Desert War: You Have It, Hate It!!!

Brian Kellys Desert War: 1940-42 captures the drama of the campaign for North Africa during World War II.
bcgames

Desert War: You Have It, Hate It!!!

Post by bcgames »

Please take the time and explain why. We'd like to fix it. Thanks.
bcgames

RE: Desert War: You Have It, Hate It!!!

Post by bcgames »

You have the game. It has been described with abandon as crap AI, too many units per hex, and a whole set of graphics peccadilloes. Feel free to pile-on on all these categories and heck...find a few more! Let The People know why you hate this game and what you would do to make it better. Comment on something you like or dislike...to keep it good or make it just a little bit better...? You OWN IT. Got it. How to make it better?

Please take a moment and share your comments so we can do something about your concerns before the design is complete on the next game. I know how to go through the next green light all on my own...do you? Once through, there we finally are. Period.
What say you before we get there?

Throw-up, throw-down, or throw-in...but if you spent money on this game--Chime-in! ...so we have an idea about how to move forward positively with the game YOU played, and the game YOU want to play in the future. Own it.

Onwards!
rjantzi

Post by rjantzi »

I'd like to remind you of my request to adjust the colors used to show LOC and COC. The yellow/green shades used at this time make it next to impossible for me, as a red-green color blind person, to differentiate. Perhaps an option to have a secondary color palette could be offered as I'm sure for people with normal color vision things are fine as is.

This issue with the colors is a show stopper for me as the effort it takes to determine the status of each unit really takes away from the flow of the game. If using green & yellow in the game can I suggest using shades more like this?

Will you make any changes/improvements available for the current game via updates or are they only going to be implemented in the next, Eastern Front, game?

Attachments
yellow_green.jpg
yellow_green.jpg (8.49 KiB) Viewed 270 times
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

Thanks for the feedback and the suggested color palette. I'm shooting for changing yellow to amber as the game system standard. I think it will work best across the spectrum of potential theaters of operation...there's lots of green terrain in the future. I would like to see this palette change implemented first in Desert War.
Okayrun3254

Post by Okayrun3254 »

When I open the game, one of the first things that catch my eye are the unit stacks. To some players this may not be a big deal, and to some it may represent a number of units to manage. My take is that it may also be a matter of how the graphics are presented. I have looked at some older games to see how stacks were represented. One game that I still like shows individual counters, and counters over stacks, but the stacks are very discreet, only showing a fine line shadow that tells you there is a stack below. In my opinion, the number of units in a game is a real issue to some players, but I think graphics can help to divert the attention from the stack, so a player can concentrate on other parts of the game.
rmwood6426

Post by rmwood6426 »

The game is virtually unplayable in Windows mode. I have a 34" monitor and in windows mode much of the bottom border of the game screen is cut off. Especially when trying to use naval, air assets etc.
Okayrun3254

Post by Okayrun3254 »

I would really like to see photos of the commanders attached to the higher level HQ's. In my years of gaming, this has been one of the features that always increases the immersion factor for me.
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

ORIGINAL: Okayrun3254

I would really like to see photos of the commanders attached to the higher level HQ's. In my years of gaming, this has been one of the features that always increases the immersion factor for me.
We got push-back on this topic years ago when Desert War was in the formative stage. I'm certainly open to a re-visit. In the end, the gaming of the topic should be immersive and fun.
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

I like the whole premise, the Desert War, and bought it. I played a couple of scenarios and am in no way qualified to make any judgment except to hope you continue to develop the game. I played as the Commonwealth against the Italians in the early war scenario with the Axis being computer controlled... I felt the AI should be more aggressive, attacking more and not leaving units sitting far from the action, or driving through the desert sort of defensively. But I know many good games that work fine head to head, but not so well with the AI, especially the AI as the attacker. Just my two cents.
JRR
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

ORIGINAL: baloo7777

...hope you continue to develop the game.

As we speak.

I played as the Commonwealth against the Italians in the early war scenario with the Axis being computer controlled... I felt the AI should be more aggressive, attacking more and not leaving units sitting far from the action, or driving through the desert sort of defensively.
Agree. Our AI was intentionally "handicapped" to act as The Player would (i.e. only react to what you can see); we didn't want it to "cheat". The problem is, The Player "sees" and understands the situation better than the AI because The Player can remember each turn, leverage the "flow" of the battle, and therefore--outsmart the AI. So, handicapping the AI to act as The Player acts requires an AI that "remembers" and learns from its memories, projects viable operations into the future, and selects the best course of action for "the next turn". We (Brian and I) are not going to achieve that kind of capability in the near future (if ever). BUT--we can provide a more competitive opponent.

Our approach now is to ditch the "fair play" crap because as it turns out, it isn't fair for the AI. The Human's decision cycle (observe-orient-decide-act) plus memory of the past...is far superior to our AI's ability to do the same thing. What to do? First, recognize the imbalance--we have. Second, devise a potential solution to the problem--we have. Implement and then test the solution--we are/will. Stay tuned.

But I know many good games that work fine head to head...
If you want to play head-to-head, jump in. I have PBEM challenges issued for every scenario of Desert War for both sides. It's alot of fun. While in-game, I will answer any and all of your play questions up front and/or during play (there's a "chat" capability). 29 Let's go!
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

ORIGINAL: rmwood6426

The game is virtually unplayable in Windows mode. I have a 34" monitor and in windows mode much of the bottom border of the game screen is cut off. Especially when trying to use naval, air assets etc.
I can't address this one...but I don't want your issue to go un-addressed. Maybe someone familiar with the technical side can chime in here. Thanks.
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

ORIGINAL: rjantzi
Will you make any changes/improvements available for the current game via updates or are they only going to be implemented in the next, Eastern Front, game?
Hi, sorry for the delay in responding, but I've been away.
Yellow will be "Amber" in the next Desert War patch.
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

ORIGINAL: rmwood6426

What do you mean? Do you mean the game window is bigger than your monitor (if you know what I mean)?
Can you post a screenshot?
Thanks,
Brian
rmwood6426

Post by rmwood6426 »

I have a screenshot ready. How do I post it, or possibly email it?
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

Great, thanks:
saint_ruth1691@yahoo.ie
[8D]

Return to “Desert War 1940 - 1942”