Midway Remembered

Uncommon Valor: Campaign for the South Pacific covers the campaigns for New Guinea, New Britain, New Ireland and the Solomon chain.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Tankerace, siRkid

Wild Bill

Midway Remembered

Post by Wild Bill »

A little late but still pertinent. The Midway battle took place 61 years ago on June 6th 1942. It turned the tide of war in the Pacific.

Since there many lovers of the sea and those majestic craft that ride upon or under her, I thought you might like to take a read of my newest article, "Midway Remembered."

I'd be interested in your thoughts. Its a rather long article but I think it will be worth your while. It gives some inside personal views of what those men felt during those momentous days.

http://www.wargamer.com/articles/midway ... efault.asp

Thanks,
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Drex

Post by Drex »

It was a good read Bill. Definitely was one of the greatest battles in world history. I wish they would remake the movie using today's special effects, maybe spending more time about the garrison at Midway and what they went through. What happend to George Gay after the battle? Did he survive the war. Surely earned a decoration.
Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

I met George Gay at an Air Show in Gwinnett County about 8 years ago. He was in his 70s and in pretty bad health. He still had an active mind and remembered well the events of that day.

I felt like I had met a hero. Well, I had. Humble and kind, he never showed any pretentious attitude. It was an honor to be in his presence.

I heard he passed away about three years ago. Torpedo 8 is now complete. A silent salute to all those great men who knew what they were facing and did it anyway!

Wild Bill
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Mike_B20

Post by Mike_B20 »

I liked the article too Wild Bill.
It had a different feel to it from other accounts of Midway I've read and even though I knew all the events pretty well already I found myself drawn into the drama once again.

There were a few historical details I hadn't read before, like Yamamoto confining himself to his cabin, refusing to communicate with those on board on the way back to Japan and the large flag unfurled on Yorktown after they got her under way after the Vals struck.

One thing I was wondering about...I thought the operation to scout Pearl Harbor by floatplane was cancelled because a US destroyer was at the refueling atoll (can't remember the name) and the IJN sub couldn't make the rendezvous.
In your account you mention a US sub at the atoll.
Never give up, never surrender
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

Interesting. I'm not sure about that one, Mike. its been a few months since I researched all of this, but I'll see what I can find. You could be correct. I honestly can't remember.

Glad you enjoyed the article...WB
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
SoulBlazer

Post by SoulBlazer »

Great article! Very well written and supported.

My first MA is in American History and I did my thesis on carrier use in the Pacific War for both sides, so I'd like to think I know a good thing when I read it. :D

I'm inclined to agree with the assesment of the operator of the Combined Fleet website and some historians that the overall long range impact of the battle of Midway was small. (We could have otproduced Japan in carriers soon enough anyway, Midway could never really be held, and the war would only have been delayed a year.) However, that's not to say what the effect on morale and tactics caused by the battle was. It was truly one of the greatest victories in the history of the United States.

Your final paragraph mentions two Japanese heavy cruisers sunk on the last day of the battle by US air strikes. That's in error, as only one (the Mikuma) was sunk. The other (Mogami) was crippled -- the US pilots THOUGH she was sinking, as the famous photo shows -- but she managed to make Truk and then the home islands. She was out of the war for a year, though.

Great read all around!
The US Navy could probaly win a war without coffee, but would prefer not to try -- Samuel Morison
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

Thanks Soulblazer. Once again a conflict of sources. I appreciate your update on the two cruisers. I'll look into this some more.

Funny how different books have different facts. Sometimes you have to weigh the writer's credibility and his sources against that of another to make a decisioni.

At any rate, I"m glad you enjoyed the article. Hopefully we can do more in the future.

WB
==========
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

Return to “Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific”