Snipers and Marksmen version 1

noooooo

Snipers and Marksmen version 1

Post by noooooo »

Snipers and Marksmen
Version 1

Changes and additions:

All nations now have Medium MG sections available to them (previously only a few factions had them)

"Semi-automatic Rifle" has been renamed to "Battle Rifle" to represent all self loading rifles with full powered cartridges like the American M14, British SLR, or German G3

Designated Marksmen: These are marksmen who are embedded in squads to extend the range of a unit. They don't have spotters and are not as accurate as pure snipers but fire much more often. They almost universally use semi-automatic sniper rifles like the SVD.

Snipers: Snipers work in two or three men teams. They are categorized as recon in the game and enjoy the same advantages recon units have such as infiltration and starting closer in the middle. Their rifles have an emplacement time which means they cannot be fired on the move and require time to set up. They also fire slowly but are very accurate and deadly. They use either highly accurized semi-automatic sniper rifles like the M21 or bolt actions such as the L96.

US Army:
Sniper sections with M21 SWS starting from 1969
Sniper sections with M24 SWS starting from 1988

USSR:
All infantry and mechanized platoons have one marksman armed with a SVD.

Finland:
One three man sniper team on a company basis, attached to HQ units
Sniper sections with an accurized M/28 or M/39 or from 1985 onwards, Tkiv 85
Sniper sections with a SVD

FRG
All "Assault Rifles" have been replaced by "Battle Rifles." The G3 is much more similar in function and capabilities to the M14 and SLR than it is to the M16 or AK
All infantry squads have 1-2 marksmen armed with a scoped G3ZF. This means that West German infantry is much more effective defensively, at long range and at delaying enemies, while being less effective at close range.
Sniper sections with the G3SG/1 or MSG90.

GDR
All infantry and mechanized platoons have one marksman armed with a SVD.

British Army
Sniper sections with accurized, scoped Lee-Enfield No. 4, a Parker-Hale Model 82 or from 1970 onwards until 1990 the L42A1
Sniper sections with L96A1 starting from 1982
SA80 infantry were issued with 4x scopes on an individual basis and the range of their assault rifles were increased in the game. (Yes, the original SA80 was quite a poor weapon from an ergonomic and reliability standpoint but when people weren't complaining about those aspects they were praising it for its accuracy when it did work, further compounded by the fact that all infantry units were issued 4x scopes)

Poland
All infantry, mechanized and airborne platoons have one marksman armed with a SVD.

Misc changes:
Better small arms penetration values
Some higher tier tanks top armor fixed so they can't be penetrated by small arms

Installation
1. Open the directory of AB (for me it's C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Games\Armored Brigade)
3. Extract the folder from the downloaded attachment inside
4. Open the AB launcher, click the change settings button
5. Change the database to "snipers"
6. Click play game

Notes
Some units which had max weapon slots had their Grenade Launcher and Hand Grenade slots merged. This has no effect on gameplay! I simply put their ammo into one weapon which represents all grenades. This makes no difference in the way the units work.

To easily accommodate future updates or merging with other mods, this mod uses data ranges 400-450 for faction formations, 2020-2100 for formations, 1020-1100 for units, weapons and ammunition.

If you have any suggestions for this mod, post it below! I'll gladly listen to all feedback.
Attachments
snipers.zip
(522.43 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
wodin

RE: Snipers and Marksmen version 1

Post by wodin »

lovely!!

Snipers are so important to model at this sort of scale..great addition.
noooooo

Post by noooooo »

ORIGINAL: wodin

lovely!!

Snipers are so important to model at this sort of scale..great addition.

Thanks! Yeah, it does have some impact in smaller scale games that are more infantry centric.
exsonic01

Post by exsonic01 »

Great mod! I wish if those sniper teams have vehicles, but not sure if that is possible. As far as I know this game's ATGM teams have no taxi because of AI issue - AI don't know how to 'wisely' use ATGM + taxi. But maybe sniper team might free from those AI limitation?

Any plan to place them in recon team? Or make a new "recon infantry team with a sniper / sharpshooter" with better detection and observation?
noooooo

Post by noooooo »

ORIGINAL: exsonic01

Great mod! I wish if those sniper teams have vehicles, but not sure if that is possible. As far as I know this game's ATGM teams have no taxi because of AI issue - AI don't know how to 'wisely' use ATGM + taxi. But maybe sniper team might free from those AI limitation?

Any plan to place them in recon team? Or make a new "recon infantry team with a sniper / sharpshooter" with better detection and observation?

I might be misunderstanding your question but the sniper teams are already categorized as arecon teams for NATO factions but not for WP factions. This was meant to differentiate between the way they doctrinally approached marksmanship. The West Germans are an exception and have both designated marksmen who use the accurate G3ZF and sniper/spotter/recon team who use the exceptionally accurate G3SG1.

About snipers in vehicles, I will do some testing to see how well it works. Right now Finnish HQ units come with a 3 man sniper team who ride in the HQ's vehicle.
exsonic01

Post by exsonic01 »

ORIGINAL: noooooo
ORIGINAL: exsonic01

I might be misunderstanding your question but the sniper teams are already categorized as arecon teams for NATO factions but not for WP factions. This was meant to differentiate between the way they doctrinally approached marksmanship. The West Germans are an exception and have both designated marksmen who use the accurate G3ZF and sniper/spotter/recon team who use the exceptionally accurate G3SG1.
Oh, that is great, thanks to let me know!
CCIP-subsim

Post by CCIP-subsim »

One thought I had about snipers, which I'm now testing out in my Chechnya mod - I think it'd be neat to boost their damage-dealing ability a little bit (which I've done successfully), but at the same time give them a limitation in the form of not firing while suppressed. I think if you de-select "fire buttoned-up" for the unit, that would have that effect... gonna give that one a try and see what effect that has, provided there's other weapons with that sniper's unit, that might actually work really well!
noooooo

Post by noooooo »

ORIGINAL: CCIP-subsim

One thought I had about snipers, which I'm now testing out in my Chechnya mod - I think it'd be neat to boost their damage-dealing ability a little bit (which I've done successfully), but at the same time give them a limitation in the form of not firing while suppressed. I think if you de-select "fire buttoned-up" for the unit, that would have that effect... gonna give that one a try and see what effect that has, provided there's other weapons with that sniper's unit, that might actually work really well!

I do indeed have sniper sections soft damage turned up to medium, but the distinction I make is that they have to be sniper teams with a spotter and a high precision rifle. For example, Soviet designated marksmen with SVD have low damage but have almost the same rate of fire as a normal battle rifle, but with extended range. But an American two men sniper team with M21 or M24 and spotter has a very long fire delay (although shorter in the case of M21 since it's semi-auto,) but have even higher accuracy, range and have medium soft damage.

About the buttoned up part, that's a good idea! I didn't think of it before.

Return to “MODS and Scenarios”