The Ole' In & Out

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

ArmouredLion

The Ole' In & Out

Post by ArmouredLion »

Love this game--really-- but I stuggle with frustration when a half dozen or more unit do the ole' Panzer General 'pop in and out' and a good unit is destroyed. I understand that solid tactics and not exposing a unit is key--working on that, but the same can be done with airpower... and worse yet in combination. Nothing can survive and good ole in and out combo of air and land... then there's sea to. Nason showed me that on my 1st game. It's standard tactics in all turn-based games, but it seems too accentuated in this one. I don't want to throw the baby out with the bathing water when the baby is so nice. Just from a 'realism' standpoint, it drives me nuts. Combat is supposed to take time and when so many can attack and destroy a single unit while all the friendlies stand idle and watch with a box of popcorn it's frustrating. Can anyone play tactic psychologist with thoughts, wisdom, or a mod that limits airpower strength or movement after an attack to limit popping in and out? Or is it just unavoidable and I just need to pull up my big boy pants and accept it?
PvtBenjamin

RE: The Ole' In & Out

Post by PvtBenjamin »

I intend this with the utmost respect. I played SC extensively vs the AI in prior versions and primarily play PBEM in this version. Early in my PBEM play I was frustrated with many aspects of the game, as I have improved I've found most of the game works very well. Is there still room for improvement sure, but the game works very well.

The beauty of the game is its very easy to pick up and very hard to master.

Stick with it when you get a PBEM game against a comparable opponent it spectacular.

ArmouredLion

Post by ArmouredLion »

No sweat, brother... I don't get offended easily... a bit callous and a bit oblivious. Thanks for your thoughts-really. I play ATG and TOAW mostly, so my mind is centered on those tactics (strong front and break through reactionary force on defense). I do play Order of Battle and played Paner General back in the day... so I get the one unit a hex in and out thing. But in ATG & ect you can create strong points and mostly prevent 1 turn liquidation even if they are defeated. I haven't found the 'secret' in this game yet... working on not fitting SC in the box of other games mechanics... or what I want. AI isn't a problem. I win do pretty well there... it's those damn smart people that are. Had a guy job me using 3 battleships, 2 carriers, 2 infantry and two tanks-- in and out style--on my PZ3 in Africa. I was sad... It had just received a new paint job. So is flexible front or strong points the response in this game? It seems like strong points can be broken. Do you pull back a hex and let them come so it limits the number of in and outs and they need to blitz attack? I understand that each situation creates unique tactics, but in games, there are no-nos. I'm feeling strong point defense might be one of them. In Europe, I do better with space... tight space though it seems sticky. I agree I need to bone up and buck up... likely much in both. Just trying to figure it out with some wisdom from abroad. Thanks...
Markiss

Post by Markiss »

I know that the visual effect can be annoying, but what you are really seeing is the concentration of force against an objective.
In the real world, defenders have to cover a certain amount of territory to prevent themselves from being out-flanked. They have the advantage of preparing the ground they are going to fight on, hence the game effect of entrenchments and defensive bonuses for terrain.
Attackers, in the real world, try to concentrate as many units on a small front as they can, to overcome the defenders advantages and breakthrough. This game does not allow the stacking of units in a single hex, so in order to achieve that effect, during your turn you can rotate units in and out of the hex the attack is being launched from.
It is just a game mechanic used to approximate reality, don't let it bother you too much.
As far as other units not being able to react during the attack, that is part of the limitations of a turn-based game. To overcome this problem as a defender, try to keep units behind your main line in strategic positions to help block any breakthroughs. Easier said than done, but if your line is thin in the real world, you are vulnerable to breakthroughs as well. Defense-in-depth works best, if you have the units.
Lock up your wife and children now,
It's time to wield the blade..
PvtBenjamin

Post by PvtBenjamin »

A few things

1) The game is similar to Panzer General's leader aspect w/HQ's, except it is for more units. HQ's are probably the most important part to the game. Make sure the HQ's are attached to the important units, and you can upgrade the HQ's which is key. Try to have an HQ dedicated to just air units.

2) Concentrate on understanding supply, readiness, experience & terrain. Sure you do basic wargamer concepts.

3) Understand US/USSR mobilization (there are many decisions, there is post by Spz somewhere that lays all of them out) and invest in Industrial Production early & often.

4) Always search the seas with subs and Maritime bombers are great units.

gl

sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Hi Mike - glad to see you are enjoying noodling thru the 'in's and out's' of the game! For my opinion, I felt that Air Units were too powerful vs. Ground Targets, so in the 653N Mod the Air Unit effectiveness against Ground Units has been reduced. But that doesn't help you in the stock campaigns, so:
As far as defending against the game mechanics, my M.O. is to not lose units [the heart of winning the game], so there should always be one or more reserve units ready for use [with the Operate feature this is not difficult] and if my position is such that I will lose a unit then I have to relocate to a better position. Even if this means giving up valuable territory, we still need to win the war by losing a battle [;)]
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

Seeing this has given me a thought that could potentially work, but would require a lot of testing:

1) Increase the Prepared Attack Bonus significantly.
2) Increase unit defense factors so that units attacking with the above are no better off than before.

These changes would have the effect of reducing the effectiveness of attacks by units that have moved, e.g. those doing the "the Ole' In & Out " as you put it.

Whether this is a route we should go down is another matter, but as this thread gave me these thoughts I thought I'd post them so you can also have a think about this as a solution and even try them out in a mod if you wish as it requires no engine changes.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

Bill,

How about approaching it from a different direction

Possible suggestions:
Land units without the mobilization upgrade can Attack & Move, or Move & Attack, but may not Move, Attack & Move.
Land units with mobilization upgrades may Move, Attack & Move.
Reduce or remove Germany's mobilization upgrade penalty.

Something still needs to be done about naval units though. Not exactly sure what, but the ability of naval units to snake their way through any open square to attack enemy ships that should have higher protection (e.g. CV & Transports) is just obscene.
Maybe a more powerful ZOC for ships? Though it would have to be written to prevent offensive movement through ZOC, but allow fleeing from enemy ships?
Another possibility: Any ship trying to move out of a enemy naval ZOC hex into another enemy naval ZOC hex (even if projected from the same ship) is engaged/attacked by one of the naval units (preferably the one with the best odds).

"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft
ArmouredLion

Post by ArmouredLion »

Thanks, Markiss. I get the limitations (I'm trying at least), but when you can attack with soooo many units in one turn on a single hex and evaporate any unit no matter how entrenched it's a bit... frustrating. It is what it is, but for me, at a certain point it breaks the trance. The other turnbased games I play the breakthroughs and such happen when a line is thin or suffered attrition or hasn't been properly defended. ATG for example has a Stack Attack limit. When you attack over that amount with more troops the benefits of extra troops plummets and the attacker's casualties rise. Again, the game is beautiful and the streamlined nature of it is refreshing from some of the other games I play. Add in the diplomacy, events, and grand stage it's very, very fun times. But when you can fly in 3-4 bombers, and 3-4 other infantry units and disintegrate a whole entrenched army in a week when a whole long front is there... I develop a deep love for my digital soldiers and hate seeing them die so quickly. I can see being attacked from more than one side... but the battle is supposed to rage for the entire turn, so the 1st unit attacking popping out and then 2-3 more popping and out... well you know. I'm trying to buck up and build a battle doctrine, but my damn OCD is kicking me in the nether region... both sides are subject to the rules, so I'm trying to adapt. Thanks, sir.
ArmouredLion

Post by ArmouredLion »

Thanks, brother... yeah the flexible front, when you can, seems the best idea. Don't get me wrong, I've screwed up too with my placement... but other times I was snug as a bug in the rug... until I got the in and out surprise. I too think the airpower is too much. Reducing readiness and entrenchment on infantry, but casualties at that level seems high. I can understand armor getting the dam from the air. I'm trying to figure out how too add modes now... in the meantime, I'm trying to absorb the wisdom to save my beloved soldiers. Thanks, brother.
ArmouredLion

Post by ArmouredLion »

That sounds good, Bill.
My two cents would be you need to maneuver the flanking hexes to get extra units attacking. Maybe attacks use up all the movement or retreats are more likely. That's the thing units with retreat options would flee and not be destroyed. I do think if prepared attacks were higher and the ole in and out was lessened that artillery would be more needed to weaken before the attack and even the effects of airpower wouldn't be so brutal because it wouldn't be followed up by a half dozen units. This might force the weakening of an entire front rather than a single hex obliteration.

I don't know. I'm just trying to keep my arse from being handed to me and my brains from being scrambled when my favorite units get nuked. I hate when my favs get nuked... :(

Thanks for the reply, brother.
ArmouredLion

Post by ArmouredLion »

Considering the expense of the mobility upgrade that sounds like a smart and easy fix...Taxman.
Markiss

Post by Markiss »

One thing that may give you some solace is that when your opponent uses 3-4 bombers on one unit, he almost certainly make a mistake, at least against the Soviets. It is well known that you need to kill 4-5 units per turn against the them(as that is how many they are building, at least). If your opponent used almost his entire air force to kill one unit, you almost certainly came out ahead that turn. Too many turns like that, and the Soviet unit count starts to skyrocket, leading to inevitable doom.
Lock up your wife and children now,
It's time to wield the blade..
ArmouredLion

Post by ArmouredLion »

That's good info... Thanks. I guess mourning the brave soldiers battle lost, in that case, is good for winning the war... I tend to take a mirco view maybe too much. I keep my eye on this in the game I'm playing, Markiss.
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

So if I understand correctly, you'd like a WW2 game with impenetratable frontiers, because you hate losing units, no matter the effort the attacker conducts? That`s not what Blitzkrieg was about imho.

And sorry to say Bill, but your thoughts will terminate the rest of operational manouevre warfare this game offers.

If you'd take a view from the other side, the effort the attacker needs to destroy a single unit is already so high against capable opponents, that he needs so many attacks. Fortifications, terrain boni, arty and AA in the second row, ZoC are all working already in favor of the defender.
PvtBenjamin

Post by PvtBenjamin »

ORIGINAL: Sugar

So if I understand correctly, you'd like a WW2 game with impenetratable frontiers, because you hate losing units, no matter the effort the attacker conducts? That`s not what Blitzkrieg was about imho.

And sorry to say Bill, but your thoughts will terminate the rest of operational manouevre warfare this game offers.

If you'd take a view from the other side, the effort the attacker needs to destroy a single unit is already so high against capable opponents, that he needs so many attacks. Fortifications, terrain boni, arty and AA in the second row, ZoC are all working already in favor of the defender.

I agree with Sugar here.

It took me a while to realize this but a deep understanding of the mechanics of the game will alleviate many of the issues mentioned above. When you play a highly seasoned player they have no problem taking out units.

The air power may be a little to strong (mainly because of grouping) , once the defender attaches air/AA to high level HQs and researches AA to lv 3-5 the air power differential will be reduced.

I do have an issue with the strength of 0 (especially experienced) supply land units which it looks like 1.16 is addressing.

sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Also agree that nothing need be done except to reduce Air Unit effectiveness against ground units [Air Strikes cause too many losses to Ground Units].
The Naval game requires Air Interdiction and until that is a factor everything else is a fudge, in my opinion.
ArmouredLion

Post by ArmouredLion »

Isn't sugar is supposed to be sweet?

No. That's not what I'm saying. IF you have played other turn-based games WW2 games or read WW history you get it. And this isn't about blitzkrieg (war of movement). Blitzkrieg (mech units) would bypass strong points not destroy them and use them as the penetration point and springboard for the breakthrough.

I get it you are the best player here and you feel I'm attacking your beloved game and possibly past accomplishments. That's not the case. Just offering an opinion, trying to figure it out and I even qualified my thoughts many times to say 'maybe I'm wrong', 'the game is great' and such to not sound offensive. Guess I missed the mark. Sorry, I hurt your feelings... I'll be more delicate next time.

ArmouredLion

Post by ArmouredLion »

Was just asking questions and shooting the breeze. Taking units out wasn't my question... but creating strong points and seeing if it was just best to pull back rather than hold strong. It did bother me to see soo many units come in and out on a single unit and obliterate it. In history, this only really happened in encirclement and not from frontal charges... it's a game, so I need to adjust, it appears. Not here to cause wave just trying to get advice and chat, brother.
ArmouredLion

Post by ArmouredLion »

Wasn't trying to create a fuss. Was just trying to figure out the finer details of tactics. While the ole' in and out does both me, every games has issues...

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”