE fleet in the Baltic that is within 5 hexes.

Nothing is ever illuminated on your screen beyond the first hex. But spotting works the full range as long as you haven't moved more than once. If you keep inching forward one-hex at a time with any unit, your spotting is reduced to 1 hex each move. This is in the rulebook.
James Taylor

Post by James Taylor »

OK, I understand, but go to WiE and see how it works there, the mechanism has changed.
SeaMonkey
Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

Thanks SeaMonkey for the report and I did make an optimization change that looks to have broken something as you've noted above. I'll fix this for the next update.

Return to “Tech Support”