subs

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

witpaemail

subs

Post by witpaemail »

recent 2 player game. Axis player flooded the Irish sea with ships and subs and left a line of subs between him and me. On my turn airstrikes on the front line subs, sub submerges but cant go anywhere because of the massive numbers of ships, so it stays in the hex. More strikes, more submerges and no retreat or damage. Screw it, I quit the game. If the sub CANT retreat because the player intentionally left no place for it to retreat to, seems to me it should not only take the damage, but should take an extra point for having to move through an enemy hex to return to the hex it was attacked from - in other words an added penalty for trying to "game the system"...

Thoughts?
Dorky8

RE: subs

Post by Dorky8 »

I think they are making big changes to sub warfare in the next update

witpaemail

Post by witpaemail »

They need to. Subs are WAY too effective vs DDs at least as it is now.
Dorky8

Post by Dorky8 »

It is annoying when people use very aggressive tactics with subs because they are near invincible early in the game. I've had a bunch of people playing Axis use the same tactic u mention for Sealion. All you can do is destroy the British Navy to try to stop it.

Look at Maritime bombers & motor boats they are cheap and are good against ships & subs.

If someone fills the Irish sea (BS move by the way) with subs & ships and you use the maritime bombers/bombers (with naval research) and carriers their surface ships wont be there long.

Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

CVLs are pretty awesome versus subs.
"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft
witpaemail

Post by witpaemail »

ORIGINAL: Dorky8

It is annoying when people use very aggressive tactics with subs because they are near invincible early in the game. I've had a bunch of people playing Axis use the same tactic u mention for Sealion. All you can do is destroy the British Navy to try to stop it.

Look at Maritime bombers & motor boats they are cheap and are good against ships & subs.

If someone fills the Irish sea (BS move by the way) with subs & ships and you use the maritime bombers/bombers (with naval research) and carriers their surface ships wont be there long.

Oh, I know, but I needed to move some of his subs for maneuvering room. I couldnt move ANYTHING, so I had to force some of the subs back so I could move SOMETHING.
Dorky8

Post by Dorky8 »

I think the new update fixes a bunch of this stuff. Subs cant dive at 0 supply, block supply at 0 and may take so damage when they dive. I'm not sure when the new release comes out its been in the works a long time.

I always have maritime bombers in GB, subs wont block them.

Once a sub cant dive or retreat they will be in trouble with bombers.

witpaemail

Post by witpaemail »

Oh, Im sure the new changes would have made a world of difference in that game. Those subs had been at sea for probably a year before they came into the Irish Sea
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Axis player flooded the Irish sea with ships and subs
Ok, it happens.
my turn airstrikes on the front line subs
Wait ... you've got an Irish Sea full of enemy ships and you use your airstrikes on subsurface units ? [X(]

Bombing 101 - Bombs on Ships do damage, Bombs on Water Do Little Damage.
witpaemail

Post by witpaemail »

Yeah, and subs sink carriers. If I didnt move his subs, my carriers were dead next turn because I couldnt move them.

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”