Movement Question

From the legendary team at 2 by 3 Games comes a new grand strategy masterpiece: Gary Grigsby’s War Between the States. Taking gamers back to the American Civil War, this innovative grand strategy game allows players to experience the trials and tribulations of the role of commander-in-chief for either side. Historically accurate, detailed and finely balanced for realistic gameplay, War Between the States is also easy to play and does not take months to finish.

Moderators: Joel Billings, PyleDriver

Yogi the Great

Movement Question

Post by Yogi the Great »

I have a feeling I'm missing something easy but thought I would ask anyway. Just got the game on the Holiday sale after thinking for several years of doing so.

Anyway playing for the first time and having the problem that units just won't be able to move. Initiative? Movement points? Enemy in area? Inexperienced units? Poor Commander?

Manual in part reads: Units cannot enter a region unless they have sufficient movement points remaining. The only exception is that during the regular movement phase only, you are guaranteed to be able to move at least one region if you have not moved during the reaction phase and you are moving into a friendly controlled region.

Anyway while the unit will allow move into am area somewhere it won't allow adjoining into enemy areas or even sometimes friendly areas. The only reason given when you hover over it is unable to make move with no explanation of why. Even to an adjoining area not crossing any river. Kind of hard to do an offensive when you can't even move. Also interesting is it allows a single general with no troops attached to move in, but no other troops with generals are allowed to follow.

So I just can't seem to figure it out and if it stays that way as the game goes on I don't see how the game can work but I know there is an answer out there.
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
Hattori Hanzo

RE: Movement Question

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

weird, no one of your units move ?
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

ORIGINAL: Hattori Hanzo

weird, no one of your units move ?

No it's only some units that can't move even one region. Can't figure out why, perhaps it could be in that "The only exception is that during the regular movement phase only, you are guaranteed to be able to move at least one region if you have not moved during the reaction phase" I can't say I've noticed them moving in the reaction phase but maybe I'm missing something.
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
DTX111

Post by DTX111 »

Hi Yogi,
It's hard to diagnose your problem. If you are just getting into the game, consider making it really easy, i.e., in addition to selecting "easy" as the difficulty, you can type in numbers to make it even easier.

I used this approach because I initially had trouble getting into the game. Playing a game which is intentionally very easy will give you a chance to learn all of the mechanics. Also, I recommend using the suggested 1st turn moves that was posted elsewhere in this forum (I forget exactly where).
avgard

Post by avgard »

First of all, have you downloaded the most current patch before you attempt to play. If not, that could be causing you problems. As far as movement goes, if you are unable to move into an area it may be the terrain. If the troops do not have initiative then movement is more limited. The tutorials are good. Do the one on movement. This is a great game but complex. Weather is a contributor too. In the winter, movement and supply are more limited. Larger rivers need transport to cross. Periodically I am involved in a battle and have troops next door but they cannot reinforce because of the terrain. Go through all the tutorials if you are a new player.
DTX111

Post by DTX111 »

Go thru the tutorials and the videos. Initially, I did just the tutorials and I didn't realize how valuable the videos would be. So when avgard says "all", it includes the videos. (They work on Windows 10, but I needed to start them from the game directory, not the game's menu).

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War Between the States”