Which hexagons do you prefer? and why?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

nukkxx5058

RE: Which hexagons do you prefer? and why?

Post by nukkxx5058 »

ORIGINAL: ncc1701e

Almost all conflicts in history were on the East-West axis. I find difficult to find an example of the contrary.

Well, pockets do exist ! ;-)
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) :-)
TheGrayMouser

Post by TheGrayMouser »

ORIGINAL: Trugrit

With computer technology why do you need hex format?

Because Lord Bzzt, God of all Bees (and other assorted avian, stinging, hive minded beasts)wills it so?!

Hmm, I wonder why too. I guess programming , especially AI is the issue. There are NO wargames I know of that are turn based that dont use : area movement, hexes or some other sort of grid type
The closest thing I know of is DBA online ( table top conversion ancients and medieval tactical) but there is no AI. It would be a nice change to have a turn based game where a units actual foot print ie depth, width and density is presented on a map. Something like the presentation of Kriegspiel
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

ORIGINAL: Trugrit

A very interesting discussion. Discussion of game design which is important for us all.
The problems with hexes has been covered before in war games forums:

http://general-staff.com/the-problem-wi ... /#comments
The drunken hexagon walk:

Range Problem With Hexes:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/737175 ... er-wargame
Range distortion:

This is a review of a game called Airland Battle.
It uses control sectors instead of hexes.
It takes full advantage of modern computer technology. Check out the zoom features:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXgbNc8XQp8

Airlandbattle is an older modern era war game but there is no reason that this type of computer technology can’t be applied to any era war game.
Turn based, WEGO or other format.

Great post, thanks!
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

ORIGINAL: nukkxx

Almost all conflicts in history were on the East-West axis. I find difficult to find an example of the contrary.

Well, pockets do exist ! ;-)
Right! [:D]
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

ORIGINAL: TheGrayMouser

ORIGINAL: Orm

I prefer the second one, with a straight hex side to East and West.

Although that might be because I often fight games were the majority of the action is in the East-West axis. Like most of the campaigns in WWII Europe, or Northern Africa.

Well, except for all conflicts in North America, Korea, Japan , italy, Russia v the balkans , Russia v the khanates, EcW, China versus mongals, Ming versus south China, boar war etc .

Even in classic WW2 East front operations., every single time a salient is formed, fighting reorients on a north south axis to pinch it off.

It’s really about aesthetics, although movement has to zig zag to go pure east in the top sample, which I think looks nicer. For me, the bottom one looks “ stretched”, even though I know it’s not.
Indeed, I was sure an expert would correct me... [:)]
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Funny, searching about geographical distortion, I have found this site:
https://thetruesize.com/

Try it.

Return to “General Discussion”