amphibious movement

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

tonyscrase

amphibious movement

Post by tonyscrase »

Trying to understand Attrition to Amphibious assaults

1) I think that in the action phase they suffer normal Naval attrition as they move to their target hexes rule 16.5.2 I think this AV attrition

2) they receive Amphibious invasion attrition rule 16.7.1 which I think is aiav and occurs in the logistic phase just before the attack. But I am slightly confused because it states that the starting point for the calculation is the AV as in 1 above
do you use the same number as you have calculated in (1) above or do you recalculate and as 1) seems to be mostly based on movement what movement do you use for this calculation

3) for every logistics turn they are at sea or just offshore they suffer amphibious HQ at sea attrition rule 16.6.2.2

I don't know much of this I have got right !!!!!

THANK YOU
cfulbright

RE: amphibious movement

Post by cfulbright »

Tony,

One of the rules and formulas experts will have to answer your questions, but I will tell you something else: the tutorials suggest naval moving follow-on units to behind the invasion forces. My own experience over multiple games and tests is that the Losses screen shows Allied losses as much higher if you do this. On the other hand, if you naval load those follow-on units, but move them back into their originating port for that turn, you don't see those high losses.

My conclusion is that any Allied units in an open sea hex, and in particular sea hexes subject to Axis naval interdiction, will suffer losses, and it's a bad idea to do this.

Cary
Searry

Post by Searry »

You can reduce attrition with big naval interdiction numbers. I usually have very little problems.
-Flashpoint Campaigns Southern Storm Beta Tester
-Rule The Waves 3 Beta Tester
cfulbright

Post by cfulbright »

I find in the 1943 Grand Campaign, if I move all available follow-on divisions and corps HQ's to off the coast of Sicily, the Losses report will show ~75K Allied men lost. If I "naval load" them but put them in ports live Pantelleria, Valletta, Bizerte, and Bone, my Allied men lost will be ~35-40K.

Cary

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”