Mission Speed 12....not going 12

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Rusty1961

Mission Speed 12....not going 12

Post by Rusty1961 »

I'm sure there is some rule in the book as to why when a ship is given an order to go to a specific hex, let's say 12 hexes away and the mission speed of the given task force is 12 (8/4), yet the TF doesn't go the 12 hexes.

It appears if you want it to go to a specific hex you had better pick Flank speed.

What is the rational?
God made man, but Sam Colt made them equal.
Lokasenna

RE: Mission Speed 12....not going 12

Post by Lokasenna »

You are misunderstanding what mission speed means. Mission speed is not actually a speed that the ships travel. You need to know first what the numbers in the parentheses mean.

The 8 is the maximum speed they can move.

The 4 is their cruise speed, which is their guaranteed movement per phase ("guaranteed", with some caveats, but if nothing happens they will move this speed).

Note that if you change the TF to Full Speed, those numbers will change to (8/8). If you change the TF to Cruise Speed, they will change to (4/4).

If you wanted them to move 12 hexes, you needed to set them to Full Speed, yes. Mission speed means they only might move at a speed faster than cruise if the TF commander believes the situation calls for it.

You should re-read the manual on what the speed settings mean.
Rusty1961

Post by Rusty1961 »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

You are misunderstanding what mission speed means. Mission speed is not actually a speed that the ships travel. You need to know first what the numbers in the parentheses mean.

The 8 is the maximum speed they can move.

The 4 is their cruise speed, which is their guaranteed movement per phase ("guaranteed", with some caveats, but if nothing happens they will move this speed).

Note that if you change the TF to Full Speed, those numbers will change to (8/8). If you change the TF to Cruise Speed, they will change to (4/4).

If you wanted them to move 12 hexes, you needed to set them to Full Speed, yes. Mission speed means they only might move at a speed faster than cruise if the TF commander believes the situation calls for it.

You should re-read the manual on what the speed settings mean.

Instead of reading the manual, which isn't always clear, I can have a good gentleman such as yourself respond to a question posted on-line, as you did.

Btw, I will challenge you to a "grudge match", team, and you had better accept. I will post your thrashing in the AAR forum.

you my Huckleberry?

God made man, but Sam Colt made them equal.
spence

Post by spence »

Geez...I always thought that the ship's speed was given in knots (statistics) and that one could do it, sorta figure it out like we did in the Coast Guard when I used to navigate a ship. If the ship's speed was 12 then that would be 12 kts or about 144 miles per phase. Dividing by the width of a hex (46 miles) that would be about 3 hexes per phase. If your destination is 12 hexes away then it's gonna take you 4 phases (2 days) to get there. Oddly enough a carrier that could do 32 kts could move better than twice that far (if it has enough fuel - fuel consumption is some geometric function of speed - moving twice as fast is going to cost much more than twice as much fuel).
rms1pa

Post by rms1pa »

thats about right, my spruecan had amazing fuel savings at 10kts. good fuel consumption at 21 kts, and horrible fuel consumption at full speed at mumble mumble kts.

rms/pa
there is a technical term for those who confuse the opinions of an author's characters for the opinions of the author.
the term is IDIOT.

Return to “The War Room”