Been Wanting this One for a While

AGEod goes back to the Napoleonic era and delivers the most detailed and comprehensive strategy game ever created about a time of struggle and conquest that forged modern Europe.
Werewolf13

Been Wanting this One for a While

Post by Werewolf13 »

see subject...

1st off - all the reviews, both positive and negative, praise the game play, accurate history, mechanics etc. Almost universally from game release to now. Which is a huge plus as the Napoleonic Wars are only superseded by the American Civil War and the Italian Campaign of WWII in the list of my favorite game subjects.

But I still haven't taken the leap and bought this title.

Why? Of all reviews I've read on Steam or internet game sites, 7 or more out of 10 reviews dated from release through today all complain about the same thing...

Constant game crashes to desktop or main menu. No where do I see any indications that Ageod is trying to address this issue which seems to be a quite common occurence. I find this odd because indications are that WoN uses the same game engine as Civil War 2 and I've never gotten a crash of any kind with it.

Or WoN game crashes is really a non-issue and it's just a small minority of players that experience the issue and what I am seeing is the general propensity of those not pleased to write reviews.

What's the real skinny? Is it common for the game to crash to desktop and main menu or not?
Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress
Werewolf13

RE: Been Wanting this One for a While

Post by Werewolf13 »

13 Reads, no responses.

Guess that means that WoN still crashes and the reviewers are right.

Too Bad. I was really hoping it was worth a buy.
Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress
DonCzirr

Post by DonCzirr »

I got it and it seems ok.

I had an early crash or two - but if you re-run compatibility troubleshooter and also do their trick with the 10% memory for textures and it will cut down on the problems.

Playing around with WON after PON however, left me feeling empty in comparison - since there is so much more to PON. It also has been a lot more stable for me.

I guess I will go back to WON eventually but only after I get sick of PON. Considering the full PON campaign is over 1700 turns, it may be a while [:)]
Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896
Werewolf13

Post by Werewolf13 »

Thanks...

2 questions:

1) What's the 10% memory trick
2) What's PON

Michael Andress
DonCzirr

Post by DonCzirr »

No problem.

Check this for 10% textures limit:

http://www.ageod-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=374&t=43539

PON = Pride of Nations - another AGEOD on the Age of Imperialism.

It starts only 35 years after Waterloo - so you'll see a lot that is familiar - but it also global and goes to 1920 - so you'll see more modern inventions coming, the impact of Railroads, modern naval shipping, social reforms etc ...

For my money, it is the ultimate Grand Strategic war game - one that I will likely be playing for years to come.
Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896
Werewolf13

Post by Werewolf13 »

Thanks...

Very helpful. I've seen the PON titles for years and without bothering to look I made, lets just say, some inaccurate assumptions. I am going to look into Pride of Nations.

Michael Andress
Heeward

Post by Heeward »

I've started playing again, and it seems to crash every 30 to 40 turns or so...

However it only does it at the end of the turn, after it has saved the completed turn.
Therefore you can just restart and resume without any problems.
The Wake
laramieela

Post by laramieela »

I only play WON in pbem so I do not see this crash. It only happens in solo play if the player runs a lot of turns without exiting. I presume this is due to memory issues. So easy fix is to exit every ten turns or so and then resume. Or, join a pbem game. WON is really fun with six other players.
And yes, PON is also a great game, but again greater with eight players in pbem

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”