Naval and Defense News

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

KLAB

RE: Naval and Defense News

Post by KLAB »

ORIGINAL: kevinkin

Never heard about these:

https://defence-blog.com/news/ukraine-r ... rvice.html

https://rg.ru/sila/.
https://rg.ru/2018/12/23/otpraviat-na-m ... raine.html
According to the Russian version amongst the stuff about mine rollers, there's a mention that the helicopters haven't got working EW systems.
Not that the Ukrainians would openly publicise it either way.
Dysta

Post by Dysta »

Few days left before 2019, and Elon just said something made lots of Americans distrust China even further, even his point is valid:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1076905111597662208

Why? Perhaps you should ask what Navarro want from China:

https://asia.nikkei.com/Economy/Trade-W ... re-Navarro
Triode

Post by Triode »

14 GIAP finally was receive all Su-30SM instead of Mig-29SMT, it is last "normal" regiment with Mig-29SMT

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/3471418.html in russian

Now russian Mig-29S/UB/SMT : ~70 in storage of 116 TsBP , ~20 on AB Erebuni in Armenia, some in TsPAT and Lipetsk and zero in combat air regiments

Mig-29 slowly dying in Russian Air Force, regiments with Mig-29 changed them to Su-30SM

I think Air Force will crush all this big plans about Mig-35 procurements
Hongjian

Post by Hongjian »

https://twitter.com/HenriKenhmann/statu ... 6636376064

Wu Jian Qi, chief engineer of the CETC group (makers of China's quantum radar among others), says that a metric-wave radar detected and traced the route of an F-22 at a distance of 450 km in 2013.

Today these metric radars cover all coastal areas and China. The ppt shows that those radars might have been YLC-8Bs, which look similiar to the Russian Nebo-series of VHF-radars.

Dysta

Post by Dysta »

ORIGINAL: Hongjian

Today these metric radars cover all coastal areas and China. The ppt shows that those radars might have been YLC-8Bs, which look similiar to the Russian Nebo-series of VHF-radars.

A clear image between YLC-8B and JY-26:

Funny, there are some CMANO scenarios I played before, that China uses more JY-26 than YLC-8 radars when countering F-22 and F-35.

JY-26 is just unreasonably expensive and difficult to mobilize by the looks of it, so I already have doubt that PLA are generous to pay for them.
kch

Post by kch »

Dont the F35s and F22s fly around with radar reflectors during deployment? I thought that for flight safety reasons and to hide their capabilities then they always used these.
Dysta

Post by Dysta »

ORIGINAL: kch

Dont the F35s and F22s fly around with radar reflectors during deployment? I thought that for flight safety reasons and to hide their capabilities then they always used these.
I think the more interesting question is how China know these contacts are F-22, given by the OTH distance and no real-time imaging satellites in 2013. Even the lens are installed, that is still not easy to determine the signature with meter-wavelength resolutions.
Broncepulido

Post by Broncepulido »

ORIGINAL: Dysta

ORIGINAL: kch

I think the more interesting question is how China know these contacts are F-22, given by the OTH distance and no real-time imaging satellites in 2013. Even the lens are installed, that is still not easy to determine the signature with meter-wavelength resolutions.
Perhaps simply because "possible" F-22 contacts were not detected simultaneously by other operative and in range radar systems.
Hongjian

Post by Hongjian »

Looks like the H-6 bombers now got a big FAE bomb as well. I wonder what weight class it is...

Hongjian

Post by Hongjian »

Z-8L official model unveiled.
Some weeks before, we have spotted a strange new variant of the Z-8 with widened fuselage.

Dysta

Post by Dysta »

Z-8L official model unveiled.
Some weeks before, we have spotted a strange new variant of the Z-8 with widened fuselage.
Looks like it is no longer have a boat shape from other Super-Frelon deviratives. Does it mean it will only dedicated for land-use only?
Hongjian

Post by Hongjian »

Yes, this is basically the idea. Even though I still think that it will be used in naval applications - just without that boat capability that made the original Z-8 so fitting for the job of SAR.

Kind of like the evolution of the Sikorsky S61 (SH3), which gradually lost its boat-shaped fuselage and eventually became the CH53.
This variant should turn the Super-Frelon into a EH101 sized helicopter.
Hongjian

Post by Hongjian »

"Chinese MOAB"

http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1134436.shtml

Too bad they also have no accurate information about its weight and dimensions. Only that the H-6K can carry one inside its bomb-bay

Broncepulido

Post by Broncepulido »

The old bigger size bomb for Soviet Tu-16 was 9000 Kg.
Hongjian

Post by Hongjian »

ORIGINAL: Broncepulido

Interesting. So, it seems that the MOAB and the FAB-9000 arent so different in terms of weight.
This Chinese bomb here is suppossedly a FAE bomb. I do wonder if it could attain the level of effect of the MOAB with that weight. In any case, I can imagine China needing such a device for the Taiwanese tunnels etc.

Hongjian

Post by Hongjian »

Somewhat a week-old news now; the "Yangtze River Monster", the Haiyangshan LST Railgun testbed, has been spotted again. This time moving out to the West Pacific from Shanghai.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/04/asia ... index.html

CNN quotes an expert who believe that the weapon might be one or two years away from service at this point, since these seem to be operational tests already.
Dysta

Post by Dysta »

ORIGINAL: Broncepulido

Interesting. So, it seems that the MOAB and the FAB-9000 arent so different in terms of weight.
This Chinese bomb here is suppossedly a FAE bomb. I do wonder if it could attain the level of effect of the MOAB with that weight. In any case, I can imagine China needing such a device for the Taiwanese tunnels etc.
So how do we name that ordinance? It looks different from both MOAB and FOAB, so labeling it a copy couldn't do.

My idea is BOAB -- Brother of All Bombs. Since it's 'east-bloc'-ish while it's not as superior as FOAB by size, it's still deadlier than TNT-only bomb like FAB-9000. They are more like Father and Son kind of difference.

EDIT: found the Chinese news about it, they refer that new bomb as an anti-underground ordinance because it is a ground-zero weapon. The 9-ton of explosion will causing an earthquake like the British Grandslam bomb. Heck, the shape itself looks very similiar too:

https://mil.sina.cn/sd/2019-01-03/detai ... 980.d.html (Simplified Chinese, basically saying it's not MOAB nor FOAB)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Slam_(bomb)

In that case, I will call it a Grandslam-copy, only 1-ton short compare to the precedessor in WW2.
Hongjian

Post by Hongjian »

It is kind of interesting that this unveil coincides with Xi Jinping's speech about Taiwan, tho. Even though the speech was less aggressive than previously anticipated (no "timeline for unification" and no ultimatum), and with the offering of the one-country-two-systems solution, a Chinese anti-tunnel bomb does seem to be an answer designed for those in Taiwan and the US who have previously written so much about Taiwan being "a nightmare to occupy" because of the mountains and fortified cities, alongside "a motivated population that will conduct guerrilla warfare against the PLA".
A MOAB-like weapon is in any case a huge morale breaker - not just due to its power, but also its gruesome effects on "soft targets". Russia has shown in Syria how devastating Thermobaric weapons can be and China might have taken notice here.
Dysta

Post by Dysta »

A MOAB-like weapon is in any case a huge morale breaker - not just due to its power, but also its gruesome effects on "soft targets". Russia has shown in Syria how devastating Thermobaric weapons can be and China might have taken notice here.
If the whole strategy is just to bludgeoning Taiwan into submission, it will be quickly get into Syrian situation, albeit with potentially massive and indirect casualties from electrical failures, wartime unrests and cannibalisms. Even China don't firebombing Taipei like what US did to Tokyo, that is still guaranteed a global outcry by how mass social medias focusing "PLA massacares".

Yet, war is war, the weapon users has their final say.
Hongjian

Post by Hongjian »

China will likely not care, since having Taiwan is worth any price. A PLAN Pacific Fleet and direct access to the WestPac, as well as secured submarine based second strike capability will be its reward. And an added bonus of being able to cut off Japan from its SLOC whenever China wishes so. The alternative would be US nuclear missiles in Taiwan aimed at China's coastal cities and being boxed inside the 1st island chain over short or long, if Taiwanese independence is left alive.

The US would also pay any price (and let others pay any price) if in the same position. See Cuba Missile Crisis and the Monroe Doctrine.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”