Barbarossa Turn 1 AAR

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Twisted1

Barbarossa Turn 1 AAR

Post by Twisted1 »

OK, been playing this game for a while (since WiF 1 on table top) and have not done a AAR for MWiF, so it goes.

I am the Russians and Jeremy is the Axis. Any questions on the optional rules we use let me know.

We have been playing head to head for a while, using only the first two scenarios.

I find that this scenario is a bit pro-Russian but it is still fun to play.

In this game, the Axis has had a bad time with the weather, with a roll of 1 on the second impulse causing the front to stall.

Axis only get 3 to 4 impulses before the turn ends. He has only gotten 1 Hex into Russian and only in the north.

But, my northern flank is completely decimated, with very little relief coming. The southern flank is doing well.

I give him credit, even though he had bad weather on impulse 2, he used the impulse to try and kill as many Russian units as he can, with some success.

He also had a good impulse one with ground strikes in the north, causing most of my units to freeze in place.

Attachments
SouthernFront.jpg
SouthernFront.jpg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 245 times
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died.
Adlai E. Stevenson
Twisted1

RE: Barbarossa Turn 1 AAR

Post by Twisted1 »

Northern Front

Attachments
NorthernFront.jpg
NorthernFront.jpg (1.26 MiB) Viewed 245 times
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died.
Adlai E. Stevenson
Twisted1

Post by Twisted1 »

Artic Front

Attachments
ArticFront.jpg
ArticFront.jpg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 245 times
Adlai E. Stevenson
peskpesk

Post by peskpesk »

Hmm, whats the plan USSR TRS in the North?
"'Malta - The Thorn in Rommel's Side"
Twisted1

Post by Twisted1 »

[quote]Hmm, whats the plan USSR TRS in the North?

Muuuhaaaa, we shall see!!!!!

Adlai E. Stevenson
Twisted1

Post by Twisted1 »

OK, I want to apologize for the very short AAR. While in the middle of it, I was called away for an issue I had to deal with.

I will post the pre-game setup pics and a more complete AAR shortly.

Adlai E. Stevenson
Twisted1

Post by Twisted1 »

Southern Front Set-up

Attachments
SouthernFrontS.jpg
SouthernFrontS.jpg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 245 times
Adlai E. Stevenson
Twisted1

Post by Twisted1 »

Northern Front Set up

Attachments
NorthernFrontS.jpg
NorthernFrontS.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 245 times
Adlai E. Stevenson
Twisted1

Post by Twisted1 »

Arctic Front Set up

Attachments
ArcticS.jpg
ArcticS.jpg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 245 times
Adlai E. Stevenson
Twisted1

Post by Twisted1 »

OK, Sorry for the delay, but now that the holidays are over, I can get back into the game.

Turn one:

Most, if not all, of the Axis ground strikes in the north are successful, while the ones in the south are mostly, if not all, unsuccessful.

Lots of Russian units are killed on the northern front, while the Southern front, not much is happening.

On the Russian impulse (land) a lot of moving around is done to fill the holes on the northern front. Southern front has a very solid line.

On the Axis second impulse, the weather turn crappy, snow (in June??) and storms. (yeah!)

Axis is able to put more hole in the line on the northern front but cannot exploit due to the weather.

Nothing much is happening in the south.

Russia takes a combined, and sorties the Baltic fleet but find nothing. Very little movement. south is strong, but the north, pretty much everyone is flipped.

The third Axis impulse gives good weather and the Germans are on a rampage, killing pretty much everything except for a few multi stack groups in the north. Russian ships lend defensive shore bombardment to a Gar and take a strong German Armor Corp with it to the grave while attacking Riga

Axis do one attack in the south without success.

Russia takes another combined and sorties the Black Sea Fleet. A naval battle happens in the Baltic with one German old BB is damaged and another is aborted, with a Russian CA is aborted.

No naval battles in the Black Sea.

No Russian land movement anywhere.

The turn ends (Thank God!)

Russia gets one (1!) Partisan (0-1) an is placed in the only hex available (next to Pelsamo).

As you can see from the pics above, Russian's Northern Front is in deep dodo. Three strong Cauldrons are formed but flipped and could not get away.

If Germany goes first, they are most likely to be surrounded and destroyed but will hopefully take some Germans with them.

The South is looking good and should be able to hold out for a while. All reinforcements will be going North.

Builds on both side are pretty standard.

Russian
Adlai E. Stevenson
Twisted1

Post by Twisted1 »

Turn 2:

Axis win the initiative roll, and the Russians as for a reroll and lose that too.

Germans encircle the two Russian hexes (2 hexes SE of Riga and the adjacent hex) that holds 5 Russian units, (HQ-I, a MECH army, a MECH div, INF div, and INF Army).

Germans also move around the other cauldron that has a 7-6 MECH and a 7-3 INF.

German 7-5 MOT runs north and grabs Tallinn, and liberates Estonia.

One Finish SKI div runs back to Pelsamo (realizing that I was trying to do an invasion soon) and the other runs south and cuts the Murmansk rail line. Both are still OOS and now flipped.

Axis attack the first cauldron and kill the INF army and div and cause the HQ-I to retreat to the MECH hex without loss to Axis.

Axis attack the MECH and INF ground and lose one German ARM Div and the Russians lose the 7-3 INF. Half the attackers are flipped and no advancement.

Axis do two attacks in the south. First attack kills a Russian Army but takes one Hungarian army. Russian units retreat.

Axis attach across the river and kill a Russian unit with a loss of a Romanian unit. Hex become vacated and the Axis move into for a foothold across the river. Again, half the units are flipped.

Russian takes a Land and move reinforcements into the Northern Front, building a solid, but weak line.

The 0-1 PART moves towards Murmansk.

Russian 7-6 MECH that was attacked earlier but survived retreats to ESE of Minsk, giving up that city to the Axis.

In the South, Russians move back one hex to reform the line and counterattack the hex the Axis have across the river successfully., losing one INF Div but killing one CORP. All Russians are flipped.

Axis impulse 2 sees the last stand of the HQ-I, MECH Div, and MECH Army. Axis attack with a +27 (A little over kill?) and everyone dies with no Axis loses.

Axis attach one hex again in the south (not across the river) and one unit on both side dies (both MECH CORP each) but the hex is taken.

Supply starts to become an issue in the north for the Axis, as units are starting to outrun their HQs and controlled cities.

Russian takes a combined and more naval combat ensues in the Baltic. One Russian BB and CA are aborted with not loss to he Axis. All Russian surface fleets abort to Leningrad.

Axis again move units into place in the north but no attacks, most of the units on the front lines are OOS but not flipped.

Nothing happening in the south.

Russians take another combined and sail their SUB from Leningrad into the Baltic but does not find anything.

More Russian units move in the northern front to try and make a solid line again.

Turn ends on a roll of 2.

I forgot to mention that I have railed 2 factories east, getting them out of the way of the German hords.

No PART gained. Builds are the standard.

Below are the pics at the end of Turn Two.

Adlai E. Stevenson
Twisted1

Post by Twisted1 »

Northern Front End of Turn 2

Attachments
NorthernFront2.jpg
NorthernFront2.jpg (1.66 MiB) Viewed 248 times
Adlai E. Stevenson
Twisted1

Post by Twisted1 »

Southern Front End of Turn 2

Attachments
SouthernFront2.jpg
SouthernFront2.jpg (1.58 MiB) Viewed 247 times
Adlai E. Stevenson
Twisted1

Post by Twisted1 »

Arctic Front End of Turn 2

Attachments
ArcticFront2.jpg
ArcticFront2.jpg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 247 times
Adlai E. Stevenson

Return to “After Action Report”