And now for something completely different...

Please post here for questions and discussion about modding for Strategic Command.
mroyer

Post by mroyer »

BELLUM GALAXIA

A while ago, I set out to do a 1937 to 1939 Sino-Japanese Confict campaign ( tm.asp?m=4450188&mpage=1&key=War%2CResistance� ). I built up a nice map of China and embarked on the campaign itself. As I worked to add flavor and effect to the scenario, it became painfully clear to me that I would need to have a far better understanding of scripting, AI, the game engine and how the subtler interplay of those elements unfolded and affected each other.

So, as a pedigogical effort to help get a better, more indepth understanding I decided to push the limits of the game engine. This might help me understand just what is and isn't possible and give a clearer understanding of the interactions of the various parts of the engine. With that, I figured what could push the engine more than taking the game intended for historical simulation in exactly the opposite direction - to the far future.

Thus was born the Bellum Galaxia project. At first I was just tinkering to see what I could accomplish. As time went, the effort took on a life of it's own and momentum pushed my own interest to see if I could get something so radical going. I've made a LOT of progress and many things seem to be working well. Yet, there is a ton of work in front of me. So much, indeed, I'm not sure if I'll ever finish.

But, nevertheless, I figured I'd share what I've done and how it looks so far. Perhaps some of the historical minded folks here also have a penchant for the future history too and will be interested in what I've done.

Attachments
background_16x9.jpg
background_16x9.jpg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 664 times
mroyer

RE: And now for something completely different...

Post by mroyer »

2.1. Timeline
2030-2120: Global warming causes significant continental distortion from sea rise, violent storms, earthquakes and tectonic plate destabilization.
2045: First permanent settlement on Mars established
2046: First permanent settlement on the moon (Luna) established
2048: Luna terraforming project begins
2055: Mars terraforming projects begin
2075: Mining colonies of the asteroids started
2077: Project Venus – stripping of 75% of it’s atmosphere before terraforming can begin
2078: Theoretical mathematics has been worked out for interstellar jump points – massively complex, high-precision computations are required to predict jump point locations.
2085: Venus terraforming project started
2087: First permanent Venus settlement established
2105: The Apocalypse – nuclear holocaust on planet Earth and Luna nearly ends life on those worlds
2111: Accurate jump point between Sol and Alpha Centauri calculated with 98.7% confidence and first jump expedition is funded. Jump point calculations to other stars begin to accelerate to approximately one per year (but at this early time most have low confidence levels).
2113: First jump expedition is launched to and successfully returns from Alpha Centauri
2117: First permanent settlement established on Alpha Centauri world of Rigel Kantaris
2125: 1st Terran Empire established to control all of human space (Solar system and Alpha Centauri system at that time) with the aim of preventing a repeat of the The Apocalypse.
2135-2200: First period of interstellar expansion and colonialization.
2190: The Second Apocalypse – The 1st Terran Empire collapses from conflict and mutual destruction between the Solar System and nearby colonies (Beta Hydri and Alpha Centauri)
2200-2330: Dark ages – loss of interstellar communications. Local civilizations re-develop and re-build civilization and technologies independently of each other.
2330: Discovery of old technology texts on Earth along with new research re-establishes jump point capability.
2335-2390: Re-discovery – human worlds relink. A series of minor political and trade conflicts occur. With the lead in old and new technology, Earth is able to dominate interstellar community – politically and economically.
2409: The 2nd Terran Empire is established with capital seat on Earth.
2420-2475: Second period of interstellar expansion and colonization. General level of high prosperity and trade throughout human space.
2470-2490: A period of corruption erodes the empire as periphery worlds break away. The empire is unable or unwilling to slow the decay.
2499: The Armageddon – The 2nd Terran Empire is defeated as it’s star armada is destroyed near the L4 Lagrange point of Jupiter by a confederation of independent worlds led by Tau Ceti.
2523: SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) discovers low-level, electro-magnetic transmissions in patterns that suggest an extra-terrestrial civilization somewhere in the direction of the galactic core.
2525: Bellum Galaxia – the war to establish 3rd Terran Empire begins.

2.2. Backstory
From global warming, two apocalypses and an Armageddon, the earthly continents have become nearly unrecognizable.
After searching for nearly half of a millennium, SETI has finally detected electro-magnetic transmissions that many believe are the signature of an extra-terrestrial civilization. To date, the transmissions have not been successfully translated nor even confirmed that the source is intelligent life.
Nevertheless, in the wake of the discovery on Earth and throughout the Solar System, political, social and religious movements are calling for the immediate and swift establishment of a 3rd Terran Empire to once again bring all the worlds of human space under a unified political structure so that humanity presents a singular, consistent voice of strength to any extraterrestrial civilization. In their view, it is critical to establish the 3rd empire prior to first-contact with the alien civilization.

2.3. Tau Ceti Confederation of Independent Worlds
Counter movements throughout human space reject the notion of yet another Terran controlled empire. Elements of this movement have coalesced, especially in outer star systems. In particular, the Tau worlds of the Tau Ceti System have formulated the establishment of a Tau Confederation of Independent Worlds for the purpose of resisting domination by the Terrans. Twice before unification under Terran leadership has led to massive and widespread misery and destruction followed by dark ages throughout human space. That must be prevented from ever happening again; a remote possibility of first-contact with an alien civilization is merely a thin excuse to re-establish Terran hegemony.

2.4. Other Resistance Groups
The Tau led opposition to Terran hegemony is a moderate movement designed to hold the Terran efforts at bay and maintain the current status quo of economic prosperity throughout human space. There exists, however, more extreme versions of the anti-Terran movement in isolated pockets of remote worlds. This form of resistance envisions a total reversal to utter destruction of the Terran home worlds (and in some versions all worlds of the Solar System) to save all future generations from any risk of another Terrain Empire.
These radicalized groups are generally small, underfunded and largely isolated from one another. The undercurrent attitude that they embody, however, could cause any particular group to swell at an unpredictable moment.

Attachments
JumpRoutes.jpg
JumpRoutes.jpg (303.72 KiB) Viewed 664 times
mroyer

Post by mroyer »

Earth

Attachments
Earth.jpg
Earth.jpg (130.09 KiB) Viewed 664 times
mroyer

Post by mroyer »

Earth Luna

Attachments
EarthLuna.jpg
EarthLuna.jpg (723 KiB) Viewed 664 times
mroyer

Post by mroyer »

War Map

Attachments
WarMaps.jpg
WarMaps.jpg (235.65 KiB) Viewed 665 times
mroyer

Post by mroyer »

Research

Attachments
Research.jpg
Research.jpg (155.25 KiB) Viewed 664 times
mroyer

Post by mroyer »

Asteroid Belt and jump point to Beta Hydri Star System

Attachments
AsteroidBe..umpPoint.jpg
AsteroidBe..umpPoint.jpg (785.66 KiB) Viewed 664 times
mroyer

Post by mroyer »

Tau Ceti

Attachments
TauCeti.jpg
TauCeti.jpg (693.17 KiB) Viewed 664 times
mroyer

Post by mroyer »

Venus

Attachments
Venus.jpg
Venus.jpg (153.99 KiB) Viewed 664 times
mroyer

Post by mroyer »

Purchase

Attachments
Purchase.jpg
Purchase.jpg (218.2 KiB) Viewed 664 times
mroyer

Post by mroyer »

Diplomacy

Attachments
Diplomacy.jpg
Diplomacy.jpg (110.83 KiB) Viewed 664 times
mroyer

Post by mroyer »

Choose Sides

Attachments
ChooseSides.jpg
ChooseSides.jpg (62.75 KiB) Viewed 664 times
nnason

Post by nnason »

This looks interesting and I applaud the effort. Is this planned to be a mod that can be PBEM?
Live Long and Prosper,
Noah Nason
LTC Field Artillery
US Army Retired
mroyer

Post by mroyer »

ORIGINAL: nnason

This looks interesting and I applaud the effort. Is this planned to be a mod that can be PBEM?

I don't have an specific plan in mind. The reality is, it takes such a huge amount of time to build and script a campaign from the ground up, I'm not sure I will even be able to finish it - it's like a having second full-time job, and that's not enough.

Perhaps, if others are interested in helping script stuff and whatnot, it might happen. In the meantime, I'll keep plodding along learning how the game engine works :)

It's quite a testament to the power of this game engine that I've even been able to get this far. Giant kudos to the developers.

-Mark R.

Photonred

Post by Photonred »

I think I'm in love
nnason

Post by nnason »

I suggest PBEM only. Would be a lot less work. And contact developers they might have suggestions.

I am to busy right now to take on a helping hand. ARE THERE OTHERS OUT THERE WHO MIGHT BE INTERETED IN HELPING?
Live Long and Prosper,
Noah Nason
LTC Field Artillery
US Army Retired
mroyer

Post by mroyer »

ORIGINAL: nnason

I suggest PBEM only. Would be a lot less work.

Why is PBEM only a lot less work? Because there isn't any AI and so no AI scripting?
Or are you thinking of something else beyond that?

-Mark R.

SIPRES

Post by SIPRES »

Superb work, I really like your tiles graphics for the planets.
Keep going that direction, It will be I am sure a very interesting campaign
nnason

Post by nnason »

I think AI programing would require a huge amount of programming and a lot of play testing to see if got right.
Live Long and Prosper,
Noah Nason
LTC Field Artillery
US Army Retired
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

That looks seriously impressive! [&o] [:)]
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”