Notes from a Small Island

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Canoerebel

RE: Notes from a Small Island

Post by Canoerebel »

4/28/45

TNNBT: Death Star and The Herd moved just two hexes (as planned). All the lagging carrier TFs (late reinforcements that came sprinting from West Coast and Hawaii) rendezvoused with the armada. Some of the lagging transports did too, but I still have a big group of transports lagging by seven hexes (they made 0 or 1 today, probably because they also did refueling yesterday). So at least one more day of slow movement to corral this herd of horses (cats, as John III nicely puts it).

Recon expanded to lots of new bases today, including Iriomote, Kume Jima, Tungchow, Foochow, Nanning, and others. Still very good numbers showing up. At the moment, I show the top four targets with no garrisons or small garrisons (more recon may reveal flaws in those numbers, but Erik doesn't have the kind of numbers to stop what's coming). The fifth target - the emergency one - I haven't and won't recon, as I'm 99.99% sure it's vacant.

Erik hasn't defended really yet. I don't expect him to employ his air power yet. I think it's more likely that he'll commit all kinds of small fry - up to CL size - in an effort to scatter and harry the armada. He may hold of springing things until the armada is much deeper into his "kill zone," as opposed to trying for a big punch that might disrupt or even stop the invasion.

I tweaked carrier fighter settings today. Some fighters were still standing down to deal with high fatigue (Death Star has been at sea since about 1928). Things look good.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

4/28/45

A visual of TNNBT underway, emphasizing spread of recon targets.

Of the numerous bases reconned since the flurry began two turns ago, basically none had ever before been under surveillance. So Erik has subs and recon of bases from the northern Yellow Sea to the Indochina coast to consider. The sub field may or may not add to the effect.

The Allied advance has been erratic. The advantage of that is that its unpredictable - Erik probably can't fine tune an ambush (yet). Also, the extra time will allow for more recon. The info I'm getting is very good and encouraging.

Attachments
042845TNNBT.jpg
042845TNNBT.jpg (716.17 KiB) Viewed 110 times
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

I think his reaction to you is going to depend on where you hit him at. One place might merit a full scale reprisal and others - moderate or none.

Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

That's true. I think he'd welcome an invasion of the Philippines but won't tolerate Yellow Sea or Shikoku.

Hey, your provocative avatar and signature made me laugh.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

I've been mulling over taking a break from AAR posting. I noticed months ago that readership is down considerably. That's probably partly due to the Forum population (Bullwinkle, crsutton, Paullus, and even Chickenboy are seldom show up or comment, along with many others) and partly to my saying things, and sticking my nose into things, that haven't endeared me with a lot of good folks. I thought about it more over the weekend. I decided I definitely will see things through TNNBT invasion. If the invasion goes well, that's when I may take a sabbatical for awhile. If the wheels come off during the invasion, I won't take a sabbatical, as things would then really be interesting to readers and it would be bad form to disappear just when I'd taken my lumps. So, Bad Invasion, I stick around. Good invasion, I may take a break for awhile.

As for the other game, I think I will take a break from it for awhile.
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

That's true. I think he'd welcome an invasion of the Philippines but won't tolerate Yellow Sea or Shikoku.

Hey, your provocative avatar and signature made me laugh.

That's what I hoped for. The "experts" got us in this mess And I don't think they are going to get us out of it.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." Mao Tse Tung

tarkalak

Post by tarkalak »

You and obvert are building a nice narrative of your game.

I do not post often, because I am very inexperienced in the game and I don't want to slip something from your opponent's point of view.

I enjoy reading both your AARs recently and will miss it if you decide to take a pause.
I do not know what is scarier: that I do understand nothing of this demonic script or that I am starting to see the demons that it evokes.

Me, studying for a PHD entry exam in Applied Mathematics.
Mark VII

Post by Mark VII »

I for one very much enjoy reading about your wars. Hope you decide to keep your AAR's going, maybe 2 or 3 days per post. Your thoughts on plans and what went right or wrong are very insightful.

I've been mulling over taking a break from AAR posting. I noticed months ago that readership is down considerably. That's probably partly due to the Forum population (Bullwinkle, crsutton, Paullus, and even Chickenboy are seldom show up or comment, along with many others) and partly to my saying things, and sticking my nose into things, that haven't endeared me with a lot of good folks. I thought about it more over the weekend. I decided I definitely will see things through TNNBT invasion. If the invasion goes well, that's when I may take a sabbatical for awhile. If the wheels come off during the invasion, I won't take a sabbatical, as things would then really be interesting to readers and it would be bad form to disappear just when I'd taken my lumps. So, Bad Invasion, I stick around. Good invasion, I may take a break for awhile.

As for the other game, I think I will take a break from it for awhile.
jwolf

Post by jwolf »

So, Bad Invasion, I stick around. Good invasion, I may take a break for awhile.

This gives moral hazard to your fans: we would hope for failure so you keep writing! [:'(] Seriously, do what's right for you. The rest of us will manage either way.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Yeah, I thought of that. I may have put the kybosh on my own invasion! Bad karma!

By the way, I hope my confession didn't come across as phishing for feedback. I know there are a number of you regular readers - probably 10 or 20 or thereabouts. I appreciate all of you. And this Forum is the best by far that I've ever been a part of. I've gotten crossways with quite a few Forumites in the past year or two, some on them and some on me. But I've never lost the impression that the Forum is (with one possible exception) populated by good men (and the occasional good woman).
konevkovskiy

Post by konevkovskiy »

CR,
I have been following your AAR's for near a decade. I always appreciate the balance of graphics and details that have come to exemplify your content. Life balance is important for all of us and I appreciate the opportunity to live vicariously through your AAR's. I know if I bought this game I would be obsessed and my wife and children would not enjoy that.

I would not be surprised if there were not several more lurking readers like myself.

With my sincere gratitude, KonevK
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

I read EVERYTHING! So I comment on nothing. Loose lips, and all that.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
pontiouspilot

Post by pontiouspilot »

Hey I read you religiously...I don't post much because I read your opponent too.
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

Read, little to no comments, they seem to be taken wrong.
Bearcat2

Post by Bearcat2 »

Read your AAR every day; Thanks
"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Hey, Bill, I recall when one (or several) of my posts struck you wrong. But that was one of those exasperating cases where the written word didn't accurately communicate my tone or thoughts. IE, I was making a neutral point, not one that was critical or negative. But you're not the only reader that's felt that way. I can think of at least three others. For instance, a week or two back, Jeff in Kansas somehow took my comment in support of folks who stick with sports teams in good times and bad...and felt like I was saying the exact opposite. It's been pretty weird, of late.That's one of the reasons I'm feeling some forum fatigue.
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

Actually CR, that was only one small event, I have had other posts in other threads that did not seem to be taken the way I intended.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

By me?
brian800000

Post by brian800000 »

I'm reading too. I'm new and reading two veterans is a great learning experience.
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

By me?

NO, other threads, other people.

Return to “After Action Reports”