Event Limits?

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
VHauser

Event Limits?

Post by VHauser »

Can multiple events be tied to the same unit?

If yes, then what happens to subsequent events after the first event has triggered the unit?
Member since May 2000 (as VictorHauser)
Curtis Lemay

RE: Event Limits?

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: VHauser

Can multiple events be tied to the same unit?

If yes, then what happens to subsequent events after the first event has triggered the unit?
Can you clarify that a little?
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
VHauser

Post by VHauser »

There are three possible directions the Allies can approach from to activate a unit.

I want to assign event A to direction A, event B to direction B, and event C to direction C.

So, the unit would be triggered by whichever event happens first (A, B, or C). At least, that is my intention and desire. Is this workable?

Also, let's say that event B happens first, thus activating the unit. If subsequently the conditions for events A and C are achieved, since the unit has already been activated previously by event B, then are events A and C just ignored (since the unit was previously activated)?
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

There are three possible directions the Allies can approach from to activate a unit.

I want to assign event A to direction A, event B to direction B, and event C to direction C.

So, the unit would be triggered by whichever event happens first (A, B, or C). At least, that is my intention and desire. Is this workable?

Also, let's say that event B happens first, thus activating the unit. If subsequently the conditions for events A and C are achieved, since the unit has already been activated previously by event B, then are events A and C just ignored (since the unit was previously activated)?
What do you mean by "activated" or "triggered"? And A, B, and C are three different hexes on the map?
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
VHauser

Post by VHauser »

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

What do you mean by "activated" or "triggered"? And A, B, and C are three different hexes on the map?

Yes, A, B, and C are three different hexes on the map.

Yes, I want the unit to be a reinforcement and to enter the game when the first event (A, B, or C) happens.

But the real question is what happens to the other two events after the first event happens and the unit enters play? Which raises another question: Is it even possible in the first place to have multiple events tied to the same unit? These are the important questions.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

Yes, A, B, and C are three different hexes on the map.

Yes, I want the unit to be a reinforcement and to enter the game when the first event (A, B, or C) happens.

But the real question is what happens to the other two events after the first event happens and the unit enters play? Which raises another question: Is it even possible in the first place to have multiple events tied to the same unit? These are the important questions.

You can only specify one event to trigger a unit's arrival. However, that event can be triggered by three other events. So, this is possible. There can only be one arrival hex, however. The other two events wouldn't do anything, but, if you're worried about them, they can be canceled by the first event.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
VHauser

Post by VHauser »

Okay, I understand. I know how I can make that work. Thank you.
VHauser

Post by VHauser »

Well, I could not make my idea work.

Evidently, the game will not let me chose 'Enable Event' or 'Activate Event' when I select a '2 Occupies' event. This makes no sense to me.

Why can't an Occupy event activate/enable another event? My choices are limited to: Cease Fire, Cool Front, End Normal, End Victory 1, End Victory 2, News Only, Open Fire, Remove Zone 1, Remove Zone 2, Storms, Use Chemicals 1, Use Chemicals 2, Warm Front.

Is my file corrupted? Am I missing something?
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

2 Occupies should trigger a News Only event. That News Only event sets off an event that is triggered when the News Only event happens. I think that's how it goes. Been awhile.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

Well, I could not make my idea work.

Evidently, the game will not let me chose 'Enable Event' or 'Activate Event' when I select a '2 Occupies' event. This makes no sense to me.

Why can't an Occupy event activate/enable another event? My choices are limited to: Cease Fire, Cool Front, End Normal, End Victory 1, End Victory 2, News Only, Open Fire, Remove Zone 1, Remove Zone 2, Storms, Use Chemicals 1, Use Chemicals 2, Warm Front.

Is my file corrupted? Am I missing something?

Something like this:

Attachments
ScreenHunt..0617.20.jpg
ScreenHunt..0617.20.jpg (44.05 KiB) Viewed 377 times

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Lobster

Post by Lobster »

Event 9 will give you the whole spectrum:

Attachments
ScreenHunt..0617.22.jpg
ScreenHunt..0617.22.jpg (133.91 KiB) Viewed 381 times

VHauser

Post by VHauser »

Thank you, Lobster.

This game never ceases to amaze me, and not in a good way. You folks who are thinking about designing/modding a scenario should be aware that working with events is a lot trickier than you imagine...

Who knew that only certain event types allow the full event spectrum? At least now I know that 'News Only' events will. There is no documentation that explains this, only veterans of the school of trial-and-error know these things.

Thanks again, Lobster.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

Thank you, Lobster.

This game never ceases to amaze me, and not in a good way. You folks who are thinking about designing/modding a scenario should be aware that working with events is a lot trickier than you imagine...

Who knew that only certain event types allow the full event spectrum? At least now I know that 'News Only' events will. There is no documentation that explains this, only veterans of the school of trial-and-error know these things.

Thanks again, Lobster.

There is a reason it is nicknamed Evil Ed. It is most user unfriendly and documentation is sparse at best. I would wager an entire manual would be needed to explain everything.

USXpat

Post by USXpat »

The TOAW Beachhead has an older file that is very helpful for nuances of the event editor -- was good for TOAW III, should still be good or mostly so for TOAW IV.

https://thetoawbeachhead.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/evil-ed-toaw-3-4.pdf

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”