Participants wanted for a teaching game

For non-server PBEM games, post here to look for an opponent.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

thedoctorking

Participants wanted for a teaching game

Post by thedoctorking »

I'd like to invite participants for a multi-player game that is intended to introduce new or intermediate level players to some of the more complex and poorly documented, but crucial elements of this game. The game is also intended to produce a detailed AAR that will be a resource for the community and help introduce a wider audience to our shared passion. I'm open to anybody joining the game, though as the rules state, the role of Chief of Staff is intended for more experienced players and the field commander jobs are for relative newbies.

I'm taking a break from active play through the winter holidays, but expect to get the game up by mid-January.

Here's a set of proposed game rules: I'm open to suggestions about any of these.

Proposed rules for a multi-player learning game of War in the East

Purpose of the game:

First of all, the purpose is to have fun playing a game we all enjoy. One thing about this game is that it rewards understanding the poorly documented, but crucial, things that make units and positions strong. Another goal, then, is to have a game where new or relatively inexperienced players can learn these skills from more experienced players. Finally, we want to pass on what we have learned to the rest of the gaming community through an AAR that we will write cooperatively and post on the Matrix/Slytherine forums for all to see.

Roles:

This game is intended to be played by two teams each consisting of one experienced player as Chief of Staff and two to four players at the beginner to intermediate level.

The Chief of Staff is responsible for allocating resources – AP, reinforcements, air units, support units - among the players on his team. He can move units behind the lines but no closer than ten hexes from the front. He can conduct recon and air supply air missions but no combat missions. His principal function is to advise his team members on strategies and tactics.

Another team role is the Team Manager. The Chief of Staff can also be Manager or the role can be assigned to one of the other players. The Manager makes sure players take their goes in a timely fashion. The Manager coordinates with the other team’s Manager to ensure handover of game files and any other coordination needed between the teams. The Manager is principally responsible for communicating with the other team and the outside world, though other team members may post on forums or in Discord if they wish, of course. The Manager can also coordinate the AAR, though optionally this duty can be assigned to another player if desired.

The front line commanders are responsible for all moves and attacks. They could have regional or functional responsibilities (air or armored force commander, for example). Each team must have at least two front line commanders, but more are possible.
Teams are responsible for their own composition, but recruitment of new players must be reported to the other side. As a matter of courtesy, if teams are considering recruiting a new member, their Team Manager should consult the other team to ensure there will be no objection to a particular person’s participation in advance of making an offer to that prospective team member.

Players will collectively choose a Mediator who will not be eligible to play in the game. The Mediator will have the passwords for both sides and will arbitrate any disputes that may arise. The Mediator’s decision is final. The Mediator may also prepare a neutral party AAR. At game end, the Mediator will provide each team’s password to the other team.

Communication:

As stated in the duties of the Team Manager, he is responsible for all official communication between his team and the other team and the larger community, unless the role of AAR author is delegated to another member of the team. Players other than the manager are encouraged to join and participate in a common Discord channel, but such participation is not mandatory.
Communication within each team is the responsibility of the Team Manager, and he can require any communication system within his team that he feels best suited to achieve the goal of team coordination and timely play.

Producing a good AAR is a key goal of this game. Each side will designate an individual responsible for producing their AAR, either the Team Manager or some other player. Normally, that person will consult with his teammates during the turn and will naturally be aware of their planning, but he should solicit contributions for the AAR immediately after turning over the turn to the other team and the AAR should be drafted before the next turn comes back. AAR’s will be posted to a common forum four turns after the turn to which they refer, i.e., the turn 1 German AAR will be posted after they receive their turn 5 from the Soviets. AAR's should contain a reasonably detailed summary of the team's perceptions of its adversary's capabilities and intentions, and of their own capabilities and intentions for the turn, followed by a summary of how their plan worked out. Combat summaries for important battles, loss and numbers deployed statistics, and other critical details showing the impact of team moves are important pieces of information that should be included in any AAR.

Timeliness:

Our goal is to complete one turn a week. This speed of play is not always going to be possible due to the constraints of real life. However, when a turn is forwarded to one side, if that team’s Manager realizes that his team will not be able to complete their turn within four days, he should inform the other team and give an estimate of how long he thinks the turn will take. The other team’s Manager has the right to ask that team to reassign duties temporarily to players who can take their go in a timely fashion.

Duration of game:

Our goal is to play through until Berlin falls! Or Baku and the Volga cities. That is, this game is only going to end when one side is defeated. However, no individual player is obliged to continue for all this time. If you can commit to only a few turns, you are welcome in the game, though you should be up front with your team manager and teammates about what you can do.
Game Options:
- Campaign 1941-45
- +1 Soviet attack bonus
- Full Blizzard
- Random weather
- German Logistic level 120
- Better CV math, Art 1, Sup 1
- House rule: No German units may be transferred to another HQ on turns 1 or 2, nor may any units of AGC or AGN operate south of hexrow 70 (the southern edge of the Pripyat Marshes) before turn 3
thedoctorking

RE: Participants wanted for a teaching game

Post by thedoctorking »

I'm open to discussion on the options here. If players think the Axis needs more advantage to make up for the house rule, we could drop the +1 Soviet attack advantage.
Fetterkrolle

Post by Fetterkrolle »

Hi, I would like to play as a land commander. I consider myself a beginner, as I have only played one game vs AI and one game vs Human. Both of these were as the Axis, so if at all possible I would like to play on the Soviet side to learn more about it. But any side is fine by me

I hope I fit the profile and can join the game!
DETURK

Post by DETURK »

I would like to play as Axis Land Commander. I am a Beginner, just playing my first PBEM game atm.
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

Great, welcome to both of you!
tonyhnz

Post by tonyhnz »

I would like to play. I have played 3 times against the AI as soviet but only to early 1942. I would prefer to play as soviet side commander.
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

Welcome!
mrhuggles

Post by mrhuggles »

Hi again guys, I'd be interested as an Axis front commander, in terms of the game options, what ever makes the more balanced game. [:)]
ICalli

Post by ICalli »

Im in. Game for either side but would prefer Soviet as I preferred to run from bullies when I was young.

I have 2 games under my belt. Both didn't last past 1941. Looking to go the distance. Consider myself advanced beginner (need experience with air, SU, and getting along with others)
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" Abraham Lincoln
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

Welcome to the game! I thought I'd give you an idea of where we are right now with recruitment and ask currently enrolled players (and any new joiners) what they think about some possibilities that have come up.

Looks like right now we've got:

Soviet field commanders: Fetterkrolle
tonyhnz
ICalli

Axis: DeTurk
Mrhuggles

We could have one more Soviet field commander and as many as two more Axis. We need experienced CoS's for each side. I had hoped to play as a field commander since I consider my experience level as intermediate, but I'll take on the job of CoS if necessary.

I have been talking with a couple of experienced players who are willing to help in some ways. Sparkleytits is interested in playing an impartial advice role. That is, he won't be the Chief of Staff for either side but will instead offer his suggestions to both sides. I originally proposed that he serve as Mediator, that is, as the game rules describe it, a sort of referee who would hold both sides' passwords, possibly write a neutral AAR, and arbitrate any disputes that arise. I'm open to him performing both roles, but I thought I'd check with you guys. He thinks he can maintain his impartiality and not use any privileged information he has from one side in helping the other; does that sound OK with you guys? If so, I will put him down as Mediator and neutral advisor/kibbitzer.

Ewaldvonkleist declined to serve as Axis CoS but is willing to give the Axis his detailed plan for the first couple of turns. This might involve stepping back from the house rule about no super-Lvov and no transfers of troops from HQ to HQ (and the counterbalancing Axis logistical buff). I'll ask him about this possibility. The first couple of turns for the Axis are critical. If you leave a lot of those front-line units alive, the Soviets get strong very quickly.

Marauder is interested in joining as a field commander. He is a pretty experienced player - he is the Soviet leader in 10MP. A side with him on it as a field commander might not need a CoS as long as he is willing to teach his fellow players (and he is a good teacher in my experience). But the player he was up against would have a tough job.
grant1

Post by grant1 »

Would be up to play Soviet,played a few games now,but always getting thrashed on either side so obviously not doing things right yet!!
MarauderPL

Post by MarauderPL »

I am up for the Soviet side :)
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

Currently we have:

Soviets: Fetterkrolle
Tonyhnz
Icalli
Grant1
Marauder

Axis: DeTurk
Mrhuggles
Sparkleytits
486sx.processor (doesn't have a forum name, that's his email)
Hobotango (expressed a preference for Axis central front)

Mediator and neutral AAR author: Me

Sparkley and Marauder want to play as front commanders, but are willing to act as advisors to the new players on their teams.

So I propose the following rules change: instead of the language about CoS, we will say "The team Advisor role is to be taken by an experienced player. The Advisor can be a front or functional commander and also is an advisor to the other players on his team. Teams should collectively decide on resource allocation, strategic direction, areas of operation for their forces, etc., with the advisor presenting his ideas and discussing the allocation with the other members of his team. If the Advisors are to play the role of front commanders, they should be matched against one another."

If you agree, please send me a PM with your email and I will invite you to a common Discord channel.

We should start by getting the teams together and assigning theaters/functional roles. I'd love to see somebody try the armored force commander thing, btw, no pressure [;)] Each team needs to designate a team manager. The team manager need not be the experienced player (in fact, I think both Marauder and Sparkley were unexcited by the prospect of the additional administrative work [:D] The Team Manager should be ready to do an AAR. I'd like to focus on team plans, perceptions of the other sides' intentions, and mechanics. If this is written from the perspective of a new player, I think it would be good for helping people learn the game.

thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

Other people who want to join the game will probably have to go on the wait list unless one of the teams thinks they can fit a sixth player in without unduly slowing play.
grant1

Post by grant1 »

Hi my email is grantp@live.co.uk or grant1!!,
barforth

Post by barforth »

Hi! I'm a new player, have only played several matches against AI. Wondering if there is still possible room in this game or on the waiting list? Would love to learn from some experienced players!
piotrmx

Post by piotrmx »

Hi i can join the game.
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

Hi, piotrmx and barforth, I have put you on the wait list as both teams are now full. Multi player games see regular turnover of players, so I expect that you will be invited to join at some point, probably fairly soon. In the mean time, I will be posting AAR's on a regular basis (starting when they have completed turn 5, for turn 1). Hope we will see you soon!
piotrmx

Post by piotrmx »

ok i'm waiting.
DaBoost

Post by DaBoost »

I’d like to sign up as a beginner. Both sides are fine.

Return to “Opponents Wanted”