Bacon Mod

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Theluin

RE: Bacon Mod

Post by Theluin »

Hi, love your mod so far, everything's working fine, and it was actually the thing that brought me back to playing DW :)

I have one request/suggestion. Would it be possible to make the random setting for tech level, size, etc in other empires screen during galaxy truly random (or within some range of the default based on galaxy age), instead just being based on galaxy age?
It always seemed very artificial to me that all the empires start at the same tech level&size (I know I can manually change those settings to "random" values but that sort of takes out the fun). And I think it would add a lot of thrill to exploring, not knowing if you'll encounter some pre-ftl primitives or a super advanced insectoid hive next.

Cheers and thanks again for the superb work you've done with this mod!
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: Theluin

Hi, love your mod so far, everything's working fine, and it was actually the thing that brought me back to playing DW :)

I have one request/suggestion. Would it be possible to make the random setting for tech level, size, etc in other empires screen during galaxy truly random (or within some range of the default based on galaxy age), instead just being based on galaxy age?
It always seemed very artificial to me that all the empires start at the same tech level&size (I know I can manually change those settings to "random" values but that sort of takes out the fun). And I think it would add a lot of thrill to exploring, not knowing if you'll encounter some pre-ftl primitives or a super advanced insectoid hive next.

Cheers and thanks again for the superb work you've done with this mod!

While that sounds nice in theory, in practice it would probably result in many games that were no fun. Imagine playing a game for hours before you meet your opponents only to find out that they started with an insurmountable advantage and you now had no chance of winning. Or the alternative where you find everyone is a pushover now. I don't see it as being fun most of the time so its not worth the work involved. Sorry.
BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

Version 1.77 released.

New commands:

!stockpilebooty - Same as !stockpile but works for pirates.

!piraterespawn - toggles the game setting for allowing pirates to be created in-game to replace destroyed factions.

!respawnpiratesnow - Immediately tries to replace destroyed pirate factions with new ones.

Split off a planet to from a new Empire: The command !splitoff can be used to give independence to a planet in your empire that you don’t want anymore. The newly formed empire will start wit ha positive relationship bonus due to being granted independence. Alternatively, you can add “ false” and the newly formed empire will start as a subjugated one instead.

Force specific cargos for a manual cargo mission
!cargos, [cargo name], [cargo2 name], etc
Example: !cargos, Caslon, Dilithium Crystal (Note, you must put a comma between each term including the word cargos and the first assigned cargo.)
To clear the list just enter !cargos with nothing after it.
Arturo28

Post by Arturo28 »

ORIGINAL: RogerBacon

Version 1.77 released.

New commands:

!stockpilebooty - Same as !stockpile but works for pirates.

!piraterespawn - toggles the game setting for allowing pirates to be created in-game to replace destroyed factions.

!respawnpiratesnow - Immediately tries to replace destroyed pirate factions with new ones.

Split off a planet to from a new Empire: The command !splitoff can be used to give independence to a planet in your empire that you don’t want anymore. The newly formed empire will start wit ha positive relationship bonus due to being granted independence. Alternatively, you can add “ false” and the newly formed empire will start as a subjugated one instead.

Force specific cargos for a manual cargo mission
!cargos, [cargo name], [cargo2 name], etc
Example: !cargos, Caslon, Dilithium Crystal (Note, you must put a comma between each term including the word cargos and the first assigned cargo.)
To clear the list just enter !cargos with nothing after it.

Thank you Roger
elvendeathknight

Post by elvendeathknight »

Thanks ! [&o]
nelsonlee_slith

RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended)

Post by nelsonlee_slith »

HI Guys.

I love this mod,thanks very much,

Just one thing, I donot like to built the fighter and control it manually, Can someone tell me how to set it works as vanilla version?
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: nelsonlee_slith

HI Guys.

I love this mod,thanks very much,

Just one thing, I donot like to built the fighter and control it manually, Can someone tell me how to set it works as vanilla version?

What do you mean by "build the fighter and control it manually"? If you don't do anything the fighters still fly and pick their targets like in vanilla.
nelsonlee_slith

Hi Buddy,

No, fighter donot auto bulilt when I run this mod, I change the setting and it works now, like this

// Fighters and bombers will have their range increase by the square root of this amonut. Extreme values here can cause aberant behavior with fighters.
// Tested with values op to 20.
fighterRangeMultiple=20
fighterBayLabel=
bomberBayLabel=
mixedBayLabel=assault
nelsonlee_slith

cancel
nelsonlee_slith

Hi Roger,

with becon mod, when a new spaceport or carrier built, no fighter or bomber is built Automaticly, Is it working as design?I also find there is no fighter in AI empire.

when I set like this
// Fighters and bombers will have their range increase by the square root of this amonut. Extreme values here can cause aberant behavior with fighters.
// Tested with values op to 20.
fighterRangeMultiple=20
fighterBayLabel=
bomberBayLabel=
mixedBayLabel=assault

only fighter is built Automaticly, But Fighter:bomber is built 1:1 in vanilla version, Do you know how to make a right setting to make bacon mod working same way?

Regards
nelsonlee_slith

Hi Roger,

I found becon mod doesnot work well with my Chinese LNG mod,I test it again in a EN version with becon default setting, now spaceport and carrier built fighters Automaticly when they are ready...but only fighters, no bomber.Is it working as design? How about it works on you PC?

Regards
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

Hi Roger,

I found becon mod doesnot work well with my Chinese LNG mod,I test it again in a EN version with becon default setting, now spaceport and carrier built fighters Automaticly when they are ready...but only fighters, no bomber.Is it working as design? How about it works on you PC?

Regards

In my naconsetting file I have the following values
fighterBayLabel=fighter
bomberBayLabel=bomber
mixedBayLabel=assault

and in my components.txt file I added the bomber bays
179, Hanger - Standard Bomber Bay, 26, 0, , 19, 50, 4, 40, 4, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 10, 20, 17, 7, 16, 4,
180, Hanger - Advanced Bomber Bay, 27, 0, , 19, 45, 5, 60, 7, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 10, 16, 17, 5, 16, 3,
181, Hanger - Ultimate Bomber Bay, 166, 0, , 19, 45, 6, 80, 8, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 10, 16, 17, 5, 16, 3,
182, Hanger - All Dimension Bomber Bay, 130, 0, , 19, 45, 5, 60, 8, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 10, 20, 17, 7, 16, 4,

I did not add the assault bays. Those were added later for people who wanted to maintain the 1:1 split between fighters and bombers.

With this setup I can add either fighter bays or bomber bays to my designs. For example, my defensive base has 1 fighter bay and 5 bomber bays. It builds 4 fighters and 20 bombers. If you are automatically upgrading your deisgns the computer will always choose fighter bays or whatever comes first in your components.txt file. For that reason I recommend manually upgrading any designs that use fighters.

What mods are you using in conjunction with the Bacon Mod?
nelsonlee_slith

Only a Chinese translation mod...I had removed it.

I think your components.txt is in the BaconMod1.76\BaconWorld. But I donot use this theme as manual said "The entire BaconWorld folder is optional and only needed if you want to see the new bomber bay component and bomber settings and terraforming" So in default theme, no bomber is built Automaticly, need to built them manually.

I will try the bacon world theme today, Anyway thank you very much
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

Only a Chinese translation mod...I had removed it.

I think your components.txt is in the BaconMod1.76\BaconWorld. But I donot use this theme as manual said "The entire BaconWorld folder is optional and only needed if you want to see the new bomber bay component and bomber settings and terraforming" So in default theme, no bomber is built Automaticly, need to built them manually.

I will try the bacon world theme today, Anyway thank you very much

Actually, I don't use the Bacon world theme either. :) If you want the bomber functionality and the terraforming you just have to make small changes to the components list. You can use Winmerge to compare between the baconworld entries and the vanilla ones to see the changes.
Tortuosit

Post by Tortuosit »

"Bacon Mod - by Roger Bacon" - is there a way I can remove that information? Maybe there's an entry for its config file. If not, no problem.
Ah, forgot: Thank you so much for the mod :-)
DWS360

Post by DWS360 »

Is Bacon Mod compatible with the Steam version? I mean, the modification of the DWU.exe might be an issue with the Steam DRM?
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: DWS360

Is Bacon Mod compatible with the Steam version? I mean, the modification of the DWU.exe might be an issue with the Steam DRM?

I believe Codeforce, the creators of DWU, have said they only use Steam for distribution and not for digital rights management so there should be no issue. As always, back up first.
DWS360

Post by DWS360 »

Thank you. Do you recommend to add some other Mods? I am a newbie who just bought DWU a few days ago.
At least I want to add Extended Universe for more races and a better GUI. Do I have to install more than just the following text files for this (Bacon + Extended)?
Here are the text files to merge this mod with some popular ones.

Haree78's Extended Universe 1.03 (Larry had to remove this link. If anyone else wants to host the combined files let me know.)

Then I saw a thread "Bacon Mod + RetreatUE + Das Chrome", but I am not sure, it looks like rocket science to me.
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: DWS360

Then I saw a thread "Bacon Mod + RetreatUE + Das Chrome", but I am not sure, it looks like rocket science to me.

That's the one I'm currently using.
DWS360

Post by DWS360 »

Is it possible to add Extended Universe to that, w/o to burst my systems that is?
You have modified missile ranges for a better balance, anything else?

Thanks a lot for your mod + your help.

Return to “Design and Modding”