Wheather effects

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Kursk1943

Wheather effects

Post by Kursk1943 »

Just read about TF 38's ordeal during the typhoon Dec 1944 with 3 DDs sunk and 183 planes lost.
Wondered if damage by wheather is modeled into the game.
Don't think so. The worst to happen are thunderstorms. Also I only remember reading messages about losses during amphibious landings caused by rough sea, but not about wheather-caused mishap of TFs in open sea.
Or is it a part of system damage?
Anyway - would be quite a show to see Death Star badly shaken by a typhoon if the wheather forecasts are neglected. [:D]
tarkalak

RE: Wheather effects

Post by tarkalak »

There are marine casualties (ship hits a whale) and collisions. I am, not sure if they depend on weather at all.
I do not know what is scarier: that I do understand nothing of this demonic script or that I am starting to see the demons that it evokes.

Me, studying for a PHD entry exam in Applied Mathematics.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

System damage is indeed a result of being at sea. Either stormy weather or high speed steaming can increase the rate of accumulation of system damage.
Since the weather for each hex is completely random (the "weather forecast" means almost nothing) and the actual conditions can change several times in a hex during a single day, trying to avoid bad weather is pretty much futile. I have long wished the game modeled weather systems to some extent but it doesn't so we have to just go with what we get,

I think the game handles aircraft losses from bad weather as part of the Ops Losses abstraction. Collisions and groundings could, in abstraction, account for the total of ship losses that actually happened from weather.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Kursk1943

Post by Kursk1943 »

Yeah, surely a case where wishful thinking conflicts with what's feasible from a dev's point of view.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: Kursk1943

...Wondered if damage by wheather is modeled into the game.
Don't think so....
Or is it a part of system damage?
Anyway - would be quite a show to see Death Star badly shaken by a typhoon if the wheather forecasts are neglected. [:D]

In AE weather is very much abstracted to a very simplified level.

Technically ships suffer no damage from weather. Ships are exposed to some weather damage effects from the season but this is only applicable to ship operations in the designated Cold Zone during the 3 month winter season. This damage exposure is not affected by the actual weather conditions.

Weather can impact on air operations launched from terrestrial bases or ships at sea. It is therefore a relevant tactical consideration for a task force to hide within a storm front in order to minimise the risk of detection/strikes from enemy air.

Alfred
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

The weather in a hex is not entirely random:
There is... probability?

"best weather to worst are clear, partly cloudy, overcast, rain (snow in cold zones in winter), and thunderstorms (blizzard in cold zones in winter"

"With advanced weather, the weather forecast in each quadrant from day to day will generally change slowly (moving only up or down one level), but sometimes it can change dramatically from one day to the next"

GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

ORIGINAL: Alfred
Weather can impact on air operations launched from terrestrial bases or ships at sea. It is therefore a relevant tactical consideration for a task force to hide within a storm front in order to minimise the risk of detection/strikes from enemy air.
This tactical choice though can only present itself at quadrant borders when forecasts for the quadrants are different. And there are only 9 quadrants on the whole world map. So not a lot of opportunities for conscious tactical hiding.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

The weather in a hex is not entirely random:
There is... probability?

"best weather to worst are clear, partly cloudy, overcast, rain (snow in cold zones in winter), and thunderstorms (blizzard in cold zones in winter"

"With advanced weather, the weather forecast in each quadrant from day to day will generally change slowly (moving only up or down one level), but sometimes it can change dramatically from one day to the next"
The weather forecast is for a general trend over the whole area (about a quarter of the map I think), and within that area the individual hexes have their own weather that can run the gamut. I was not aware that "Advanced Weather" slowed the rate of change of weather, but at the hex level, my experience was that it made for even more bad weather than with it off - so I don't use it. I often see a hex with "Clear" weather at turn start beset by "Severe Storms" as the turn runs. There is no gradient I can discern at the hex level.
BTW, you forgot Light Cloud, Heavy Cloud, Extreme Overcast, Light Rain, Moderate Rain and Heavy Rain.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

This tactical choice though can only present itself at quadrant borders when forecasts for the quadrants are different. And there are only 9 quadrants on the whole world map. So not a lot of opportunities for conscious tactical hiding.

IIRC the weather shown here is for the following day, so no 'opportunities for conscious tactical hiding'.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

I was not aware that "Advanced Weather" slowed the rate of change of weather,

I don't believe it has. 'Advanced weather' just means the weather varies. Without it all weather is 'partly cloudy'.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: rustysi

I don't believe it has. 'Advanced weather' just means the weather varies. Without it all weather is 'partly cloudy'.
No. I just checked several bases and the forecast varied according to the 9 map weather regions (see screenshot). The issue is still that the "forecast" is almost meaningless because individual hexes have random weather effects each turn. I have not been able to discern any major influence toward the "forecast weather". C'est le jeux de guerre! ...[:'(]

Attachments
WITPAEWe..Forecast.jpg
WITPAEWe..Forecast.jpg (201.01 KiB) Viewed 171 times
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

The issue is still that the "forecast" is almost meaningless because individual hexes have random weather effects each turn.

Yes, but without the weather effects turned on all weather is 'partly cloudy'. I still seem to recall reading somewhere that that screen is also for the following day, although not 100% sure.

bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

ORIGINAL: rustysi

No. I just checked several bases and the forecast varied according to the 9 map weather regions (see screenshot). The issue is still that the "forecast" is almost meaningless because individual hexes have random weather effects each turn. I have not been able to discern any major influence toward the "forecast weather". C'est le jeux de guerre! ...[:'(]

I am certain that this is a photoshopped screen shot, since I don't believe that I have ever seen a day in the game without at least one map area having either "Rain" or "Thunderstoms" as the forecast!
fair winds,
Brad

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”