World in Flames v02.07.01.00 update

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

SamuraiProgrmmr

RE: World in Flames v02.07.01.00 update

Post by SamuraiProgrmmr »

Joseignacio,

The quality of service (QOS) feature on a router usually lets you prioritize certain data for transmission on the network controlled by the router. For example, if you wanted to be make netflix less likely to buffer at the expense of speedy viewing of youtube videos, you could tinker with the QOS settings and make netflix have a higher priority than youtube. Some routers only have the ability to prioritize certain ip addresses within the network (like your WIF computer). See https://www.howtogeek.com/75660/the-beg ... ur-router/ for more details.

Unfortunately, this will likely not help the problem. The traffic sent to your network by your ISP is most likely where the problem lies. The settings on your router will not affect the incoming traffic from your ISP. See https://netequalizernews.com/2010/08/29 ... now-facts/ for more details.

It is possible that your ISP would prioritize your WIF traffic if you ask them nicely. Whether they are willing to or the tech involved knows how is another matter.

I have not tried WIF NetPlay and will be faced with some of the same issues as you if I do. I have satellite internet and we blow through our cap in about 3 days. I could spend more but my cap will only double. (Patiently waiting for the ViaSat2 to become operational :) )

Clogged internet traffic usually gets there unless it hits a timeout limit at which time it gives up. Perhaps (and I only say perhaps) there are timeout settings that can be changed by the user(s) and or by Steve that will help this problem without adversely affecting other parts of the NetPlay system. Steve might be able to address that.

I hope this is helpful and good luck with your NetPlay!

Bridge is the best wargame going .. Where else can you find a tournament every weekend?
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

ORIGINAL: SamuraiProgrmmr

Joseignacio,

The quality of service (QOS) feature on a router usually lets you prioritize certain data for transmission on the network controlled by the router. For example, if you wanted to be make netflix less likely to buffer at the expense of speedy viewing of youtube videos, you could tinker with the QOS settings and make netflix have a higher priority than youtube. Some routers only have the ability to prioritize certain ip addresses within the network (like your WIF computer). See https://www.howtogeek.com/75660/the-beg ... ur-router/ for more details.

Unfortunately, this will likely not help the problem. The traffic sent to your network by your ISP is most likely where the problem lies. The settings on your router will not affect the incoming traffic from your ISP. See https://netequalizernews.com/2010/08/29 ... now-facts/ for more details.

It is possible that your ISP would prioritize your WIF traffic if you ask them nicely. Whether they are willing to or the tech involved knows how is another matter.

I have not tried WIF NetPlay and will be faced with some of the same issues as you if I do. I have satellite internet and we blow through our cap in about 3 days. I could spend more but my cap will only double. (Patiently waiting for the ViaSat2 to become operational
:) )

Clogged internet traffic usually gets there unless it hits a timeout limit at which time it gives up. Perhaps (and I only say perhaps) there are timeout settings that can be changed by the user(s) and or by Steve that will help this problem without adversely affecting other parts of the NetPlay system. Steve might be able to address that.

I hope this is helpful and good luck with your NetPlay!

Ok, if I am understanding you right, you mean that I may be having problems because of the low priority of my MWIF traffic. I have an optic fiber with 300MB connection, so bandwidth is not the problem and I have flat-fee, so I don't have a cap.

So maybe you are meaning the priority of transmission from node to node of my ISP provider? Because no matter the priority, my bandwith is most of the time used about 1% at most 10%...

In this case, from node to node, we can go to #Fact 3 from your link:
Fact #3

Your public Internet provider will not treat ToS bits with any form of priority (The exception would be a contracted MPLS type network). Yes, they could, but if they did then everybody would game the system to get an advantage and they would not have much meaning anyway.

I had a similar experience years ago trying to change some security settings, it seems they had a system that made checks in every node for quality, it only took like 0.02 seconds or something like that. However a Call of Duty game played with people all around the world could easily go though sufficient nodes within this ISP (not counting others) that you were easily all the time almost 0.5 seconds lagged in excess of the usual player lag.

For those not playing it may mean few, but the result was that you were playing as slow as my grandpa and as dumb (you didn't see them and you keep walking towards their knives) as an ass.

I tried to change this speaking with my ISP ( I work at it although not in the technical area) asking less quality but not so many checks with another system they had as well, and it was mission impossible. I can understand why but that doesn't make me any happier or optimistic about this class of interactions.

And thanks, I realize you have made an effort to make it simple for an outsider (in networking).
SamuraiProgrmmr

Post by SamuraiProgrmmr »

Joseignacio,

Now that I know your statistics, I have to change some of my suggestions...

I stated that the problem was likely with your ISP. 300MB fiber should not be the problem. I missed out entirely on your original question about using your home wifi to play. I apologize.

Your home wifi is very likely to have enough bandwidth to support the entire 300MB pipeline from the ISP and unless someone is transferring LOTS of files from device to device within your network, QOS will not help you at all.

Now the problem begins to look like lost packets between your computer and the router. Later in this message, I will detail how to determine if that is happening. Assuming it is, being physically closer to the router should solve the problem. Or, as you suggested, running an ethernet cable to your computer will do even better. Another possibility is to add an access point to your network - more about that later.

And, by the way, you are most welcome for the help.

Steps to check connectivity between computer and router

Determine address of router

Open a command prompt by typing CMD in the windows 10 'type here to search' and selecting Command Prompt. On other operating systems, click start then click run and type it in there.

The command prompt will appear to be a mostly black window with something that looks like this :
C:\Users\username>

Type in the following command and hit enter
ipconfig

This will give you some information. You are looking for the line that says Default Gateway. This will be the ip address of your router. It will look like ###.###.###.###

Ping the router

Type in the following command

ping ###.###.###.###

where ###.###.###.### is the ip address of your router from the previous step.

Press enter

You will get lines that look like this:

Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

If you have time= anything other than 1ms or 2ms, something is weird. But we are most interested in packets lost.

I have added color for emphasis. Looking at the red section, if you have anything other than 0%, this is a problem. It means that the computer cannot reliably talk to the router. To fix, it will require either moving the router, moving your computer, setting up an access point, or using the ethernet cable.

If it says 0% lost, we need to do more testing. Enter the following command and press enter

ping ###.###.###.### -n 100

This will do one hundred pings and give us a better idea of whether there is really a problem. This will take a minute or so to complete. If %Lost is anything more than 2% or 3%, I would again think this is the problem. If it is still zero, we need to do more testing.

Test the internet connection

Enter the following command and press enter

ping 8.8.8.8 -n 50

This is Google's DNS server. The results here will tell us if there is, in fact, a problem with your internet connection. The results for time= will be a little larger but I expect them to be under 100ms (perhaps significantly under). If they are higher than that, something is a little weird. But, as before, we are most interested in lost packets. The lost= number should not be significantly different from the test between the computer and the router. If it is, then you are losing packets between your router and the isp.

Possible solutions

If you are having lost packets between your computer and the router, the first thing I would recommend is to power cycle the modem and the router. I know that sounds lame, but believe me, it works more often than is reasonable.

Pick a time when it is ok to interrupt the internet. Look at the lights on the modem and remember generally what they look like. Unplug the power cable to the modem. Wait 10 seconds (it might matter) and plug it back in. The lights on the modem will be different but will soon settle down into the same pattern as before. This may take as much as one or two minutes.

Once that happens, power cycle the router. Same drill as for the modem. When it wakes back up, run the tests again.

I am sending you some contact information via a pm if you need additional assistance.

Good Luck!

Bridge is the best wargame going .. Where else can you find a tournament every weekend?
juntoalmar

Post by juntoalmar »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

AFAIK MWiF Netplay uses UDP (which unlike TCP does not require acks and retrys for no-acks, unless implemented at a higher level) and problems with WIFI can cause lost game messages and a loss of sync.

I don't know how MWiF or Netplay work internally, but if every message sent by Netplay is needed, meaning that the next messages won't fix the state of the game, and there is no strong time related constraints on Netplay game, then perhaps (probably) TCP is a better option over UDP.
(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/
TrogusP96

Post by TrogusP96 »

Same here. my auto update now gets an error message. has been that way for awhile.
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

Just bought MWiF today and from the WiF initial install (v1.00), the ckeck for updates says that I have the latest version, in other words v1.00. I did a manual (members area) update for v2.07.01.00 and all went well. So it seems that the "auto-update" from launcher is not working.

Will install the latest v2.09.04 Beta manually aswell...

Red

EDIT:
Manual install of v2.09.04 Beta went well [:)] But again, the auto-updater did not work.

--
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Strange what the auto-update did, but it is designed to only get someone to the last public "official" release, whereas the public betas are announced here and then available through the members club, and then sometimes get hot-patched via a downloaded zipped EXE posted here.
Paul
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

Thanks Paul for your concern.

Yes I Imagen that the auto-updater only works with the official public releases, but in my case it didnt. Anyway, Iam up to date up to the latest public beta via manual installs.

Red
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

ORIGINAL: Red2112

Yes I Imagen that the auto-updater only works with the official public releases, but in my case it didnt. Anyway, Iam up to date up to the latest public beta via manual installs.

Red

I just logged an issue with Matrix that the updater in 1.0 does not work. Reinstalled myself today, and noticed it as well.
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

ORIGINAL: AxelNL

Red

I just logged an issue with Matrix that the updater in 1.0 does not work. Reinstalled myself today, and noticed it as well.

Matrix replies until now only with the known workaround of installing the next version manually. Will let know if that changes.
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

Red

Matrix replies until now only with the known workaround of installing the next version manually. Will let know if that changes.

Matrix replied today that this is planned probably with the "netplay is very stable" release, before half-map and/or new optionals are added.
juntoalmar

Post by juntoalmar »

Thanks for the updates
(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/

Return to “World in Flames”