Trooptype Question + recommendations

VR designs has been reinforced with designer Cameron Harris and the result is a revolutionary new operational war game 'Barbarossa' that plays like none other. It blends an advanced counter pushing engine with deep narrative, people management and in-depth semi-randomized decision systems.

Moderators: Vic, lancer

RickR

Trooptype Question + recommendations

Post by RickR »

I got about 70 hours on DC:B and really like it. In fact, it is, without a doubt the best hex based game since
Panzer General which was darn near perfect for its time.

I have been playing around with the editor and have a question that is driving me around the twist.
(BTW, very good video by Cameron concerning the basic usage of the editor)

Question: In the Trooptypes_German file, what exactly does the column SUPPLY/FUEL/STOCKPILE MOD represent?
Usage per day? Stockpile? Amount given per day? I played around with this, halved/doubled it but didn't
really see any changes...it's driving me nuts

Like I said, as a game, I think this one is definitely a winner so I hope you will continue with the series
and continue with updates and these are some things that I would like to see in future updates:

1. A button to blank out all icons/units so you can simple see the terrain and town names
(nothing annoys one more than trying to decide if I want to move my FSB to a town I cannot see/find due clutter)

2. A way to find a unit's Army/Pz Group HQ when it is hiding under other units, also very annoying. I know it's
outlined but, in truth, when it's under units the only way to find sometimes is to go through the OOB, very annoying
Panzer General has a system where it the HQ would pop to the top of stack...dunno if that is a fix or not.

3. A button to take back a unit move
(allowed only before going on to next unit unless you run into an unseen unit, so it's not a cheat)

4. The game timeline should be extended to achieve the entire war bringing in the newer equipment models when
available plus the politically changing environment.
(possibly done with a multitude of scenarios or...be cool if you could load/use original units with their experience)

5. Need a basic manual or on the editor which, BTW is pretty good, fun too.

6. I couple of better icons for units, like one for Motorized, would be a general improvement.

lancer

RE: Trooptype Question + recommendations

Post by lancer »

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the compliments.

If you press '0' it hides all the units, press '4' and it'll hide all the logistical icons.

HQ's are set to appear on top of a stack at the start of a turn but they do get lost in the shuffle after that.

Extending the games timeline would be good but the effort and time involved in doing so would be significant. The amount of research needed for the current timeline wasn't trival.

Vic might have to answer your question regarding the Trooptypes suppy etc. mod as I'm not sure myself. He has some documentation online about a lot of this stuff but I'm not sure of the link as the previous one was dead when I checked this evening. It's a busy time of the year so you might have to wait a while for a reply but I'm sure he'll provide an answer.

Taking back a move is also one for Vic as it's his engine and he has some strong views why it's not a good idea. If you searched the forum you might find previous posts on it as it's been requested previously. Basically a lot of stuff is triggered when you move a unit and it'd be easy to game the system by doing so, even with the limitation of not allowing it when you bump into an enemy unit.

Happy new year!

Cheers,
Cameron
RickR

Post by RickR »

Cameron,

Thanks for the quick reply! Okay, '0' and '4', silly me as I forgot to check if game had hotkeys for these things, simply looked to see if there was a interface button. Thank you.

"Taking back a move...he has some strong views why it's not a good idea...a lot of stuff is triggered when you move a unit"
Ah! Well, that's certainly a good point. I assumed that nothing would trigger until turn was finished - again - silly me. It's a pity though, because the potential for mistakes is huge, especially given the amount of units. Panzer General allows taking back a move and it works well so...anyway, if it can't be done it can't be done and we'll have to train ourselves and hope to avoid mistakes.

Yes, I would like to know what the "SUPPLY/FUEL/STOCKPILE MOD" truly means in the Trooptype file should Vic find time, no hurry.

"amount of research needed for the current timeline wasn't trivial."
Yes, I imagine it wasn't LOL! I've never seen such a huge Hex based map with so many historical units, boggles the mind. However, it does set up the potential to release scenarios based on the time line of the war. (Hint! Hint! LOL!)

It will be exciting to see what you guys come up with next for this. I had given up on hex games because nothing really lived up to Panzer General; however, like I said, this might actually be better!

Happy New Year to you, Vic and all the team! Best wishes for the coming year!

Rick

PS. I am convinced that the best you can do is a historical stalemate which, I admit, I strangely like about the game. It sort of gives one the frustrated feeling that the Germans must have felt that no matter how well you perform, no matter how many units you encircle and destroy, it's not enough, it's like trying to hold back the sea because there is always more, never had this feeling in a game before, it's very strange. Well done!

Templer_12

Post by Templer_12 »

Hi RickR,

welcome to the forum.
If you like the Decisive Campaigns series, you should definitely check out Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue, while still in the Christmas sale. [;)]
RickR

Post by RickR »

Thank you! I shall. In fact, looking at now...that's really a deal for $10.

Does it used the same editor as I like to tinker? LOL!
The start page certainly looks the same so...I'm sure the game is worth $9.59 so will probably pick it up today.

Wow! I just found out that Matrix/Slitherine are developing Panzer Corps2.
Panzer General got me addicted to wargaming and Panzer Corps enhanced that addiction.
I owned the entire series of both and truly liked the concept of advancing the timeframe with added scenarios.
I hope this is not just an eye-candy upgrade. I'm going to check it out now.

EDIT: Templer_12, So, I went ahead and purchased 'Case Blue'.
I think what sold me was the option to play a smaller in scope version (1st Panzer Group) but linked game
because, sometimes, playing the entire Eastern Front truly becomes tiring. I think they made a mistake
in DC:B by not allowing this. Thanks again!
RickR

Post by RickR »

Nah...I don't care too much for this 'DC: Case Blue' it feels like a totally different game from DC:B. Glad I got it
on sale so didn't risk/lose so much.

EDIT: To clarify, I think it is the editor that I really don't care for as I like to tinker, in fact, it baffles me.
I finally got some time to look around the forum and see if there is a different editor that can be used.

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa”