Questions from potential buyer

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

JWW

Questions from potential buyer

Post by JWW »

Okay, I've looked at this game for years, but I've been turned off by the sheer immensity of it, even though I recognize it is something special. This holiday season, however, I bought WIF, another game I had looked at for years, and have been having fun playing it solo, against myself. I also had fun learning -- I'm still learning -- how to play. I enjoy the learning part. It is complex, but not nearly as much as this game, I fear. I also like spreadsheets, WIF style, WITE style, Distant Worlds style. I'm used to playing big games, but wonder about this one. So a few questions.

1. What would I need to be able to play it? The game. Updated. But I also read about the tracker. How important is that? And saw mention of updated AI files that seem complicated to install. So what would I need to play the game -- solo, because that is how I play. Can I just buy the game and update it and play? What more is necessary?

2. Even if I never try the full game, could I get $29 of enjoyment out of playing the smaller scenarios. Years ago I bought Uncommon Valor and had good fun with it for a while. For me $29 is not a lot of money. Learning how to run a scenario and playing it a few times and having fun with it would probably constitute $29 of fun from me.
BillBrown

RE: Questions from potential buyer

Post by BillBrown »

As for item #1, yes, you will need to install the game and update. You do not need anything else to play the game.

As for item #2, I do not know how to answer that. I find the full campaign scenarios to be the most fun, but ymmv.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Tracker is important if you are learning to play the Japanese side, in order to play campaign games, but after a few rodeos you won't need it anymore. It's free, so go ahead and get it.

You'll need Java for it to work.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I've been playing this game since 2010 or earlier, almost every flipping day. Spread that $29 over that period and figure it out. Only it won't be fun so much as frustrating, infuriating and require you to get new blood pressure prescriptions.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

You could ask an opioid addict if they could get some fentanyl for $29 but after that it would be free for the rest of their miserable, pathetic and short lives would they take that deal? Know the answer?

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Get the game. You can't go wrong for $29.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

- Tracker is good, makes for an easier an higher quality of life once you learn some of its nuances;

- Personally I'd suggest as a MUST some map mods, available, such as those of Makeelearn for again a much more enjoyable experience and quality of game play - unfortunately the choice of colors and graphics for the basic game, from a friendly user's perspective, is pretty poor (together with the interface for which we have no remedy although);

- even though I've been playing the full campaign only, I find its scope and scale pretty overwhelming hence smaller scenarios , to me, appear the wisest of the choices...;

in any case, PBEM is always the greatest fun and experience; next to it, solo, as you suggest, i.e. you against yourself; but, again, if for the full campaign, that shall result in a decent self wearying undertaking...

I think my greatest fun and utility in this game is to learn...it prompts you to learn so so much and learn more about war history;
JWW

Post by JWW »

FYI, I bought it to make sure I would get it before the sale ended. I don't think I'm going to get to it immediately since I'm in March-April 1940 in a solo WIF campaign. Might dive in because I often have two games of different things going at the same time, or might wait a while. But thanks for advice, and any other advice for new players is welcome.
jcax101

Post by jcax101 »

I don't post much but have been here for over a decade. Awesome game. If you like the WW2 and turn based games this is the holy grail. And the forum support is beyond comparison.
pbiggar

Post by pbiggar »

Welcome aboard!

First off, this is a great game for those who love this sort of thing. I do!
Second point, the steep learning curve can discourage people at the start. Watch the training videos in this forum to learn the basics. tm.asp?m=2353946
Third, this is one of the few games I have played that logistics matter (at least in the grand scenario). Be prepared to spend a lots of time planning and moving supplies around to support your world domination plans.

Finally, the forums are very supportive, people are happy to help.
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

Biggest issue in this game, IMHO, is getting it to run on modern machines. You need to tinker a bit with the switches, which can drive some folks nutz, but really is not to hard. Another thing to do is make sure you load to the official patch, and then I strongly suggest the Beta patch. Start slow, and do not get in a hurry. Tracker is nice for the Japanese, but not all that necessary for the Allies. Dimes to Dollars this is the best investment in a game for the time spent enjoying it.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
rsallen64

Post by rsallen64 »

I bought the game when it first game out, coming off of Uncommon Valor and WITP (which I never got around to playing). It took me years to finally get up the nerve to begin a grand campaign in WITP-AE, for many of the reasons you discuss. I should not have waited so long. Yes, the game it complex, the most complex I have ever played. Yes, the scale is intimidating. But if you read posts, AARs, guides and the MANUAL, it can be tackled and is thrilling to boot. It just needs time and patience, and is very much worth it.

Tracker is helpful to me as an Allied player against the AI because it lets me know what happened, as far as alerts go. It tells me what units arrived where, what units need fuel, gives me intelligence, etc. That information is helpful to have at your fingertips when playing. Consulting the command line switch posts will get you up and running in Windows 10 and there are many posts on the forum that can help with that.

Last, as mentioned above, there is no forum anywhere on the 'net that is as helpful and friendly as this one. There are some VERY experienced players here who will answer whatever questions you have and this is a bonus that cannot be overstated.

Take the plunge and have fun!
Desert War 1940-1942 Beta Tester
Agressors: Ancient Rome Beta Tester
Flashpoint Campaigns: Southern Storm Beta Tester
Kull

Post by Kull »

ORIGINAL: jwarrenw13

I also like spreadsheets

Check out the links in my sig - there are "Turn 2" spreadsheets for each side that will "hold your hand" and walk you through the steps needed to get things moving. There's no substitute for "learning while doing", and these will help.

However, whatever you do, PLEASE start with the Allies! The fastest way to become disillusioned is starting off as Japan. There's just too much to do, and time is also your enemy. Plus the AI is better when playing against Japan,
And saw mention of updated AI files that seem complicated to install. So what would I need to play the game -- solo, because that is how I play. Can I just buy the game and update it and play? What more is necessary?

As for the AI files, yes you want to update them. However, it can be time consuming to do all of them but you only NEED to update the files for the scenario/campaign you plan to play. That is very quick and easy to do. Just spend some time reading up on the different ones, so you know what to expect from each.
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

ORIGINAL: jwarrenw13

FYI, I bought it to make sure I would get it before the sale ended. I don't think I'm going to get to it immediately since I'm in March-April 1940 in a solo WIF campaign. Might dive in because I often have two games of different things going at the same time, or might wait a while. But thanks for advice, and any other advice for new players is welcome.

Welcome aboard! If you have any interest in the game subject at all you can't go wrong for $29! [8D]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
Macclan5

Post by Macclan5 »

Actually the price point is even somewhat mute - probably to many of the veterans of this forum.

I bought the game twice paying more than $29 both times (1 per computer).

This game possesses both strategic and tactical detail like no other - few other wargames.

If the detail and history appeal to you - it will be a wonderful investment at 2 or 3 times that price.

I too - hardly or ever let a day escape when I don't touch my current game - even if for a half hour to review and save.

I have been at this steady for 2+ years now.

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.
dasboot1960

Post by dasboot1960 »

$29.00 is a steal, but you will want to get your command line switches set up (see readme file for starters) or you may be very disappointed with initial performance.
Down like a CLOWN!
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

The fastest way to become disillusioned is starting off as Japan.

That's where I started, but that's me. TBH being a 'lifetime' wargamer and having read this site for quite some time before I truly got into the game helped.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”