Range rings

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

xnavytc

Range rings

Post by xnavytc »

When i click on a base hex there are all different circles or rings around it, what are these for.

Thanks
TC ET1(SS)
Macclan5

RE: Range rings

Post by Macclan5 »

Likely search rings for a squadron of Catalina's etc you have on base on island.

1) You have Catalina's or aircraft assigned to search ?

2) You have not set specific search 'arcs' using the compass mechanism within orders ?

Your manual will explain search arcs and range.

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

I don't use them much. Just for PBY patrol zones....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

They could also be for a ship TF if there is one there. You can turn off "range circles" for air and sea units in the Preferences area (second button from the left at the top of the screen).
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

When you click on a base one type of each category, land,air and sea will be the default selected unit of that type.
The default selected air squadron's range rings are displayed.
Select a different air squadron and and the range rings will update to the new choice.
Hans

xnavytc

Post by xnavytc »

thanks for the replies is there anyplace in the manual that tells which colors are for which (land, sea, air) ??

thanks again
TC ET1(SS)
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: xnavytc

thanks for the replies is there anyplace in the manual that tells which colors are for which (land, sea, air) ??

thanks again
You can find out yourself - just click on a TF or Air unit with range circles set ON. For ships, the first circle is the range during a 12 hour phase at cruise speed. The second circle is the range during a 12 hour phase at full speed. Some ships, like xAPs Queen Elizabeth and Queen Mary have full speed equal to cruise speed so there is only one circle. If the distance circle seems too close for the ship cruise speed, it has likely been adjusted because the AI intends to automatically refuel ship(s) at sea during the next phase. For rule of thumb, a speed of 10 knots equals three hexes per phase.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
xnavytc

Post by xnavytc »

thanks fanboy and everyone for your awesome help. Hopefully someday I'll be ready to take on a mentor for a small pbem

thanks again all

TC ET1(SS)
TC ET1(SS)
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

When i click on a base hex there are all different circles or rings around it, what are these for.

Seems all new players are interested in these, but TBH I don't even notice them anymore. I apologize upfront to whom ever spent the time and effort to include these, and I realize to some they are most useful. To me they are mostly just 'eye candy'. Sorry, JMHO. YMMV.[:)]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: rustysi

Seems all new players are interested in these, but TBH I don't even notice them anymore. I apologize upfront to whom ever spent the time and effort to including these, and I realize to some they are most useful. To me they are mostly just 'eye candy'. Sorry, JMHO. YMMV.[:)]

I never play with any range circles on whatsoever.

Alfred

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”