I forgot... don't use the "add ship to TF" button!

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

bradfordkay

I forgot... don't use the "add ship to TF" button!

Post by bradfordkay »

I was setting up a Transport TF to ship an armored regiment from San Francisco to the South Pacific and I forgot that it had a few hundred points of "troops" along with all the armor cargo. I had chosen several LSTs to carry it but had not included a troops transport. As always, I hit "verify load" and it pointed out that I needed a ship with troop capacity to finish loading the unit.

When I hit the "add ships" button, the AI chose a 12000+ ton, 20 knot Canada Pacific liner as the added ship, even though I had a plethora of 12 knot Liberty ship xAP troopships in port.

It seems that about once a year or so, I get this stupid reminder to not use that button. Now I have to wait for the convoy to unload before reconfiguring it.
fair winds,
Brad
Yaab

RE: I forgot... don't use the "add ship to TF" button!

Post by Yaab »

For this reason, loading troops is the last thing I do in a turn, preceded by a save game.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

We've all made that mistake before....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

Good idea! One that I probably will always fail to implement, as loading troop convoys seems to be a "oh yea, I've got to get these guys to the front!" spur of the moment decision that happens as I am perusing the map...
fair winds,
Brad
spence

Post by spence »

It seems that the computer will always pick the worst possible ship to comply with the "add ship(s)" button. If you've got a convoy that is composed of ships that move at 12 kts it seems that it always picks a ship that can make either 20 kts or 11 kts and if you've got a convoy that moves right along at 20 kts you are guaranteed to get a ship that can only make 11 kts to carry that last motorized support point to round out your convoy.

I don't allow the computer to do anything automatically because it seems to do the stupidest thing possible in ALL situations.

jecunningham

Post by jecunningham »

I make that mistake about once every three months of game time. :-)
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

We've all made that mistake before....GP

Nah.
It seems that the computer will always pick the worst possible ship to comply with the "add ship(s)" button. If you've got a convoy that is composed of ships that move at 12 kts it seems that it always picks a ship that can make either 20 kts or 11 kts and if you've got a convoy that moves right along at 20 kts you are guaranteed to get a ship that can only make 11 kts to carry that last motorized support point to round out your convoy.

Yup.[:D]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Ssh, no talkie! Computer is a KempetAI.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

I have made that mistake before too, but don't unload the entire convoy! Just put the liner in a separate convoy and unload it. Meanwhile add the troop ships you want to your original TF and when the fragment is unloaded from the liner (presumably before all the unit is loaded) just use the Adjust Load button and select "Use All Ships", then "Redistribute load".

If the rest of your unit did already load, just load the troopship separately and merge it with the rest of the TF.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

I never use that button precisely for the reason described.

But I stumbled into another TF creation mistake a lot: creating a TF w/o selecting "do not refuel" on the TF type screen. Ma-an.. the number of times I sucked my forward base fuel reserves into useless xAKs returning home. Not to mention action points spent
LeeChard

Post by LeeChard »

I had forgotten that button even exists [:D]
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

I have made that mistake before too, but don't unload the entire convoy! Just put the liner in a separate convoy and unload it. Meanwhile add the troop ships you want to your original TF and when the fragment is unloaded from the liner (presumably before all the unit is loaded) just use the Adjust Load button and select "Use All Ships", then "Redistribute load".

If the rest of your unit did already load, just load the troopship separately and merge it with the rest of the TF.

It actually did not make a difference... I told the TF to unload immediately and the next day dropped that ship from the TF, added the one I wanted and then issued orders for the unit to load. Since the TF was fully loaded the day following that, I lost no extra time (over the time lost because I let it choose the wrong ship).
fair winds,
Brad
adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

I never use that button precisely for the reason described.

But I stumbled into another TF creation mistake a lot: creating a TF w/o selecting "do not refuel" on the TF type screen. Ma-an.. the number of times I sucked my forward base fuel reserves into useless xAKs returning home. Not to mention action points spent
Ok. This the simplest most needed modification in the game, the possibility to select a default "do not refuel" for all new TFs; we'll save a ton of clicks and mental sanity. Perfectly doable even now;

Now Alfred sack me [:'(]
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

the possibility to select a default "do not refuel" for all new TFs;

One of us is missing something here. Its there on the bottom right of the screen when you select the option to create a TF.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: rustysi

One of us is missing something here. Its there on the bottom right of the screen when you select the option to create a TF.
Right, he knows about the button, but he wishes he did not have to remember to select it every time - i.e. make "Do Not Refuel" the default when a TF is created rather than defaulting to "Full Refuel".
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

ORIGINAL: rustysi

Right, he knows about the button, but he wishes he did not have to remember to select it every time - i.e. make "Do Not Refuel" the default when a TF is created rather than defaulting to "Full Refuel".

There was an easier way in an earlier patch (I don't recall what though), but something got stepped on and you couldn't choose to not load fuel. What we have now was MichaelM's fix.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Forward areas, let's say Rabaul, are closer to fuel sources than the home islands. You should be keeping fuel coming to major ports forward, and not sending TFs home short on fuel, fuel you had to use tankers to ship back home to keep industry humming.

edit: I don't ship fuel out of the home islands to anywhere. Sending xAKs there that are thirsty is the same thing as shipping fuel out. Don't do it.

Obviously, the reverse is true for the Allied player. Send everything back to the West Coast dying for a drink.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”