Submitted Scenarios

Moderators: Paullus, Peter Fisla

Hailstone

RE: Submitted Scenarios

Post by Hailstone »

Just because it feels good...

Operation On The Gudbrandsdal

Tretten, Norway, April 23rd, 1940: Landing in April 19th in Aandalsnes, the 148th British Territorial
Brigade first had to go north to take back Trondheim Harbor. In fact, it quickly appeared that the most
serious threat was coming from the south, where the Germans, halted ten days before in Oslo, were pushing
back the Norwegian 2nd Division along the railway and the Gudbrandsdal River. The Brigade then turned
south but did not manage to regroup early enough to stop the Germans from seizing Lillehammer. The
British were then heavily handicapped by the Cedarbank torpedoing, which sank the entire Brigade
transportation pool along with the majority of its ammunition and food reserves. Transported with hastily
requisitioned trucks and busses, the British soldiers also suffered a lack of winter clothes. Finally,
a strong defensive position was installed at Tretten, where the steep hills east of Gudbrandsdal
interdicted all moves. Despite the support of some surviving Norwegian units, things were not looking
too good. Without artillery support and short of ammunition, the British soldiers hadn't slept and had
barely eaten during the last thirty-six hours.

Game Length: 8.5 Turns

For the Germans to win they must capture VP's as they move north
For the British to win they must prevent the Germans from capturing VP's as they move north

Germans: Squads, MMG's, LMG's, MTR's, AFV's
British: Squads, MMG, LMG's, MTR's, ATR's

Boards: #2, #7

Aftermath: Placed forward on the road, two Forester Companies, supported by a Leicestershire Company
placed on the heights, were attacked by the Germans around 1300. After an hour of fighting, the second
company of the Leicestershire was sent from Tretten as reinforcements. Three German light tanks pierced
the British positions, without being damaged by numerous antitank rifle shots, and deeply advanced
toward Tretten. Unluckily for the British, they intercepted some officers of the Brigade on recon duty,
along with the Norwegian military advisor, and cut off all retreat. The village itself was soon under
infantry gunfire and had to be abandoned. Only a British rear guard held until the evening to allow all
the units of the area to withdraw. On their side, the Norwegian Dragoons, positioned farther east to
prevent an eventual turning back, weren't attacked and could return to their trucks safely. Reduced to
nine officers and 300 troopers, the 148th Brigade was no longer a sufficient combat force to prevent the
Germans from resuming their attack toward Aandalsnes. One week later, the British Corps had to disengage
and the Norwegian 2nd Division surrendered on May 2nd.

Source: Tactiques magazine, Scenario ASL TAC 39, Operation On The Gudbrandsdal

Attachments
Operation..randsdal.zip
(24.82 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
Hailstone

Post by Hailstone »

Just because it's a lazy Sunday...

A Train for Arnhem

Nijmegen, Holland, September 19th, 1944: Two days after the launch of Operation Market-Garden, the
82nd Airborne Division was still trying to gain its objectives. The Germans occupied the heights south
of Nijmegen as well as the northern part of the city, in particular, the two bridges which spanned the
River Waal. The Germans, in the form of Kampfgruppen hurriedly assembled from the remnants of resting
units, had proved too strong for the paratroops on their own. The arrival of the forward detachments of
the British Guards Armoured Division was timely, and a new assault on the Nijmegen bridges was begun.
While a strong force attempted to seize the main road bridge, a more modest force consisting of a
U.S. Paratroop Company, a platoon of British infantry and a troop of tanks were to take the railway bridge.
The bridge was defended by elements of Kampfgruppe Henke, a temporary battalion formed from regular
infantry, Luftwaffe ground personnel, and even Nijmegen rail installation guards, supported by an
anti-aircraft gun.

Game Length: 6 Turns

For the Americans/British to win they must secure the railroad tracks and adjacent buildings in Nijmegen
For the Germans to win they must defend the railroad tracks and vicinity

Americans/British: Squads, HMG, MMG's, BAZ's, AFV's
Germans: Squads, HMG, MMG, LMG's, PSK's, PF

Boards: #8, #20

Aftermath: Although the railroad was seized without much difficulty to within 200 meters of the railway
bridge, the enemy has grown significantly in strength by the time the combined force encountered a
strongpoint defended by machine guns and an 88mm gun. After a hurried consultation with his superiors,
the British commander came up with a plan to break through the defenses and capture the bridge. The attack
began just as the evening twilight started. The first three tanks were quickly put out of action by the
Germans. Now the paratroops were subjected to sustained machine gun fire. Faced with a rising casualty count,
the advance was stopped and the attacking units withdrew 100 meters to take up positions for the
night. In a bitter blow, Lt. Waverly W. Wray of Company D, a veteran of the Normandy campaign, was killed
by a sniper just as he withdrew with his men.

Source: Tactiques magazine, Scenario ASL TAC 63, A Train for Arnhem

Sometimes, I'm a bonehead. I got the Victory Points backward. This is the corrected version, 1/14/19
Attachments
A Train for Arnhem.zip
(23.88 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
slaphappypappy

Post by slaphappypappy »

Very good scenario!
Got a hard fought Major German Victory on last turn!
UP844

Post by UP844 »

Hailstone, please don't hate me...

I regret having to report that the Victory Conditions in "A Train for Arnhem" don't look right: the Americans can get a Major Victory by taking just 4 VP hexes (i.e. they can take the two leftmost buildings and sit there)

Attachments
A_train_fo..rnhem_VP.jpg
A_train_fo..rnhem_VP.jpg (909.15 KiB) Viewed 640 times
Chasing Germans in the moonlight is no mean sport

Siegfried Sassoon

Long Range Fire (A7.22)........1/2 FP
Hailstone

Post by Hailstone »

UP844, It's all good. I only have myself to blame and correct which I did. FYI, the scenario's original
victory conditions were for the Americans to not leave more than 3 German squads unbroken in the
vicinity of the railroad - two hexes on each side by game end. That's why the Germans just needed

to hold onto 4 hexes to simulate the 4 unbroken squads to prevent the Americans from winning.[:)]
Hailstone

Post by Hailstone »

ORIGINAL: slaphappypappy

Very good scenario!

Thanks for the compliment! The toughest thing for me are the victory conditions. It's a balancing
act to have "an enjoyable challenge". [:)]
UP844

Post by UP844 »

Very good scenario!

I agree! It's a really outstanding and is also worth playing on the British side. [&o]

Siegfried Sassoon

rico21

Peiper's Charge

Post by rico21 »

Peiper's Charge

In December 1944, Hitler launched his last great offensives against the western Allies. The largest was Wacht Am Rhein, or
Watch on the Rhine, and would be forever known to American historians as the Battle of the Bulge. The goal was simple, punch
through to the Meuse River, then take Antwerp to encircle four Allied armies. This would hopefully force the Allies to the
negotiating table and end the war on favourable terms for Germany. To accomplish the offensive, Hitler gave the most critical
task to his most trusted unit: the 1. Liebstandarte SS-Panzerdivision, which in turn gave its most important objective to its
best panzer regiment led by SS-Obersturmbannführer (Lieutenant Colonel) Jochen Peiper.

German (Elements of SS Panther Kompanie 1 and III/SS PanzerGrenadier Battalion and Fallschirmjager Regiment 9,
Kampfgruppe Peiper...) -->[ American (Elements of the 526th Armored Infantry Battalion and 825th Tank Destroyer Battalion and
the 202nd Engineer Combat Battalion...)

Best played ONLY German SIDE(AI does not know how to maneuver the German Units) / with LOS: 6 Hexes / with RULE: No Quarter
No Glory / with MOD: Yours / etc.

Scenario Length: 25 Game Turns
Victory objective: The side with the required Victory Points is the winner. Both sides gets VPs for owning VP Objectives.
Scenario designer : Genius'Men [ Flames Of War - ASL Scenarios - Close Combat Wacht Am Rhein ]
Attachments
PeipersCharge.zip
(38.27 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
Hailstone

Post by Hailstone »

Here's an early war scenario between the British and the Germans in Greece...

Pyrrhic Victory

Mavropiye, Greece, April 13th, 1941: On April 8th, just two days after the German offensive, it became
obvious to General Wilson, commanding officer of the Imperial Expeditionary Force (IEF), that the Greeks
would not be able to resist enemy pressure much longer. Consequently, he decided to redeploy his forces
to the south, along with a shorter defensive line, anchored on wooded mountains and easier to defend. But
he needed time to do so. Several units were detached from the IEF and placed under General Mackay. They
started blowing up a series of bridges, managing to greatly slow down the Panzer Divisions. Even this
was not enough though, and Mackay fought a first (and successful) blocking action at Vevi. Encouraged by
the result, he decided to try again, 35 km to the south, at Ptolemais, a natural antitank ditch cut across
the South road. This looked like the perfect spot from where to try stopping the onrushing Panzers. The
clash was not long in coming. On the morning of the 13th, the 4th Hussars forward observation posts
beyond the ditch came under heavy attack. The Germans quickly realized that it would be impossible to
force their way through. A glance at the map indicated a possible solution: a trail bypassed the obstacle,
but the ground was swampy and seemed impassable for the Panzers. Nonetheless, it was the only way out
and had to be attempted. A few hours later the first German tanks showed up on the British flank.

Game Length: 8 Turns

For the Germans to win they must capture the town of Mavropiye
For the British to win they must defend the town

Germans: Squads, LMG's, ATR's, AFV's
British: Squads, MMG, LMG's, ATR's, AFV's, ART Gun

Boards: #3, #18

Aftermath: The fighting started right away. Two Hussars squadrons threw themselves at the Germans without
further ado: the action turned into a slaughter. Despite their bravery, Sir Winston's Hussars were felled
one after the other. Nonetheless, the German victory did not last very long. Rushing straight for the
1st Armoured Division's HQ, the Panzers stumbled upon the 2-pdrs of the 102nd Northumberland Hussars.
Eight tanks were quickly knocked out and the German momentum was broken. And that was not the end of it.
Two Cruisers squadrons, coming to help, set another five on fire within a few minutes. However, Brigadier
General Charrington, the Brigades' commanding officer judged that it would be safer to withdraw without
delay. Night was falling and it would be easier to disengage under the cover of darkness. Mackay's force
escaped. But losses had been heavy. Too heavy in fact, for what proved to be the 1st Armoured Brigade's
first, and last, action.

Source: Tactiques magazine, Scenario ASL TAC 53, Phyrric Victory

New version: previous version the AI kept placing an arty gun too big to fire from buildings in buildings.
Replaced 4.5-inch Howitzer with 2-pounder AT gun (as in scenario description), Jan 21 2019

Attachments
Pyrrrhic Victory.zip
(25.16 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
Hailstone

RE: Peiper's Charge

Post by Hailstone »

Looks like there won't be any more scenarios from me until after I take on Rico's monster scenario, or shall we say campaign?[&o]
rico21

Post by rico21 »

For me, it's a scenario for two reasons:
-No night
-No reinforcements
I had this scenario in mind for decades but I could not visualize it on a map, until the solution of the two maps.
Rico the visionary.[:D][:D]
UP844

Post by UP844 »

@Hailstone:

I just finished playing "Pyrrhic Victory" (I took notes for an AAR, but it will require some time): the British have a 4.5 inch howitzer but the AI sets it up in the terrain with the highest TEM (stone building) and so it cannot fire (only 75mm or less AT guns are allowed to fire from buildings).

The only solution that comes to my mind is to place a few entrenchments in possible as possible setup hexes and to designate them as a separate set-up zone.

Siegfried Sassoon

Hailstone

Post by Hailstone »

UP844, I did notice the 4.5-inch gun was not firing but I thought it was because it wouldn't fire HE against armored targets. I did confirm
that the 4.5-inch gun won't fire at anything from within a building but why would the AI place it in a building? You found a bug! I replaced
the 4.5-inch with the 2 pounders that were actually mentioned in the description. I think that would be the historical fix. [:)]
slaphappypappy

Post by slaphappypappy »

Rico, you devil.
Without revealing anything for others who wish to play this scenario, I wish there was a way to remove immobilized vehicles by friendly fire or such.
My one time over aggressiveness cost me the capture of one victory hex.
I could elaborate in a PM if you wish.
Slaphappypappy
slaphappypappy

Post by slaphappypappy »

Forgot scenario name.
Peiper's Charge
UP844

Post by UP844 »

ORIGINAL: Hailstone

UP844, I did notice the 4.5-inch gun was not firing but I thought it was because it wouldn't fire HE against armored targets. I did confirm that the 4.5-inch gun won't fire at anything from within a building but why would the AI place it in a building? You found a bug!

I have only carried out a handful of tests aimed at understanding the logic governing the AI selection of set-up hexes, so I am not 100% sure about my ideas about this matter. As far as I know, within a given Set-up Zone, the AI sets up:
- Personnel Units and Ordnance in the hexes with the highest TEM (*)
- AFVs in any open terrain hex
Within the above categories, VP hexes appear to have priority over non-VP hexes.

This means that the classical SL/ASL formula "Germans set up on any hex of map XX" approach will turn into "AI Germans set up in any highest TEM hexes of map XX". The only viable solution I have found - so far - is defining multiple Set-up Zones for the AI, even though this means limiting the freedom of placement for human players. I think that having the AI consider all the factors we humans take into account when we set up units is impossible.

(*) Apparently, the AI does not take into account the ability to fire from the selected set-up hex. The placement of the 4.5" in this scenario is a proof of this; another example is the repeated placement of light mortars in building hexes. Non-light mortars appear to be an exception to this rule, as I never found them placed in buildings (but this could depend on the scenario set-up zones).
ORIGINAL: Hailstone

I replaced the 4.5-inch with the 2 pounders that were actually mentioned in the description. I think that would be the historical fix. [:)]

This would give an entirely different flavor to the scenario. My Panzers roamed across the village with no trouble(*), firing into British-occupied housed at point-blank range, surrounding British units and causing massive losses through failure to rout. A couple of 2-pdrs should make them much more cautious.

Has the new version been uploaded?

(*) ATRs are serious contenders (along with human player Radios) for the title of "Most Useless Piece of Junk in ToTH". I remember firing (and hitting) 5 times a BT-5 (one of the less armored AFV in game) in the rear at point-blank range with no effect at all [:o].

Siegfried Sassoon

rico21

Post by rico21 »

Rico, you devil.
Without revealing anything for others who wish to play this scenario, I wish there was a way to remove immobilized vehicles by friendly fire or such.
My one time over aggressiveness cost me the capture of one victory hex.
I could elaborate in a PM if you wish.
Slaphappypappy
No need. I know that there are hexes in the scenario where you should not have a tank immobilized because it blocks those who follow.
Whether it's a P-47 rocket or an anti-tank fire.
The idea of scuttling the tank would be a good idea but for the moment, it is better to have several backups to go back or turn the scenario into a campaign to benefit from night repairs.[;)]
slaphappypappy

Post by slaphappypappy »

<< or turn the scenario into a campaign to benefit from night repairs.>>
Never thought of that!
rico21

Post by rico21 »

<< or turn the scenario into a campaign to benefit from night repairs.>>
Never thought of that!
Because you are not a visionnary [;)][:D]