Species Limit

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Rexington

Species Limit

Post by Rexington »

Just wondering if theres a limit to adding alien species to game on the startup menu? I heard you only add 50 but wondering if you can add more.
rjord2021

RE: Species Limit

Post by rjord2021 »

ORIGINAL: Rexington

Just wondering if theres a limit to adding alien species to game on the startup menu? I heard you only add 50 but wondering if you can add more.

My Star Trek mod has 112 species so far in the game so I have not yet reached a limit on how many you can add. When I start my mod I restrict to 10 or so races not to overload my pc later but the computer can choose randomly from 112 races I have added to the mod. It guarantees no game will ever be like others you played..

However there is a limit on :

- You can only have 0 - 50 for DesignsPictureFamilyIndex.
In races file this is as high as you can go
DesignsPictureFamilyIndex ;50
If you have example 112 races then 62 races will share the same looking ship as another species.

If you have DesignsPictureFamilyIndex ;51 in the race file for the species Distant Worlds will crash.

-DesignNamesIndex is also limited from 0 to 50 in the race folder for each species.

You can only have up to DesignNamesIndex ;50

There are a few other limits (at least one more) as far as the fields go in the races folder. Look up the file DW Universe Modding Guide EBOOK.pdf in the modding folder of DWU and search for

0 to 50

This will tell you what fields are limited from 0 to 50.... any more than 51 races then you need to share with other species.

For these fields if you put in 51 then Distant Worlds will crash when the mod starts.

Please go through the modding manual as other fields you may want to change may also have set limits.

Example Between -50 and +50 for bias values

My Tip: When you go over 50 races make sure you backup your mod before adding each new race. Test the mod using the race you just added to make sure that race does not break the mod. If you get an error it will be easier to restore back to the last race you added. One typo can cause hours of trying to find where an error is.
Vectrexplosion

Post by Vectrexplosion »

ORIGINAL: rjord1
ORIGINAL: Rexington

My Star Trek mod has 112 species so far in the game so I have not yet reached a limit on how many you can add. When I start my mod I restrict to 10 or so races not to overload my pc later but the computer can choose randomly from 112 races I have added to the mod. It guarantees no game will ever be like others you played..

However there is a limit on :

- You can only have 0 - 50 for DesignsPictureFamilyIndex.
In races file this is as high as you can go
DesignsPictureFamilyIndex ;50
If you have example 112 races then 62 races will share the same looking ship as another species.

If you have DesignsPictureFamilyIndex ;51 in the race file for the species Distant Worlds will crash.

-DesignNamesIndex is also limited from 0 to 50 in the race folder for each species.

You can only have up to DesignNamesIndex ;50

There are a few other limits (at least one more) as far as the fields go in the races folder. Look up the file DW Universe Modding Guide EBOOK.pdf in the modding folder of DWU and search for

0 to 50

This will tell you what fields are limited from 0 to 50.... any more than 51 races then you need to share with other species.

For these fields if you put in 51 then Distant Worlds will crash when the mod starts.

Please go through the modding manual as other fields you may want to change may also have set limits.

Example Between -50 and +50 for bias values

My Tip: When you go over 50 races make sure you backup your mod before adding each new race. Test the mod using the race you just added to make sure that race does not break the mod. If you get an error it will be easier to restore back to the last race you added. One typo can cause hours of trying to find where an error is.

How do you even find enough Star Trek races to put in the mod?

I like strategy games.
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

I'm not arguing with rjord1 since he is digging into the game deeper than anyone else save Roger, but when I cobbled together retreatue I only remember the shipsets over 50 crashing the game.
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

ORIGINAL: Vectrexplosion

How do you even find enough Star Trek races to put in the mod?

In the Alpha and Beta Quadrants alone there are 418 races .
In the Delta Quadrant another 173

Plenty of species to choose from but not in my mod.
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

If you have more than 50 races you need to keep mindful of a few restrictions
If you go over these your mod will crash with an error.

EG

DesignsPictureFamilyIndex limit 0 to 50
DesignNamesIndex limit 0 to 50
DefaultFlagDesign limit 0 to 40
DesignsPictureFamilyIndexPirates limit 0 to 50

If you have more species than 40 or 50 then some species will have to share the same one Index or flag. Hint.... after 40 races test your after adding each additional race to check for errors.

I think these were the major ones as far as adding races go but search the modding guide for the word Valid to see all restrictions.
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

Are you sure flag design is 40?
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

ORIGINAL: Retreat1970

Are you sure flag design is 40?

If you use the flags that comes with Distant Worlds Universe then you have a limit of 0 to 40.

However if you have in your mod a folder images\ui\flagshapes then there is no limit to how many flags you can add in there.

Something to be aware of if you do not design your own flags
Vectrexplosion

Post by Vectrexplosion »

Wow. Great work.

I like strategy games.
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

Nice clarification

Return to “Design and Modding”