Truck Management

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

GPT55

Truck Management

Post by GPT55 »

Where can I find advice on truck management for the Soviet side? I never have enough trucks!
gpt
56ajax

RE: Truck Management

Post by 56ajax »

um remove bombers from airfields, keep as many units on railway lines as possible, don't create units that use lots of trucks, disband unwanted HQ units, don't attach non motorised units to motorised corps...you will still run out
Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne
Colbert

Post by Colbert »

Prioritise the escape of Soviet units with lots of vehicles in turn 1 and the early turns from encirclements. Evacuate vehicle factories to the East before they get overrun. As AFVs can replace vehicle use and get scrapped to vehicles, saving them too (by same means) will help your general vehicle situation.
AlexSF

Post by AlexSF »

ORIGINAL: 56ajax

um remove bombers from airfields, keep as many units on railway lines as possible, don't create units that use lots of trucks, disband unwanted HQ units, don't attach non motorised units to motorised corps...you will still run out

don't attach non motorised units to motorised corps

Why would it be a problem? They'd use more trucks then?
"My centre is yielding. My right is retreating. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Maréchal Foch, 1914.
VigaBrand

Post by VigaBrand »

Yes. A sapper regiment unse 3 trucks, if you attach it to a tank corps, it used over 100.
So, use your tank battlions for the tank corps und the rifle corps get the sapper, you will need the same amount of trucks.

AlexSF

Post by AlexSF »

I'd expect my sappers to ride my tanks like good old "tank desantniki" !!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tank_desant
"My centre is yielding. My right is retreating. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Maréchal Foch, 1914.
chaos45

Post by chaos45 »

keep in mind sapper regiments re-organize to battalions in late 1941 now...there is no point in building them anymore as you in effect spent extra AP on them for no benefit.

As well a sapper Battalion has almost no combat value, so you are much better off spending AP on better support units.
GPT55

Post by GPT55 »

Thanks for the advice guys. Some of the suggestions I had not thought of.
gpt
tomeck48

Post by tomeck48 »

But don't the sappers help build fortifications?
VigaBrand

Post by VigaBrand »

Yes, they do.
But a tank battallion with 50 exp has 0,7 CV and a sapper regiment had 0,2 I think.

You could decide between more cv (and maybe more firepower) or faster fortification.

HardLuckYetAgain

Post by HardLuckYetAgain »

Recently I don't even worry about getting fortifications up. Plus sappers now are a mere shell of what they used to be. Yes, it is nice and all but by the time I put the time sync into getting them done the Germans just blow through them quicker than I can make them. I rely more now on reserves and counter-attacking. You will see many areas in 42, when I catch up on my AAR, with level 0 or maybe a level 1 fort.
German Turn 1 opening moves. The post that keeps on giving https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=390004
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

Another way to economize on trucks is to put units into static mode. Costs a bunch of AP though, one per unit to put them in and another one to take them out. And if there's a breakthrough, the static guys are basically screwed. But if you have a sector that is truly going to be static for a long period of time, you can do static mode for the front-line guys and liberate thousands of trucks.
AlexSF

Post by AlexSF »

Yep, static mode is a great way to save on trucks. Especially in the North/Volkhov region where the front lines often stabilize very quicly. Put your units on static at the end of Summer during the mud and snow until next Spring. They can still move 1 hex/turn on static, most of the time it's enough.
Plus they built up forts quicker when on static.
56ajax

Post by 56ajax »

ORIGINAL: HardLuckYetAgain

Recently I don't even worry about getting fortifications up. Plus sappers now are a mere shell of what they used to be. Yes, it is nice and all but by the time I put the time sync into getting them done the Germans just blow through them quicker than I can make them. I rely more now on reserves and counter-attacking. You will see many areas in 42, when I catch up on my AAR, with level 0 or maybe a level 1 fort.

Totally agree, minimum fortification must be 3+ otherwise forget it.
Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne
AlexSF

Post by AlexSF »

minimum fort to set to static is 2 actually

Return to “The War Room”