River and broken brige

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
nukkxx5058

River and broken brige

Post by nukkxx5058 »

Hi there, how do I know on which side of the river my unit is ? I destroyed the bridge and I definitely would prefer be on the east side of the river (I'm Soviet defending).
So when I'm exactly "on" the river hex, how do I know that I'm on the side I wish ?
Furthermore, in this case the MP cost is the same toward the two sides, so I don't see the benefit of destroying the bridge, (at least for infantry units)
Thx

Attachments
20190116..eenshots.jpg
20190116..eenshots.jpg (27.42 KiB) Viewed 74 times
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) :-)
cathar1244

RE: River and broken brige

Post by cathar1244 »

In defense, I'm pretty sure you want to be on a hex adjacent to the river hex. Attacking units on the river hex will have a disadvantage IIRC.

Cheers
Shadrach

Post by Shadrach »

The MP cost is incurred when moving *into* a hex (with a broken bridge). The game does not have the concept of "river sides".

On defense, I'm not sure, I think since the cost of moving into a river hex is higher, it would make sense to set up defense on the river hex itself.
OUW (Order of the Upgrade Wars)
There are folks out there with way too much time on their hands.
- Norm Koger
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

OK, thanks for this answer. It clarifies things.
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) :-)
cathar1244

Post by cathar1244 »

Unit strengths in Water assaults
Land units attacking from River, Super River, Canal, Suez Canal, or Deep Water (Amphibious Assaults) have all Strengths multiplied by 0.7.

That is from the terrain effects chart for TOAW III.

Cheers
Shadrach

Post by Shadrach »

Unit strengths in Water assaults
Land units attacking from River, Super River, Canal, Suez Canal, or Deep Water (Amphibious Assaults) have all Strengths multiplied by 0.7.

Yep, suspected I'd got it wrong...

So setting up defense on the hexes adjacent to a river is the best. Forcing first the enemy to spend more MP to enter the river hex, then having to attack with a disadvantage [:)]
OUW (Order of the Upgrade Wars)
There are folks out there with way too much time on their hands.
- Norm Koger
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

OK ! Well noted !
So I guess that if the bridge is intact, the 0.7 multiplier won't apply ? Attacking from a bridge is without penalty ?
cathar1244

Post by cathar1244 »

Not sure, but IIRC the bridge does not negate the combat penalty for the attacker.

Cheers
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

So in this case destroying a bridge is just affecting the cost in terms of mouvement points to cross the river ? No impact on attack, if I understand correctly ?
cathar1244

Post by cathar1244 »

A broken bridge will also impact the flow of supply along the road and across the river.

Cheers
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

You can't trace supply across a 'super' river hex if there is no bridge or bridging services (pontoon or major ferry).
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

Ok cool ! Thanks. [:)]
r6kunz

Post by r6kunz »

ORIGINAL: cathar1244

A broken bridge will also impact the flow of supply along the road and across the river.

Cheers
As an aside to those who might question the improvements from TOAW III to IV:

Previously if a road in real life ran parallel to a river so that it occupied the same hex as the river in the game, it was susceptible to being blown, even if it was not crossing the river. Case in point, under to the old engine a unit could effectively deny the use of that road. Here the Belgian Battalion went along the road, blowing every "bridge" as it went along, even though the road did not cross the river. Unrealistically denying use of the road to any armor units. Now with the new bridge rule option in play, it could have only blown a bridge where the road actually crosses the river.

Attachments
blownbridges.jpg
blownbridges.jpg (464.45 KiB) Viewed 74 times
Avatar image was taken in hex 87,159 Vol 11 of
Vietnam Combat Operations by Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT aka Boonierat.
rhinobones

Post by rhinobones »

Amen . . . good VI rule.

Regards, RhinoBones
Colin Wright:
Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post by broccolini » Sun Nov 06, 2022
. . . no-one needs apologize for douchebags acting like douchebags

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”