Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

rjord2021

Warhammer 40k (V14.1 Patch now released for testing)

Post by rjord2021 »

Looking for feedback on system names in the mod.

After releasing this morning patch V14.1 on the previous page I am thinking of pushing out a small patch V14.2 looking specifically at the systems in the mod. This patch would be very small replacing just one file.

Looking at the system names used at the moment the developer (mensrea) appears to be using the existing names of systems in our actual galaxy.

What I am proposing is to change the system names to something more Warhammer like such as:

Adraith
Agripinaa Sector
Aktosha
Altansar
Anathrax
Arach-Cyn
Arx
Astartes Praeses
Belial
Blood Prince Domain
Brigannion Four
Bubonicus
Cadian Gate
Carcharodons
Crimson Path
Crone World
Drakaasi
Eidafaeron
Eidolon
Eye of Terror
Excoriators
Gallium
Goreworlds

...etc

Please give me feedback on whether you would like to a quick patch update replacing system names in the mod.

When the mod has been completed I can then create a series of maps to use in the mod.

Attachments
Map example.jpg
Map example.jpg (188.41 KiB) Viewed 546 times
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

While responding to a question about the mod I worked out a way on how to add the following to the mod:

- Kasrkin
- Catachan Devil Squads
- Inquisitorial Storm Troopers
- Death Korps Grenadiers
- Kill Squad Troopers
- Ork Hunter Firesweep Teams
- Steel Legion Storm Troopers

Attachments
TempestusScions.jpg
TempestusScions.jpg (88.29 KiB) Viewed 547 times
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

I have put together a list of 4518 planets from the Warhammer universe and am going through the list creating the list of systems based on planets in those systems.

There are a lot of duplicates so duplicates are being removed as I go through the list.
I may end up with 3000 system names by the time I am finished.

bubb_tubbs

RE: Warhammer 40k (V14.1 Patch now released for testing)

Post by bubb_tubbs »

On a slightly-related note, if anybody interested in this mod hasn't checked out Bruva Alfabusa's excellent 40k content on YouTube, I highly encourage them to do so.

ArchWarhammer and Luetin got me into the lore, but the Emperor TTS videos and podcasts have had me in absolute stitches.

I'll give this mod a try once I've finished the RetreatUE playthroughs I'm in the middle of.
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

ORIGINAL: bubb_tubbs

On a slightly-related note, if anybody interested in this mod hasn't checked out Bruva Alfabusa's excellent 40k content on YouTube, I highly encourage them to do so.

ArchWarhammer and Luetin got me into the lore, but the Emperor TTS videos and podcasts have had me in absolute stitches.

I'll give this mod a try once I've finished the RetreatUE playthroughs I'm in the middle of.

Please keep in mind this is still a Beta version and I am continuing where the original developer left off.

From what I read it seems the developer did a lot of work on the mod and then lost the lot.... so I don't blame his decision to stop work on the mod. I have been there myself so know the feeling.

With the fixes I have put in to Version 14.1 I want to see if that fixes the problems the mod had back in 2016. My understanding is the mod has had problems since Version 10 which is no longer available.

rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

I have spent all day on it but finally have finished creating the Warhammer Systems file.
The zip file contains the systems file as it is with a backup name and the new systems file.

Add both files to the mod folder to install the new system names for Warhammer4K.

New Systems Names Link Below
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wwnnivgryitvi ... s.zip?dl=0

rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

As from the next update the version numbers will change.

Instead of version 15 the version number will be 1.15.

When the mod is deemed stable I will then begin work on version 2.0 which will be adding new content.

Attachments
Logo.jpg
Logo.jpg (80.01 KiB) Viewed 545 times
gonderlane

Post by gonderlane »

Again, thank you for your hard work rjord1. It's very much appreciated in reviving this.
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

ORIGINAL: gonderlane

Again, thank you for your hard work rjord1. It's very much appreciated in reviving this.

Thanks again gonderlane..... Though I have not actually had too much to do with the Warhammer over the years I am however well aware of it and how popular it is in Distant Worlds.

I think it would be a shame for it to not continue development as Warhammer is such a huge story over such a long period of time.

So I am all too happy to take on the development of the mod... and in doing so learn everything there is to know about Warhammer.

Have even started reading the first book.

rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

One of the first changes to the mod will be where the Shakturi and Mechanoids are included in the races file and therefore would appear at some stage in the game. I noticed in June 2014 that the developer had mentioned in the forum that "The shakturi/mechanoids will be replaced with traitor legions/loyalists at some point in the future."

Anyway I guess we have reached that point in the future and I see no need for the Shakturi or Mechanoids still to be in Warhammer.

Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

we don't Need them [the Shakturi] in WarHammer 40K.. !!!!!
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

ORIGINAL: Hattori Hanzo

we don't Need them [the Shakturi] in WarHammer 40K.. !!!!!

Let me know if you have any preferences on who should replace the shakturi and mechanoids and I will work on those for the next update.

phoagne

Post by phoagne »

ORIGINAL: rjord1
Let me know if you have any preferences on who should replace the shakturi and mechanoids and I will work on those for the next update.
I dont think there are races who could take role similar to mechanoids. Maybe just disable them?
Shakturi could be chaos cultists or traitor legions or someone like this. But maybe that would be too much human-centristic. IMHO it wouldn't be a bad idea to disable shakturi too.
And yes, you can't make mechanoids into the Emprah, because firstly, it's a heresy, and secondly, KILL XENOS.
Sooooo... yep. Better just to disable.
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

ORIGINAL: phoagne
I dont think there are races who could take role similar to mechanoids. Maybe just disable them?
Shakturi could be chaos cultists or traitor legions or someone like this. But maybe that would be too much human-centristic. IMHO it wouldn't be a bad idea to disable shakturi too.
And yes, you can't make mechanoids into the Emprah, because firstly, it's a heresy, and secondly, KILL XENOS.
Sooooo... yep. Better just to disable.

Hi... thanks for your comment.

The replacement for the mechanoids does not need to be similar and can be completely different..... and yes the Shakturi would go as well.

I was looking for feedback from Warhammer fans for other races they would like to see in the mod as the original developer was going to create a completely new mod to add new races.... however he never mentioned which races he was going to add.

phoagne

Post by phoagne »

Hi... thanks for your comment.

The replacement for the mechanoids does not need to be similar and can be completely different..... and yes the Shakturi would go as well.

I was looking for feedback from Warhammer fans for other races they would like to see in the mod as the original developer was going to create a completely new mod to add new races.... however he never mentioned which races he was going to add.

TBH I think there is no need for any "special" races, just old-school deathmatch.

Unfortunately I am not that familiar with Warhammer 30k and Great Crusade, so can't help with any races. This link may be useful - /wiki/List_of_sentient_species

But I am sure I would be glad to see squats as a playable race [;)] /wiki/Squat

I don't have 10 posts, so can't post links, soooo... wh40k , lexicanum , com
I hope I didn't break any rules and won't be banned.
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

Don't worry you have not done anything to get banned
Galahad78

Post by Galahad78 »

Wow...just...wow [&o][&o]

This is a late X-mas gift! [:D]

Thanks to the original creator and thanks a lot to rjord1 for reviving it, I'll definitely give it a go shortly.
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

ORIGINAL: Galahad78

Wow...just...wow [&o][&o]

This is a late X-mas gift! [:D]

Thanks to the original creator and thanks a lot to rjord1 for reviving it, I'll definitely give it a go shortly.

Thanks Galahad78..... I havnt had too much time to test the Warhammer 40K mod as I am trying to get Stargate out next week.....

If you can let me know if the mod crashes at any stage....and if so.... was anything happening at that time which might point to where the problem is.

I had fixed a number of issues I found with the original mod so hopefully those changes fixed whatever was crashing the mod.

rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

I have been going through the Warhammer mod and the notes left by the original creator and I had noticed that he said the following 4 years ago:

"all the characters are named after people who have commented on the forums here or on steam, in addition to some others who I generally admire."

I can understand the reasons for doing that however I am proposing that the naming of characters be changed from this method and that I actually use real character names from W40K.

What this means is that instead of for example the Orks having 5 characters in the mod as per the current version that I add characters based on a list I have of 276 Ork characters from W40K and W41K.

The Imperials as another example currently have 5 characters.... I have a list of 299 Imperial character names to sort through to see which go in the mod.

phoagne

Post by phoagne »

I have been going through the Warhammer mod and the notes left by the original creator and I had noticed that he said the following 4 years ago:

"all the characters are named after people who have commented on the forums here or on steam, in addition to some others who I generally admire."

I can understand the reasons for doing that however I am proposing that the naming of characters be changed from this method and that I actually use real character names from W40K.

Don't forget, this mod is about Age of Strife a.k.a. M30, not M40. It would be really strange if, for example, Ghazghkull or Sebastian Yarrick will be there and that's why there is no Tau in the mod.
Well, it was about Age of Strife, you can make it into anything.

Return to “Design and Modding”