The Italian Campaign

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

goodwoodrw

The Italian Campaign

Post by goodwoodrw »

Is it necessary to invade Corsica and Sardinia in this campaign. And what happened historically?
Formerly Goodwood

IslandInland

RE: The Italian Campaign

Post by IslandInland »

It is not necessary but if you want to invade near Rome or anywhere in the northern half of Italy then those islands are useful as unsinkable aircraft carriers.
War In The East 2 & Steel Inferno Expansion Beta Tester
War In The West Operation Torch Beta Tester
Strategic Command American Civil War Beta Tester
XXXCorps
1941 Hitler's Dream Scenario for WITE 2
MrBlizzard

Post by MrBlizzard »

After the surrender of Italy, italian units in Corsica and Sardinia switch to Allies. So often you can get corsica and sardinia for free. If the german troops in the 2 islands move back to Italy, Allies don't have to do anything.
Blizzard
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

My way of thinking is why waste troops. Take the west coast of Italy would pretty much isolate the 2 islands. As far as using them as air platforms you could pretty much use Sicily at a lesser man power and equipment cost, and not much distance in air miles and you would have full control in a few weeks.
Formerly Goodwood

cfulbright

Post by cfulbright »

If you want to invade the South of France, you need the air bases in Corsica.

Cary
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

As a German player I quite often send all those divisions that are withdrawing soon to Sardinia and Corsica. (3 infantry divisions and a couple panzers) I break them up into regiments and 'sit' on the Italians so that they don't flip over to the allied side. The Germans also count (double? Quadruple?) in garrison points...and since they withdraw, you don't have to worry about shipping them back.

As an allied player I have only a limited use for Sardinia/Corsica. If I plan to invade Southern France, then I need Corsica with built up airfields by summer '44. As for Sardinia...I don't mind it, but have never really used it as I have more then enough airfields in Italy. But then I usually invade my way up the coast of the Adriatic and cut across the mountains. Usually as single invasion/paradrop later is enough if the axis decide to disarm the italians on the islands.
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
Searry

Post by Searry »

What I do as German player is send a few troops there(bad infantry) to make sure the Italians don't flip when the Fascists surrender. Then try to hold on as long as possible against any allied attacks.
As the allies, I always try to take these islands as soon as possible since they are very good for the air forces, the bases are very close to many important areas.
-Flashpoint Campaigns Southern Storm Beta Tester
-Rule The Waves 3 Beta Tester

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”