Wow I have no clue - Xargun (A) vs ASUBROB (J) [No ASUROBs]

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Xargun

RE: Wow I have no clue - Xargun (A) vs ASUBROB (J) [No ASUROBs]

Post by Xargun »

Not sure what I could have done differently other than split my 6 CVs into 3 TFs instead of 2. I also noticed some of the air group leaders were crap and they are replaced now - should have checked beforehand. Oh well... I have another 3 or 4 CVs back on the west coast and as long as Rob doesn't bomb Auckland port, everything will survive for now.

So first CV battle of the war - the IJN wins hands down...

Xargun
anarchyintheuk

Post by anarchyintheuk »

Could have gone far worse. Pretty bad shooting by the Kates.
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

That's amazing! [:D]
ORIGINAL: Xargun

Morning of June 11th.. The captains are just waking up at dawn to prepare for a day of possible sea and air action against the damn Japanese carriers that are terrorizing the South Pacific... Little did the captain know that the newly installed radar wasn't hooked up....

The captain sat in his chair and looked out the front windows and had an accident...

Not sure who was more surprised... Rob or me.. I thought we might have some action, but didn't expect the CVs to duke it out with guns...
Created by the amazing Dixie
Admiral DadMan

Post by Admiral DadMan »

Hornet and Wasp cannot get west fast enough.

It is heartening to see my mod being put to good use...
Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
Xargun

Post by Xargun »

I must admit I am overwhelmed in this game. I have received more units, air groups and ships in 6 months of the war than Japan gets the entire war !!! I don't know what to do with them all. Still not sure which planes are the best, but am simply going by the fact of which ones I remember kicking my ass... namely the P40 at this point in the war. I got some B-17s operating out of Oz and they are tearing up enemy held bases they can reach... Its nice to be on the giving side of that exchange for once as well.

Xargun
Admiral DadMan

Post by Admiral DadMan »

Perhaps I'll have to look at some of that this summer when life slows down
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

That's amazing! [:D]

Morning of June 11th.. The captains are just waking up at dawn to prepare for a day of possible sea and air action against the damn Japanese carriers that are terrorizing the South Pacific... Little did the captain know that the newly installed radar wasn't hooked up....

The captain sat in his chair and looked out the front windows and had an accident...

Not sure who was more surprised... Rob or me.. I thought we might have some action, but didn't expect the CVs to duke it out with guns...
This is why the US kept those 8" guns on Lex and Sara.
Xargun

Post by Xargun »

One thing that surprised me was the amount of damage that IJN TF has already taken. I haven't caught them with anything since war start, so I'm guessing Rob has been running this TF ragged since day one. Almost every ship was smoking and I know I haven't done any damage to them before this point. So it must be simple wear and tear on the ships. As soon as they CVs go into dry dock for repairs / upgrades I will be taking back some islands. I have 2 US INF Divisions sitting in Auckland right now and a Marine Div landing there as soon as the KB is out of the area. Another wave of fighters and base units just left the west coast heading for Auckland. I find myself at a shortage of APs on the west coast. I have some baby ones, but nothing that can help move the amount of troops I still need to move. I'm guessing another month before I have all the troops moved - possibly more depending on what arrives during this time.

Xargun
Bif1961

Post by Bif1961 »

If I were him I would send every plane from the KB against Auckland sinking whatever is there before sending my ships for their soon coming upgrades. It does him no good to just damage your carriers he has to sink them and wherever he can. So you best course of action has already been taken moving what can be moved away from Auckland and move every possible fighter to there and defend what you can.
Xargun

Post by Xargun »

ORIGINAL: Bif1961

If I were him I would send every plane from the KB against Auckland sinking whatever is there before sending my ships for their soon coming upgrades. It does him no good to just damage your carriers he has to sink them and wherever he can. So you best course of action has already been taken moving what can be moved away from Auckland and move every possible fighter to there and defend what you can.

I did that :) I left the Wasp and Saratoga in Auckland port as their damage was too high to risk moving. I stripped all planes off them and put them into repair - Saratoga is to big for Auckland repair yard, but Wasp was not. I also left a couple AMs there everything else was evacuated beforehand.

The turn came back and as expected the KB moved back and hit Auckland port sinking the Wasp. Both the Wasp and Saratoga took 20+ bomb hits. Saratoga is in bad shape but still floating. My fighters did very little to his expert Zeros, but we did down a few in Air to Air and more from flak from all the units there. I believe over the two days he lost 50 aircraft bombing Auckland - mostly to flak. His air groups have to be low now and his sorties left. He should be pulling back to at least Rabaul to refuel and rearm - that will give me a bit of breathing room.

In good news, I managed to sneak a medium-sized AK into Suva and so far have offloaded 1400 supplies there. Betties from Noumea attacked twice, but couldn't land any bombs. I hope to unload the other 1800 supplies before the KB sinks her on their way home. I have a couple more AKs laden with supplies in the area, waiting their turn to sneak in and unload. Suva has level 5 forts and so far have repulsed every attack against them. Rob has a bunch of units there but so far Suva is holding. If the KB leaves I can dump a Marine Div there to secure it. But I need to be sure KB is gone before trying that.

Xargun
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

Xargun, where are your Dutch subs and S boats?
Created by the amazing Dixie
Xargun

Post by Xargun »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

Xargun, where are your Dutch subs and S boats?

Sorry for the slow response. Those boats don't have long legs and I've been using them trying to snag some ships around Noumea or as trip wires near other bases...

Xargun
Xargun

Post by Xargun »

Its mid July and the war is not going good...

The unstoppable Japanese Juggernaut is slowly grabbing islands in the South Pacific. Suva fell a few weeks ago to a 2 Division attack. I figured out why Rob is being so aggressive.. He knows he has CV advantage (and he's grouping them all together) AND with the plethora of Political Points in this mod he has bought out all of Kwangtung in the first month or two. He is invading everywhere with 1 to 2 division forces backed up by 10+ carriers. Last turn he started invading the Society Islands in the far South pacific. Not sure where he is getting all this fuel -- or the ability to move it to his CVs, but its getting crazy. He will have OZ completely cut off from the US soon and there is nothing I can do. Even if I hadn't lost 2 CVs he outnumbers me in the air by 2-1 or more still.

I just delivered 2 full divisions to Auckland and some misc units and 250k fuel is arriving over the next two turns, but not sure what I'll be able to deliver after that. I tried to fly some B-17s to OZ and they got as far as Christmas Island and can go no further as I don't have anything between there and Auckland with any sort of airfield.

He just smashed a few chinese units with a stack of Japanese including 10 full divisions in china. I guess I didn't realize we were playing without stacking limits nor did I realize the punch he would have so early. Against a veteran Allied player it probably wouldn't be so bad, but against such a newbie as me...

How do you resist against 2 division invasions as the allies at this point in the game when he has total air superiority?

Xargun
Admiral DadMan

Post by Admiral DadMan »

...AND with the plethora of Political Points in this mod ....

Xargun
Yeah, I'm going to have to re-think that decision...
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
Xargun

Post by Xargun »

ORIGINAL: Admiral DadMan

Xargun

Yeah.. I have 2 million PPs right now :)

Xargun
Bif1961

Post by Bif1961 »

Never having played this mod I guess my advice is only as good as it can be and not specific. The more he takes the more he has to defend and he will leave gaps and opportunities for reconquests. You might bring supplies in through Perth via Capetown if that supply lane is still available. Subs, mines and forts will all help against further invasions. Even in stock the Japanese can take Noumea, Fiji or Pago-Pago against a dug in division if he wants, but what that does is free up other areas to conduct operations knowing where the monster KB is and use your combined carriers elsewhere to slow his advance in that direction. The good news is you are now entering a phase where you start to get reinforcements, so there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Admiral DadMan

Post by Admiral DadMan »

ORIGINAL: Admiral DadMan

Xargun

Yeah.. I have 2 million PPs right now :)

Xargun
"Fun and Engaging"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
Xargun

Post by Xargun »

Well its August 1st and I finally had a break of luck. Off the coast of Nadi, the dutch subs strike. At night (on July 31st) SS KXIV spots a large IJN TF and attacks. He fires 6 torpedoes at the BB Nagato - here I was all figuring they would miss.. boy was I wrong. Half the spread is reported to hit the IJN BB !!

Sub attack near Nadi at 130,160

Japanese Ships
BB Nagato, Torpedo hits 3, heavy damage
BB Owari
CB Ishikari
CA Atago
CL Jintsu
DD Oboro
DD Hibiki
xAK Tatuha Maru
xAK Hohuku Maru
xAK Hauraki Maru
xAK Matumoto Maru
xAK Sanko Maru
xAK Keisyo Maru
xAK Nissan Maru
xAK Yamabiko Maru
DD Yunagi
DD Asanagi
DD Hayate
DD Oite

Allied Ships
SS KXIV

Those torps set up more action on Aug 1st when another Ducth sub O19 spotted the Nagato off by herself (probably with a DD or 2) and fired 4 torpedoes. Once again half hit for another 2 hits and I was a bit upset when I didn't immediately hear sinking sounds after the fight.

Sub attack near Nadi at 130,159

Japanese Ships
BB Nagato, Torpedo hits 2, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS O19

Then a moment later the O19 struck again hitting with 4 out of the 6 torpedoes fired. Unfortunately 2 were duds, but still an amazing showing by the Dutch...

Sub attack near Nadi at 130,159

Japanese Ships
BB Nagato, Torpedo hits 2, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS O19

This time the combat was followed by sinking noises - the BB Nagato (if identified correctly) is now a new reef. This makes me happier. Both subs escaoed any damage as well.

Not much else happened other than the IJA taking Lashio and a few more islands near Pago Pago being invaded by Japanese troops.

Xargun
Attachments
Nagato Easts a Torp.jpg
Nagato Easts a Torp.jpg (157.4 KiB) Viewed 375 times
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Great luck indeed to sink an IJN BB with subs! Well done!
Did you change the skippers of the Dutch subs? I had trouble finding enough with decent aggression.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Xargun

Post by Xargun »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Great luck indeed to sink an IJN BB with subs! Well done!
Did you change the skippers of the Dutch subs? I had trouble finding enough with decent aggression.

I have spent a lot of time - especially since Rob likes to push turns as fast as possible - to adjust skippers. I know I went through them all at some point but can't remember which I changed and which I didn't.. I do know I changed probably half the US sub skippers though...

Xargun

Return to “After Action Reports”