Not in the manual

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
MikeJ19

Not in the manual

Post by MikeJ19 »

A couple of quick questions that I can not seem to find the answers for in the manual.

Attachments
RedThunde..NATO1.jpg
RedThunde..NATO1.jpg (96.77 KiB) Viewed 168 times
Mike

Retired Gunner
cathar1244

RE: Not in the manual

Post by cathar1244 »

Movement bias has been "plus'd up" by half again in this case. The units have 50% more movement points than they normally would.

Dismount means if the unit moves into terrain where the vehicles can't go, the vehicles get returned to the replacement pool and the infantry proceeds without them. From one of the pages on the Matrix site.
1. Dismount Feature:
This new feature is intended to allow motorized infantry to shed motorized transport and thus become foot infantry – allowing it to enter and conduct combat into locations barred to motorized units by certain terrain (dunes, badlands, etc.).
The feature is accessed via the Unit Report. After the “Transport” pane, there is a check box to effect the dismount IF the unit contains any motorized transport. Upon clicking, the motorized transport is removed from the unit (sent to the “On Hand” pools). Then the unit may have “Foot Movement”. While it will only have the foot movement allowance, as a foot unit, it could then operate in dunes and etc.
After dismounting, the Inventory Report will reflect the increase in transport numbers according to the amount released from the unit.
The option to dismount remains available even if the unit is unsupplied. But, if you effect that option, you will first be given a warning. But, if you go ahead and effect the dismount, the motorized transport is not sent to the “On Hand” pools. Rather, it is sent to the dead pile.
In order to resume motorized movement, the unit must first be restored to “mounted” status. To do so, click the Dismount check box back to off. Then, the unit will start to receive motorized transport as replacements in subsequent inter-turn phases. If the box is left in “dismounted” status, no such replacements will be received (leaving the unit in foot mode). But, once unchecked, it will receive them.
If the unit contains Static equipment (towed artillery mostly), then if the transport in the unit had been removed while the artillery remained, the unit would have been switched to a MP of 1 – not what was intended. So, this feature also removes any Static equipment as well.
To enable players to keep track of which units have been dismounted or can be dismounted, the “OOB – Units” Report now has a column to reflect that.
Note that there can be instances where a unit consists entirely of motorized transport and/or Static equipment. In that case, dismounting the unit will have the same effect as disbanding it.
If sub-units have been dismounted then recombination will only result in a dismounted parent if all sub-units were dismounted.
While the primary purpose of the feature is to allow motorized infantry to temporarily operate as foot infantry, other uses can be imagined. For example, it might be used to protect trucks from unnecessary losses in combat by dismounting just prior to combat execution.
It could also be used by designers to model a mostly foot army with some, short term, trucking ability. All infantry could have trucks in their TO&E, but then all be dismounted. Then, if there was only a small amount of trucks available in the pools, an occasional unit could mount-up for a swift transfer to another area, then return the trucks back to the pools by dismounting.

Cheers
r6kunz

Post by r6kunz »

That is exactly right.
Erik Rutins, the designer of the original Red Thunder I, used a novel approach of using no secondary roads and giving units a 1.5x movement points. Thus a 150% Movement Bias.

As an aside, TOAW IV now allows a variable Movement Bias as an Event. So East Front scenarios can reflect the impact of rasputitsa depending on the time of year (turn).

cheers
Avatar image was taken in hex 87,159 Vol 11 of
Vietnam Combat Operations by Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT aka Boonierat.
Shadrach

Post by Shadrach »

On dismount, I'm still quite unsure what units will be sent to the pool, and I am reluctant to use it.

For instance, in the given example above, am I correct in assuming the following will be sent to pool:
M113 APC
Jeep recon?
While the tanks, M150s, SP guns, and the rest will stay and contribute to combat power?

How does this work when it comes to hexes who are impassable to any motorized vehicles?

Or will the unit lose anything with a motor and wheels/tracks?

OUW (Order of the Upgrade Wars)
There are folks out there with way too much time on their hands.
- Norm Koger
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: MikeJ19

A couple of quick questions that I can not seem to find the answers for in the manual.

Force Movement Bias is explained in 8.5.1 in the manual. (This could have been found by searching "Force Movement Bias").

The dismount switch was added post the manual, so it is explained in the "What's New" document. After an update, that document should be perused.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
MikeJ19

Post by MikeJ19 »

Thanks for the quick responses. I did a search for force movement bias earlier and I must have messed something up as I got not results (probably a typo). I appreciate the knowledge on this forum!

I think I will not dismount my Infantry at this stage - I will need them later on...
Mike

Retired Gunner
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: MikeJ19

Thanks for the quick responses. I did a search for force movement bias earlier and I must have messed something up as I got not results (probably a typo). I appreciate the knowledge on this forum!

I think I will not dismount my Infantry at this stage - I will need them later on...
If your motorized infantry unit is facing a foot enemy unit located in badlands or dunes, dismounting is the only way to take him on.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”