Distant Worlds 2 News?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Rising-Sun

RE: Distant Worlds 2 News?

Post by Rising-Sun »

Yeah I was looking forward to that MoO3, turned out crap.

But, really looking forward to DW2 though.
SirHoraceHarkness

Post by SirHoraceHarkness »

ORIGINAL: Rising-Sun

Yeah I was looking forward to that MoO3, turned out crap.

But, really looking forward to DW2 though.

Much of the problem with moo3 was the switch of developers and how the industry was morphing from niche well developed titles into the generic appeal to as broad an audience as possible model. The new devs tried but were not able to capture the intent and creativity of the original devs. I don't have this type of fear for dw2 and will most likely buy it at launch full retail provided the forum feedback on it is positive though expansions better be a bit more reasonable. [:'(]
Intel i9 11900k all core oc@5.3 - 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 DDR4 CL16 - EVGA RTX 3090 24gb FTW3 Ultra - MSI Z490 A-PRO Mobo
wetpig

Post by wetpig »

Christ! I chose a good time to get into the game!

Edit: I just read through the whole thread and god is it painful. The number 2019 springs to mind sadly...

Edit2: do we at least have confirmation that it will run on 64bit architecture? I cant see the game really going any further with out it.
Vasquez

Post by Vasquez »

Jesus I hope DW2 will be released in 2019.

I´am already grandfather now and my time is running low you know ;-)
rxnnxs

Post by rxnnxs »

I will also buy it blind.
There are not much companies I trust these days, but in this case, I am in from day one!
Reason is, to know the mechanics right from the beginning and to grow with the game.

I made so many mistakes and bought really crap and therefore supported companies that did not deserve the money!
right now i am still trying to like MoO3, but i always stop playing after some turns. when I had some fights, the sitrep does not even tell me against whom i fought with! what?! so i have to write down who attacked me?! no, thanks!
and then there is Sword of the stars 2.. well... really, i also try it from time to time, but i can not understand all those mechanics and graphic nonsense.
that is the second game where i bought without thinking/waiting.

also there is the X-3 game. fortunately, i woke up this time and never ever after i bought a game without waiting and reading in the forums.
and so I just read and found out that many others do it the same: they just wait and stay away from such a new game with new bugs and sequels that take years to grow and get better, and then, the dev or studio decides to bring out the next one - while the actual one is not even bug free!!

so again, please, i will wait for years to come, or better, play an alpha or beta, but please, make a game that will last for decades!

a game that is compareable with this one is sector polaris. just a tiny team, able to bring out good software. PLUS, they update their game years later.
thanks, guys!!
tortugapower

Post by tortugapower »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi everyone,

The game is coming together, but there is always a lot more to do. We are still working daily on development, art, design and data together with our artists and supertesters and the trials and tribulations of life occasionally knock us for a loop, but forward progress this year has been truly excellent. I have learned not to give estimates, but I am happy with the team we have and the progress we are making. We have been staying close to the latest milestone schedule we set for ourselves earlier this year and I expect wider testing will begin in the coming months. When we have more complete art in the game and we've made it through the first wave of testing, I expect we'll have a lot more to share with you all.

Regards,

- Erik

Quite happy for the update!

I was recently playing Stellaris, and it has become my third favorite 4X space game (behind DW and Aurora 4X, of course). However, I already miss the fantastic ship design and amazing immersion offered by the private sector and all its ships.

I'm glad that things are progressing well with Distant Worlds 2, and I'm sure that the time and care going into its development will make the final product worth the wait.
Matrix Games video tutorials:
Distant Worlds Universe
Advanced Tactics Gold
HsojVvad

Post by HsojVvad »

While it sucks waiting, I rather wait and let them work on it. TOO many games are realeased WAY TO EARLY. For me, Civ VI is still in Early Access. So even if Distant Worlds 2 came out now it could still be another 2-4 years before we get the full game. Hopefully they do not go the 2K/Firaxis or Stellaris route and release a half game where we need expansions to fledge out the game. At least Distant Worlds 1 was a complete game and more added to it.

How big or little Distant Worlds 2 will be? No clue. Won't even guess since how gaming companies or should I say Publishers act now. Even if we don't get the full Distant World in DW2, I rather have a fully playable, hopefully not bug ridden game where we are waiting for it to get fixed. I rather wait now, instead of waiting when the game is released and I won't play it because it doesn't work. I have learned my lesson with Civ V.

Take your time Eric. Don't rush and make an awesome product we know you can do now.
Omnius

Post by Omnius »

I sure hope DW2 will have smarter sorting, like alphanumeric sorting instead of the current user-unfriendly sorting illogic of when a unit is created. Nothing is more frustrating than having to hunt down the specific name of a ship to transfer a character to the stupid way it's done now. While being able to sort by role helps slim down the selection to the desired ship type it's still a major time waster having to go through a list that's not smartly sorted by alphanumerics. This is especially true when ship numbers go over 1,000. More needs to be done improving the user interface so we're not wasting so much time micromanaging our stuff. The game is not worth playing letting the Artificial Ignorance control building or ship missions. Another big time waster is having to scroll down lengthy lists, like resource stations, when they get to having several hundred of them. You have to go to the end of the list to find the most recent additions and that can take too many scrolls or page downs that only go part of that screen in length instead of the whole way. When I conquer an alien race I always have to stop and clean up their garbage, having to hunt down their resource stations and ships to delete them since most aren't worth having or were built in stupid places. Having a button that lets us go to the end of the list would be very helpful. Is alphanumeric sorting really too much to ask for?

I'm also dead set against having a game start earlier, before space flight tech is researched, as some have proposed. This is a space game and let's keep it that way. For those who want to waste time on pre-spaceflight tech go buy Civilization and play that. I played once from the very beginning of the pre-warp spaceflight tech and found that it's just too many techs for the AI to keep up with. Just had too much of an advantage racing through the tech tree leaving the AI's in the dust while finishing off all the techs giving me a huge advantage. I'll never play from that start again to give the AI's more of a chance in keeping up with tech research. Adding more pre-spaceflight techs to the list won't make the game better, it'll just unbalance it even more.

Another improvement would be in making it easier to select planets or spaceports when trying to move ships. Very tough to send a ship to a world when there are a slew of ships covering it, or a large spaceport that covers up most of the planet. Spaceports should not be bigger than planets or moons, make them a more reasonable size. Also make it easier to access the spaceport when lots of ships are hovering above it when we're trying to move ships, really a pain in the behind now. When you're accessed to a ship or fleet and you try to move it to a planet or spaceport with lots of ships covering it it can be impossible to access either to give a ship or fleet a specific command like move to the planet or retrofit at that planet's spaceport. Perhaps making the nametag of the planet a safe place we can always hover the mouse over to right-click up the command submenu for either planet or spaceport would be awesome. I really hate having to give ships or fleets a generic command of retrofitting when the ignorant program decides to send that ship or fleet to some other planet that isn't really the closest or desired one.

As much as I like DW:Universe I won't buy DW2 blindly, or any game for that matter. I won't buy if there aren't significant upgrades done to the user-unfriendly UI. I love controlling all aspects of the game, just don't trust Artificial Ignorances to do anything but mess up my plans with stupid orders. I just hate having to waste so much time or so many clicks to get something done. I also don't want tunnel carpal syndrome from a poorly thought-out user interface like DW:U has.
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

Omnius, do you know that you can change the names of the ships [or any other things] in DW:U ?

about busy planets or spaceports, you can always send the ship [or fleet] to a point in space near to that planet using the right mouse button and when the ship will reach that point you have selected just order to refit [or refuel or any other thing you wish to order] to the closer planet.

not so difficult in my opinion.
Raagun

Post by Raagun »

Oh, I am just pleased to know that it IS in development. Not like some Victoria 3 :D
I just wish some developers update would be leaked to have better picture how much is done already. To have and idea about ETA. Also some guidelines they follow for DW2 on what game it will be.

P.S. love DW:U. I am one of these suckers who constantly calls it best 4x in the market :)
Larsenex

Post by Larsenex »

Eric,

Thanks for the update. I am looking forward to the next incarnation of this amazing game!

https://ibb.co/DVdvfXc
Go for the Eyes Boo!

Intel 8700K Oc'd to 4.8ghz
32 gigs ram
GTX 1070 w/ 6gigs ram.
Using a cache drive from intel with a 60gig flash & 1 terrabyt hd accelerated.
Webbco

Post by Webbco »

Could I be so bold as to ask for a little Christmas eye candy? In the spirit of festive cheer, a cheeky glimpse of a WIP?

Please...?
Ranbir

Post by Ranbir »

Dev diaries would be a good idea.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Moltrey

Post by Moltrey »

Hmm... methinks the odds of that are depressingly small.

Over the years I have found Matrix to be much like the famed Lockheed Skunk Works. You never know what the hell is going on behind the scenes, but the releases are usually worth waiting for.
"Chew, if only you could see what I've seen with your eyes." - Roy Batty
RogerRogertheDodger

Post by RogerRogertheDodger »

Count me in, waiting for DW2 also
bbenham

Post by bbenham »

I'm just hoping not to die before it comes out. Getting old, so which will strike first - DW2 or Senility ?

Much appreciate the wonderful work you guys do. Just strange that you all spread yourselves so thin across too many projects and never seem to finish before people start forgetting what they were waiting for :)
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: bbenham

I'm just hoping not to die before it comes out. Getting old, so which will strike first - DW2 or Senility ?

Well, if it's senility then you can play Distant Worlds Universe again and it will seem new to you. :)
BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08
Arturo28

Post by Arturo28 »

ORIGINAL: RogerBacon

ORIGINAL: bbenham

Well, if it's senility then you can play Distant Worlds Universe again and it will seem new to you. :)

Good point! [:)]
CyclopsSlayer

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

Still waiting and wondering with bated breath...
scotten_usa

Post by scotten_usa »

ORIGINAL: CyclopsSlayer

Still waiting and wondering with bated breath...

The servants wait while the master baits. [:D]

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”