Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Alfred

RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice)

Post by Alfred »

I see you adhere to the school of thought that bis dat qui cito dat.

Next time inform your opponent your status is adsum.

Alfred
modrow

Post by modrow »

Maybe Fabertong is a short variant of Quintus Fabius Maximus Verrucosus ?

Just an idea [8D]

Hartwig
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Alfred

bis dat qui cito dat

Translation: "He gives twice who gives quickly."

Are you saying I acted hastily in my decisions about how to employ Lex and Enterpise that turn or the next one?

I certainly took chances with them and put them in harm's way, but the decisions weren't made hastily. Due mostly to the PBY squadrons at Wake, Midway, French Frigate, etc., I had alot of good information, so could make informed (if risky and possibly unwise decisions, as events to come may prove).

Nocte clam ingredi non in bonum

Do not go quietly into that good night.

"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
modrow

Post by modrow »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel
ORIGINAL: Alfred

Alfred

bis dat qui cito dat

Translation: "He gives twice who gives quickly."

Are you saying I acted hastily in my decisions about how to employ Lex and Enterpise that turn or the next one?

I certainly took chances with them and put them in harm's way, but the decisions weren't made hastily. Due mostly to the PBY squadrons at Wake, Midway, French Frigate, etc., I had alot of good information, so could make informed (if risky and possibly unwise decisions, as events to come may prove).

Nocte clam ingredi non in bonum

Do not go quietly into that good night.

As far as I know, that Latin phrase is implying praise, not negativev criticism of giving quickly.

Hartwig
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Ah, I see. THanks, Hartwig.

I sure can botch up understanding my native tongue. Add in Latin and it becomes Wal-Mart on ice.

[:)]
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Kidō Butai

Quo Vadis?

Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Dave sent an email this morning. It seems he didn't receive the email I sent Wednesday morning. I re-sent it and he ran the 001 within a half hour, sending it and the combat report. He hasn't sent the next turn file yet, which I need to see to fully understand the situation. Here's a summary:

1. No interactions between any enemy forces and Lexington or Enterprise.
2. KB moved south, to just about Lex's last position, and rendezvoused there with his AO fleet.
3. To the best of my knowledge, enemy patrols didn't pick up Lexington (if she moved 8 to 10 hexes, as ordered, she may be about 10 or 11 hexes SSW of KB).
4. Enemy patrols did pick up CA Indianapolis, near Lex's position.
5. I believe Dave will conclude "that (Indianapolis) is as likely a position as any other" for Lex.
6. If he sends KB at flank speed (having refueled) he'll likely pick up and pick off Lex.
7. That may be determined by whether KB made the mid-ocean rendezvous with the AOs this turn and refueled, or whether they still need to refuel at the start of next turn.

Darned tense situation. Danged box canyon Lex found herself in (thanks to me and an enemy sub). A lot of fun.
tarkalak

Post by tarkalak »

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

For your "81" experience pilots, if you have the dedicated training squadrons then put them in there. Otherwise, put ONE such pilot in a squadron that is training pilots and the trainees will improve a lot faster. If you have the extra airframe squadrons that you can buy out for PPs, pilots train there a lot faster as well but they may have only a high 30 exp but a 70 skill. With an experienced pilot there, they will also gain experience faster.

More than one. Every pilot that has:
1. below 50 XP
2. Below average XP for the unit

has an additional help in training.

So ideally you want to put 3-4 high XP pilots that will draw the average XP above the XP of the trainees. Then the average XP and the rookies' XP go up together.

There is a file in the Doc directory of the game that explains what factors help training. It is acalled "Pilot training addendum" or something like that. It had Addendum in the name for sure.
I do not know what is scarier: that I do understand nothing of this demonic script or that I am starting to see the demons that it evokes.

Me, studying for a PHD entry exam in Applied Mathematics.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was innuendo. But what do I know? Not a Latin speaker.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

In other words, there's a lot of uncertainty about what Alfred meant? If so, that makes me feel better (that I wasn't being exceptionally obtuse).
modrow

Post by modrow »

In other words, there's a lot of uncertainty about what Alfred meant? If so, that makes me feel better (that I wasn't being exceptionally obtuse).

Somehow, you seem not to be in a state of peace of mind with this operation. Suffering while waiting for the outcome of the next turn... jumping in defensively at quotes... Care to elaborate why? Bad consciene due to use of strategic assets tactically? Fear that having played John IIIrd too long, his aggressive, risky style did rub up on you?

So far, my impression was always you are the cool, calculating "You've got to crack a few eggs to make an omelette" type of player who is willing to invest to gain profit in the long run... [8D]

Hartwig
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

My interpretation of it was that it was a comment on your enthusiasm to do turns, turns, turns! An eager lover, as it were.

Perhaps, ah... overeager?
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Hey, Hartwig.

A day later, when I read my reply to Alfred's post, it immediatley came across to me as "defensive." That surprised me, because that was not the intended tone. It was meant as nothing more than an attempt to get clarification, so that I could fully understand. So the perception that I was "jumping defensively" would be understandable but actually not accurate. But that's on me, as I had failed to communicate adequately.

I have no regrets about how I've used Lex and Ent (unless Lex sinks, in which case I'll have the usual regret).

John's style didn't rub off, I think. I've been playing Erik (Obvert) for a year, doing pretty much the same things I've always done.

Now, I bet I've failed to communicate my thoughts well here, too. Mainly, the situation with Ent and Lex is about the most fun thing possible. It's been a blast and has me on the edge of my seat. I'm glad people are reading, especially so many old-timers, like Alfred. If he reads my comment that same way that you (and others?) did, then it'll seem that I was being discourteous, therefore prompting him to conclude, "Why bother?" And that I would indeed regret.

modrow

Post by modrow »

Thank you for the detailed reply.

Hartwig
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

Hey Dan, good luck with this new match. Should be a lot of fun! [8D]

Regarding your sync bug, you and Dave should ensure you both are running exactly the same patch and/or beta patch levels. That's the cause of 95% of sync issues.
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Thanks, Mike. That is the issue here, so I'll try to get it resolved with Dave.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

12/12/41

CenPac:
This is fascinating. Dave made many right calls but Lex managed to avoid detection today. With each day, the area he has to consider increases quickly, so he has to find her soon. How is his fuel state? How deep can he go without disrupting his other plans? How intent is he (I think very).

Attachments
121241CenPac.jpg
121241CenPac.jpg (425.77 KiB) Viewed 98 times
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

12/12/41

CenPac: The Enterprise half of the equation. She's probably safe from enemy carriers and combat vessels, though not from subs.

Attachments
121241CenPac2.jpg
121241CenPac2.jpg (409.78 KiB) Viewed 98 times
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

Can Eric press South so hard he moves from one game to another? [8D]
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Yes, he can. [:)]

I knew that was inevitable. I've tried to avoid doing it. I knew it was inevitable that I couldn't.

I wonder how long it will be before I have John III involved too?

Return to “After Action Reports”