Several minor suggestions

Moderator: Hubert Cater

room

Several minor suggestions

Post by room »

1) Paras are too strong imo both in regards to their historic roles and relatives to their cost. They also make Sealion much easier and allow for many one turn conquest that never happened (Sweden/Turkey and many others less important countries) while generally just the capital has fallen and the country armies are intact but for the unit guarding the capital.

So I would decrease their hard attack rating by 0.5 ... Yeah that is minor but it matters ! Then I would make them unable to move if they attack. That would not make the one turn conquest impossible by any means but would require more investment in terms of planes, amphi, etc... and more risky.
Also it would be nice if the para would get the supply ability of the special forces (in less powerfull if possible).

2) If you have ships next to any country not allied to you, it should trigger an averse diplo move. It would help for the preventive placement of the kriegsmarine to sink the Russian fleet. Same case for sweden or dutch indies or Pearl Harbor (though this last case is somehow ruled by the USA no go zone), Australia, etc...

3) Take off the diplo abilities of India or take at least off one of the 2 chits.

4) Production is generally far behind industrie tech: give production the additional advantage of speeding up the time to produce by 5%. That would also give the additional benefit to help USA out do their lack of troops a bit quickier when they enter the war.

5) Intel is too powerful and is a must have: halved the intel bonus on tech.

6) that's probably controversial but I feel HQ units are way too powerful! Though I don't think it is the best, their supply ability must be preserved because of the way supply is handdle so I suggest the leader bonus to be somehow tone down.

7) Also controversial but I really do not see any rationale behind it: the ability to overstrength experienced units... Experience is powerful enough and really for what reason can you pack more men in those units? Even so... if those experienced guy in overstrength unit died, it should reduce their experience... logically.
EvilSpaceFascist

RE: Several minor suggestions

Post by EvilSpaceFascist »

I see all these problems as able to be fixed in the editor. I can see the reasoning behind a lot of these, and I certainly agree with you on the Production part, I have tried to buff it in a mod I'm working on, but I think production is also misunderstood. It isn't meant to replace industrial technology, it's meant to supplement it. Intel, I do agree, is a bit to strong, and although I would normally just change it in the editor, it is already at the minimum increment available (unless I've missed something, which is quite possible) Diplo for India is also something I think needs fixing. while it's in no way optimal, I don't see it as much as a problem, but I would propose a different fix to it. Instead of removing India's diplomacy I would disable the scripts that allow it to mobilize as many units as it can when attacked. If India had to worry about the possibility of being amphibiously invaded by Japan it would make them something other than a diplomacy and research budget. I find it problematic that it can instantly field so many units when it gets attacked. Para hard attack, I neither disagree nor agree with you there. It makes sense, but it makes them harder to use, and despite playing the axis, I don't see them as too strong (although I almost never invade the UK).
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

ORIGINAL: room

1) Paras are too strong imo both in regards to their historic roles and relatives to their cost. They also make Sealion much easier and allow for many one turn conquest that never happened (Sweden/Turkey and many others less important countries) while generally just the capital has fallen and the country armies are intact but for the unit guarding the capital.

So I would decrease their hard attack rating by 0.5 ... Yeah that is minor but it matters ! Then I would make them unable to move if they attack. That would not make the one turn conquest impossible by any means but would require more investment in terms of planes, amphi, etc... and more risky.
Also it would be nice if the para would get the supply ability of the special forces (in less powerfull if possible).

2) If you have ships next to any country not allied to you, it should trigger an averse diplo move. It would help for the preventive placement of the kriegsmarine to sink the Russian fleet. Same case for sweden or dutch indies or Pearl Harbor (though this last case is somehow ruled by the USA no go zone), Australia, etc...

3) Take off the diplo abilities of India or take at least off one of the 2 chits.

4) Production is generally far behind industrie tech: give production the additional advantage of speeding up the time to produce by 5%. That would also give the additional benefit to help USA out do their lack of troops a bit quickier when they enter the war.

5) Intel is too powerful and is a must have: halved the intel bonus on tech.

6) that's probably controversial but I feel HQ units are way too powerful! Though I don't think it is the best, their supply ability must be preserved because of the way supply is handdle so I suggest the leader bonus to be somehow tone down.

7) Also controversial but I really do not see any rationale behind it: the ability to overstrength experienced units... Experience is powerful enough and really for what reason can you pack more men in those units? Even so... if those experienced guy in overstrength unit died, it should reduce their experience... logically.

Some things I have done in my mod. Reduced range of Paras and HQ. But would like Paras to have the supply ability of special forces. Can't find how. Increased costs of purchasing units. Increased costs of research and reinforcing. Will release soon.
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

Warning: Reducing range of HQs will make them even more vulnerable to bombing.
"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

ORIGINAL: Taxman66

Warning: Reducing range of HQs will make them even more vulnerable to bombing.

Not when you reduce the range of air as well. [;)] I've reduced a lot of things with the map being smaller.
room

Post by room »

Regarding the fact that it is editable or not : I don't really care as I do not play SP and MP requires to play vanilla.

For the production vs industry, it's just to make the choice less obvious but industry would still win easily in most cases. However you might not want anymore to sell the initial production chit of some countries as often.

Concerning paras, they imo facilitates and play a key roles in a lot of 'tricks', a role they should be helpful in but not be the key of. Plus most ahistorical one turn conquest should not be encouraged imo and it also deters to do diplo.

Return to “Strategic Command WWII: World at War”