Operation Neva - Leningrad 1944

Post new mods and scenarios here
LLv34_Snefens

Operation Neva - Leningrad 1944

Post by LLv34_Snefens »

I've updated my scenario Operation Neva - Leningrad 1944 to v1.3. It will now work correctly with TOAW v4.1.
Scenario have a PO for play against the Soviet side, otherwise it's for PBEM.

Download here or see attached.

Changes in v1.3:

-Updated scenario for use with TOAW v4.1:
-Redone icon colors. Added support for high detail zoom-level.
-Changed icon type for several units to accommodate single counter sheet. Graphical only.
-Ships now use the new naval system. Indidvidual ship types added instead of armoured guns.
-German companies are now able to divide. Soviet Battalions are still not.
-Fixed fortresses can now perform long range fire on both land and sea targets.
-Forced variable iniative off, to ensure correct event sequences.
-Reduced the defense of passive defender equipment (guns)
-Changed some Super River hexes near lakes to regular rivers, as they would not freeze as planned.
-Unscrambled unit- and equipment-text caused by German letters and SS runes.
[center]

Operation Neva
Leningrad 1944

Date: January 14th - April 1944
Map Scale: 2.5km per hex
Time Scale: Half a day turns
Unit Scale: Battalion/Regiment
Length: 30 - 190 turns

HISTORICAL BACKGROUND

On January 14th 1944, Leningrad Front and Volkhov Front launched a combined offensive against the German 18th Army still standing at the outskirts of Leningrad. The plan was to break through to Luga from north and East and encircle the army, before continuing the attack to the Panther Line still under construction and break into the Baltic.
The Germans had in the previous months severely weakened the army by transferring many divisions south, and was planning a withdrawal to shorten the front line. The offensive started before they could implement this plan 'Blau'.
Despite a near collapse of the German front, a few key locations were held long enough to allow the majority of the army to escape encirclement. Beaten but not destroyed it fell back to the Panther Line, where fierce Soviet attacks tried to punch trough before the snow melted.
This scenario covers the time from the initial offensive until the weather puts a damper on operations in mid April.
[/center]
Attachments
Operation ..rad 1944.zip
(2.7 MiB) Downloaded 391 times
Stefan O. Kristensen
LLv34_Snefens

RE: Operation Neva - Leningrad 1944

Post by LLv34_Snefens »

Note: In the graphics file folder, the files counternumbers.png and h_counternumbers.png are not recoqnized/looked for by the game like the others, when placed in the normal "graphics override" folder, so in order to have effect, they need to be added to the main graphics folder of the game, replacing the original files (rename those for later use).
All that is changed in the files are the symbol for "section" (two dots) which have been replaced by the symbol for "Battalion" (two lines). This is used in the scenario to force soviet battalions to be undividable. This is for aesthetics only, so not needed for scenario to work. On the other hand I have very rarely seen scenarios use the "section" size units, so you could likely use the files for most scenarios without it affecting the looks of them in any way.
Stefan O. Kristensen
andy77

Post by andy77 »

Ready to play for the Soviet side.Please forgive me for choosing the wrong side first.
I like this scenario very much, I will be glad to play it against a live opponent.I myself live in St. Petersburg (formerly Leningrad ) and this scenario is not an empty phrase for me.I will try to verify and complement its historical accuracy (if that's necessary).
nikdav

Post by nikdav »

...and now i must reinstall TOAW IV....Great Map and Scenario !

stolypin

Post by stolypin »

Thanks for posting this. I plan on starting it tomorrow (in conjunction with reading Wilhelm Tieke's "Tragedy of the Faithful")
LLv34_Snefens

Post by LLv34_Snefens »

Good luck. I've read it myself. You should be able to find most locations and units mentioned in the book.
Stefan O. Kristensen
stolypin

Post by stolypin »

ORIGINAL: LLv34_Snefens

Good luck. I've read it myself. You should be able to find most locations and units mentioned in the book.

I'm only 16 turns into this scenario (due to the size, each turn is taking me about an hour) but I must say that this appears to be one of the finest, most historically accurate, TOAW scenarios I have ever played (and I've been playing TOAW since the first edition in 1998).
BigDuke66

Post by BigDuke66 »

I've updated my scenario Operation Neva - Leningrad 1944 to v1.3. It will now work correctly with TOAW v4.1.
Gave me a boner [:D]
LLv34_Snefens

Post by LLv34_Snefens »

Thank you, hope you are enjoying it. I take it you are playing as the Germans against the AI?
Stefan O. Kristensen
BigDuke66

Post by BigDuke66 »

Thought about fighting the AI but maybe I go for a PBEM as Germans right away.
BigDuke66

Post by BigDuke66 »

Are there any thoughts about using the new rules?
The scenario PDF mentions:
Command & Control: ON
Scenario Variability: ON
Fog of War: ON
Environment: ON
Active Disengagement: ON
No Borders: ON
High Supply: OFF
New Flanking Rules: ON
Advanced Rules: ON
New Turn Order Rules: ON
New Supply Rules: ON

Not covered are:
New Bridge Rules
New Mud and Snow Rules
Variable Initiative
New Density Rules
stolypin

Post by stolypin »

Thank you, hope you are enjoying it. I take it you are playing as the Germans against the AI?

Yes. Definitely learning about retreating on the Eastern Front in the face of a massive Russian onslaught.
LLv34_Snefens

Post by LLv34_Snefens »

-New bridge rules doesn't really matter as the scenario still requires players to follow house rule in that regard, because of my use of "dotted roads" for smaller tracks.
-Mud and snow rules can be set to on. All hexes start with snow and stay that way for all but the very last turns, regardless of what this is set to.
-Variable initiative should be set to off.
-New density rules you can use on, but not that important. You are very unlikely to get any units big enough to trigger it.
Stefan O. Kristensen
andy77

Post by andy77 »

Today in St. Petersburg (former Leningrad ) we celebrate the 75th anniversary of this battle and the complete lifting of the siege of the city .The city held a parade of historical and modern troops.

Attachments
TASS_31171154_d_850.jpg
TASS_31171154_d_850.jpg (152.92 KiB) Viewed 1543 times
andy77

Post by andy77 »

There was also a reconstruction of the January Thunder - fighting in Gostilitsy for the breakthrough of German lines of defence on its historic place .

Attachments
4f26157ce1.._cut_002.gif
4f26157ce1.._cut_002.gif (9.32 MiB) Viewed 1546 times
LLv34_Snefens

Post by LLv34_Snefens »

Cool
Stefan O. Kristensen
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

Re-installing TOAW!!!
WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

Excellent!
BigDuke66

Post by BigDuke66 »

As there seems to be a general problem with the Graphics Override folder in the game directory(check: tm.asp?m=4602956 ) I can only advise to copy the content of the Operation Neva - Leningrad 1944 folder from there to the Graphics Override folder under Documents/My Games/The Operational Art of War/ so that the graphics that should be used are indeed used.

As this is not scenario specific one maybe just copies the complete content of the Graphics Override folder to the new location.

@LLv34_Snefens
Are the files Operation Neva - Leningrad 1944.col & Operation Neva - Leningrad 1944.nqp necessary at all?
I removed that expecting wrong colors & maybe an error message because of the equipment but nothing happened.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”