Soviet Aircraft Upgrade/Swap

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

56ajax

Soviet Aircraft Upgrade/Swap

Post by 56ajax »

What is the best parameters to set whereby the system will upgrade or swap out obsolete aircraft?

Most of the I type fighter bombers have an upgrade path for aircraft that do not become available until 1942 so i need them to swap out - leave them in the front line with no reinforcements until their total is less than 50% then send them to reserve?

And what is the chance (%) that a swap out will happen anyway?
Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne
thedoctorking

RE: Soviet Aircraft Upgrade/Swap

Post by thedoctorking »

Actually, they are plenty useful as fighters in 1941. Especially against Axis minor air forces. In the Connect4 game, our highest experience fighter squadron was flying I-16's.
Beria

Post by Beria »

According to the manual and experience up to the version before the current public beta the percentage chances of success of auto swaps increase the larger the pool, the smaller the percentage of total aircraft in the group, the further to the west (Axis) or east(Soviet) the air group it is, or if it is in the national reserve. I do not know if the bug in national reserve in the current version affects it. I have never seen the exact formula given - but the developers have said for Axis it is different for the minor allies air forces compared to the Luftwaffe. There is of course also the option of manually doing the swap which guarantees it will happen but at the cost of points and some other things.
Gary Grigsby Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
56ajax

Post by 56ajax »

Unfortunately the manual is vague in the sense that it uses the words 'may' 'chance' 'priority' 'percent' 'number in the pool' without any definition....

C'est la guerre aérienne
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: 56ajax

Unfortunately the manual is vague in the sense that it uses the words 'may' 'chance' 'priority' 'percent' 'number in the pool' without any definition....

Like a lot of things in the manual it was written specifically vague. As to the best method, manual but there's also an upgrade only (no swap) option. If you want a list of first upgrades it's here. Some are actual some like the, Yak-1 line, I've added to suit me.

I-153BS - IL-2 - IL-2M
I-16/5 - LaGG-3/29 - LaGG-3/66
I-16/24 - LaGG-3/29 - LaGG-3/66
I-15bis - MiG-3 - Yak-1B
I-16/18 - LaGG-3/29 - LaGG-3/66
I-153 - La-5 - La-5F
I-16/29 - LaGG-3/29 - LaGG-3/66
Any - Yak-1 - Yak-1B - Yak-3
LaGG-3 - La-5 - La-5F
LaGG-3/11 - LaGG-3/29 - LaGG-3/66
Yak-7A - Yak-7B - Yak-9M

As to the rules section 18.2.4 the magic figures are

'... Air groups below 75% of maximum number of ready and damaged aircraft in the air group unit automatically get replacements, unless the number of aircraft available in the national pool is over 49 (9 for Axis, as rarely do they have large pools). Once the aircraft count exceeds 15000, the replacements for air groups with old airframes decreases as the total plane count rises.'

To be fair I'm not 100% sure what this actually means. The 'below 75%' is clear on the outside but whan included with the 'over 49' bit it makes no sense. What I think it means is there's a random check below 50 and replacements are not automatic but there's no check above and they are, or is it the other way round??

I think the last sentences implies that older machines are less likely to be replaced as the newer type mount up

If you create new units it picks the type with the largest pool.
56ajax

Post by 56ajax »

ORIGINAL: Chris21wen

'... Air groups below 75% of maximum number of ready and damaged aircraft in the air group unit automatically get replacements, unless the number of aircraft available in the national pool is over 49 (9 for Axis, as rarely do they have large pools). Once the aircraft count exceeds 15000, the replacements for air groups with old airframes decreases as the total plane count rises.'

Struggle with this rule as it seems to state that you only get auto replacements if the number in the pool is 49 (9) or less. Perhaps unless = provided.

C'est la guerre aérienne
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: 56ajax

ORIGINAL: Chris21wen

Struggle with this rule as it seems to state that you only get auto replacements if the number in the pool is 49 (9) or less. Perhaps unless = provided.

As I said, I don't know what it means either for sure, it is not clear. I belive you automatically get replacement when under 75% (ready+damaged) and the pool is over 49. For any other circumstance there's a roll. Makes sense somewhat as it limits the flow of aircraft when you short. From obsrvation it does bear that out.
Colbert

Post by Colbert »

In the latest patches the numbers are now different for Axis from Soviets.
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: Colbert

In the latest patches the numbers are now different for Axis from Soviets.

I'm talking Soviets here. You are correct they are different as I said in an earlier post, 9 in the pool for the Axis.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”