Be aware of the Gun-launched missiles

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin, IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian

KungPao

Be aware of the Gun-launched missiles

Post by KungPao »

After several PBEM games and a discussion with my friends, I would like to share this to you. As a NATO player, you got to be very careful about those AT-11

It is said that NATO tanks have absolute advantage at the range of 2000m-4000m. This is correct until the Soviets brought up a fresh tank units that can fire AT-11

1204 hrs - 1/1/48th Gds Tank Rgt : fires 125mm 2A46 basic hit chance of (2%) against a Challenger 1 at a range of 3500m / 4340m
1207 hrs - 1/1/48th Gds Tank Rgt : fires AT-11 Sniper basic hit chance of (59%) against a Challenger 1 at a range of 3500m / 3255m
1207 hrs - 1/1/48th Gds Tank Rgt (12 x T-80BV [m]) in 0926 is engaging a recce unit (2 Tank) in hex 0919 at range 3,349m.

This British HQ was dug in a hex with 30% cover, it was wiped out by a salvo of AT-11. Note the difference on the hit chance between 125mm APFSDS and AT-11 ATGM.
Sir? Do you want to order a Kung Pao Chicken or a Kung Fu Chicken?
KungPao

RE: Be aware of the Gun-launched missiles

Post by KungPao »

here is another example
1249 hrs - 3/1/48th Gds Tank Rgt : fires AT-11 Sniper basic hit chance of (37%) against a Challenger 1 at a range of 4500m / 4073m
1249 hrs - 3/1/48th Gds Tank Rgt (10 x T-80BV [m]) in 0727 is engaging a tank unit (1 x Challenger 1) in hex 0818 at range 4,562m.

My opponent brought up a Challenger platoon to built up a new defense line. Our distance was 10 hex 5000m. So he thought making this movement is relatively safe. Then he got another salvo of AT-11

3 brand new Challenger were gone before they got a chance to fire their guns
Sir? Do you want to order a Kung Pao Chicken or a Kung Fu Chicken?
Deathtreader

Post by Deathtreader »

Thanks for sharing...…..I've been on the receiving end of those things as well.[:(]

Rob.
So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Yes, those ATGMs can be nasty. Even if they don't get a kill, they can cause fallouts from the heavy warhead.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
MTTODD

Post by MTTODD »

Hi,

Surprised You say that AT-11 could cause fallouts because of heavy warhead.

Are they not small missiles as they are launched from a gun ? compared to other non-gun launched ATGMs ?

Just a thought!

CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Up to 900mm pen with a tandem warhead to improve the punch through advanced composition armor.

MTTODD

Post by MTTODD »

So are they larger missiles than other soviet ATGMS fired from helicopters or infantry launched ?
MTTODD

Post by MTTODD »

I am pretty sure that any gun launched ATGM will have a much smaller diameter than a tube launched ATGM.

So I am surprised that you say the AT-11 can cause fallouts, if that were the case then the tube launched ones certainly would.

I would of thought the main threat from a ATGM is the penetration ability (that's why much research went into composite armours), not the high explosive effect to cause fallout's

battlerbritain

Post by battlerbritain »

I'm of the same opinion.

I don't think 125mm gun launched ATGMs would be as effective as other, bigger bored ATGMs.

The penetration ability of a HEAT round, including ATGMs, is proportional to the diameter of the round.

So the penetration of a 125mm gun launched ATGM is still about the same as that of a 125mm HEAT round.

Adding a tandem warhead may increase it a bit but it still won't put it in the super-ATGM class.

As for effectiveness against Chobham I suspect it'd be like chucking tennis balls at it!
Somerset, Uk
IronMikeGolf

Post by IronMikeGolf »

The penetration ability of a HEAT round, including ATGMs, is proportional to the diameter of the round.

That is true, if the larger diameter warhead is simply a scaled up version of the smaller and uses the same explosive filler, has adjusted standoff, same cone material and shape, etc.

However, there are many counter examples. We can look at the performance of several US and Soviet ATGMs over their life cycles and see improvements in penetration, all the while using the same missile package - diameter, length, sometimes even weight (warhead or overall). TOW-2 vs TOW has 29% more explosive, a 50% increase in warhead weight, 43% increase in penetration. Same charge diameter.

It's more nuanced that just diameter.

Jeff
Sua Sponte
MTTODD

Post by MTTODD »

What you say is obviously true, that you can improve the missile by other factors, irrespective of diameter size.

But that still does not change the fact, that ATGM's which are tube launched should be more powerful than gun launched missiles.

Which brings me back to my unanswered question, if you are saying that the AT-11 will not only kill Tanks because of it's peneratation abilty but also
that it will cause many fallouts, then tube launched missles will ever heavier watheads would cause even more fallouts.

CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Answers in bold.
ORIGINAL: MTTODD

What you say is obviously true, that you can improve the missile by other factors, irrespective of diameter size. - Yes this is correct. A tandem warhead on a smaller diameter ATGM can hit much harder than a single larger diameter HEAT warhead.

But that still does not change the fact, that ATGM's which are tube launched should be more powerful than gun launched missiles. - No this is not a fact as stated. Yes, larger diameter CAN mean more pen, but as noted the type and technology of the warhead comes into play. Early Soviet ATGMs like the AT-1 and AT-2 are larger in diameter to later models and have significantly less pen capability due to design.

Which brings me back to my unanswered question, if you are saying that the AT-11 will not only kill Tanks because of it's penetrating ability but also that it will cause many fallouts, then tube launched missiles with ever heavier warheads would cause even more fallouts. - No this fall into the category above. All things being equal, a larger and heavier ATGM (bigger warhead assembly) will due more damage (fallouts and kills) and that's what you will see in game. Again raw diameter of a missile is not enough to equate to kill potential.

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”