Non-NATO Counters

Graphics, sound, and database mods.

Scenarios should still be posted in the main 'Mods and Scenarios' forum below
kosmoface

Non-NATO Counters

Post by kosmoface »

Hi there,

I have to confess something: I really don't like NATO counters. So if the game allows it I create my own counters (did this also for some other Matrix Games).

I do this for my personal use, please take it as that. As something I did fopr myself and just want to share.

TOAW IV was the most daunting task, because there are many counters and NO explanation in the manual (I couldn't find one). Just a sidenote - if you want to attract new players, at least give them a helping hand about what all these symbols represent.

DISCLAIMER
I am by no means a NATO-counter-expert. Because of this it is possible that I translated some symbols wrongly. Just take these pictures as is. If you want to make it better or something - I can send you my original PSD file.

HOW TO USE:

Just drop counterunits.png and h_counterunits.png in the GRAPHICS Folder of your TOAW IV Main Folder.(Graohic override didn't work for me somehow). These PNGs are viable for the first two zoom levels, after that it is NATO symbols again. I think it is the best of both worlds.
Attachments
NonNATOc..sTOAWIV.zip
(172.27 KiB) Downloaded 288 times
kosmoface

RE: Non-NATO Counters

Post by kosmoface »

And this is how it looks like.

Attachments
nonNATOcounters.jpg
nonNATOcounters.jpg (153.17 KiB) Viewed 785 times
Cabido

Post by Cabido »

This is very nice. Congratulations. I will try it later. I like NATO counters, but I think it is nice to have options like that just to make the game feel different sometimes, mainly when playing more tactically focused scenarios. I really like the idea of using NATO counters for zoomed out views and figurative counters for zoomed in. In fact, I'm quite curious about the way this will look when zoomed out. I think resolution is already low in the larger counters set.

I began doing my own set, but gave up due to the number of symbols too. Some would have to use the same kind of equipment but still look different. And if considered we must make them look as generic as possible, it is really a huge task.
kosmoface

Post by kosmoface »

It was a huge task. I tried to make a set for TOAW III, but capitulated at making hundreds of different colored files.

I was very happy that TOAW IV made this task way easier. Still... with many symbols I had and have no clue if I interpreted them in the right way. I can't stress enough, some kind of explanation in the manual would have been really great. I took me much longer to make the set, because I did not understand at what I was looking at.

Moreso, I mostly play the Germans, so most pictures represent German equipment. In the end it was important for me that you get what the picture is representing and chose freely from the pictures I found.

So it really is something tailored to my personal needs - don't wonder. Other than that, I am very curious in what you think of them. I believe I like my Gary Grigsby Non-Nato counters best.

Attachments
Info.jpg
Info.jpg (972.46 KiB) Viewed 798 times
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Nice work, options are always nice.
kosmoface

Post by kosmoface »

You're welcome. :)
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Thanks for making this available. Fits well with the WW1 era I'm playing now.

Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (282.1 KiB) Viewed 764 times

kosmoface

Post by kosmoface »

That was unintentional, but I am happy it does. ;) :)
r6kunz

Post by r6kunz »

I downloaded the file;

Question: is there a way I can open the counters in WWI scenarios only, and NATO in others scenario?

Thanks,
Avatar image was taken in hex 87,159 Vol 11 of
Vietnam Combat Operations by Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT aka Boonierat.
cathar1244

Post by cathar1244 »

I think the only way is to have a copy of the .png files in every WWI scenario folder under "Graphics Override".

Cheers
r6kunz

Post by r6kunz »

That does the trick. Not hard to go through the individual scenarios I am interested in...
cheers
r6kunz

Post by r6kunz »

ORIGINAL: kosmoface

It was a huge task. I tried to make a set for TOAW III, but capitulated at making hundreds of different colored files.

I was very happy that TOAW IV made this task way easier. Still... with many symbols I had and have no clue if I interpreted them in the right way. I can't stress enough, some kind of explanation in the manual would have been really great. I took me much longer to make the set, because I did not understand at what I was looking at.

Moreso, I mostly play the Germans, so most pictures represent German equipment. In the end it was important for me that you get what the picture is representing and chose freely from the pictures I found.

So it really is something tailored to my personal needs - don't wonder. Other than that, I am very curious in what you think of them. I believe I like my Gary Grigsby Non-Nato counters best.
Many thanks.
Generally, I prefer NATO symbology for Operational Level, but these look great for WWI scenarios.
Cheers
Magpius

Post by Magpius »

Brilliant work kosmo...
[&o]

"I don't believe in reincarnation because I refuse to come back as a bug or as a rabbit".
kosmoface

Post by kosmoface »

Thank you, Magpius. I am happy to share.
Profender

Post by Profender »

thanks for the counters
tcarusil

Post by tcarusil »

Late to the party, but I was looking at your map. Is there a particular mod or files that you used for your map details. Thanks.

TomC

Return to “Mods”