All things Football (soccer) related

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Orm

RE: All things Football (soccer) related

Post by Orm »

Football is a wonderful sport. [:)]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
loki100

Post by loki100 »

I know its great that Scotland actually won something etc. But, if I understand correctly, we have 'won' the right to play a game against someone else and if we win that, we get another game. This is terribly exciting, but could someone explain what the Nations League is actually about?

Especially as the next Euro Championships still seem to be a completely different competition?
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: loki100

I know its great that Scotland actually won something etc. But, if I understand correctly, we have 'won' the right to play a game against someone else and if we win that, we get another game. This is terribly exciting, but could someone explain what the Nations League is actually about?

Especially as the next Euro Championships still seem to be a completely different competition?
warspite1

loki100 fwiw my understanding is this:

The European Championship qualifiers will take place as normal. Despite winning their Nations League group and being promoted, for the Euro qualifiers, Scotland remain in Pot 3. There will be ten Groups and the top two in each group qualifying for 2020 (20 teams)

There are normally play-offs for best runners up in the groups for the final positions. However because of the Nations League, the play-off places will be filled from this competition and not the qualifiers (4 teams).

So Scotland are guaranteed a place in the play-offs - but if they are in the top two in their qualifying group, they will qualify anyway and the next best team in their section will take their play-off place. But if they finish say third, they will then try and qualify via their play-off spot. To qualify via the play-offs they would play a semi-final against one of the other teams in the C tier that won their Nations League Group. If they win that they would play a final against the winners of the other semi-final. If they win that they qualify for Euro 2020.

So at the 2020 European Championships will be one qualifier from Tiers A, B, C and D!

For those revelling in Germany's misfortune - here is the rub.... Germany are now in Pot 2 so Portugal, England, Holland, France, Spain, Croatia and Italy watchout.

Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: Orm

have to agree, best game on the planet and I defy anyone to disagree [;)]

(nips off to edit/delete various past posts on the subject)
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Orm

have to agree, best game on the planet and I defy anyone to disagree [;)]

(nips off to edit/delete various past posts on the subject)
warspite1

Is being a Spurs fan the worst experience any human can EVER have? We are 2-0 up at half time.... But Son should have had 5, Chelsea on another day would have got a penalty, and whenever Hazard or Willian get the ball I come out in a cold sweat......This is going to be a tense 45 minutes.... and this really is a stooopidity stupid game.

loki100

Post by loki100 »

and now doing their very best to convert a 3-0 lead into a 3-3 draw ....
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

and now doing their very best to convert a 3-0 lead into a 3-3 draw ....
warspite1

I really don't know why you get so worked up loki100, a victory was never in doubt..... [:D][;)]

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Association Football.

BEST.GAME.EVER

And I'm unanimous in this [:)]

COYS!!!

loki100

Post by loki100 »

yep, guess its a good time to offer the view that football is the most fantastic game ever ... just can't understand how any one could even suggest otherwise?
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

yep, guess its a good time to offer the view that football is the most fantastic game ever ... just can't understand how any one could even suggest otherwise?
All can change in the next match... [:'(]
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

Quite so old boy, quite so. [:)]

I must say that was an intense experience last night. Having gone through the 90 and then the 4 added minutes, it still wasn’t over. I mean where the hell did the ref get TWO extra minutes of time added on from? It would have been SO Spurs for Inter to have scored in the 96th minute.......

TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

As expected, Jose did not survive the hilarious third season. The wheels came off the bus eh!

Next stop has to be China, punditry or some proper bus driving in Papoua New Guinea in cannibals-infested territory.

Hilarious.
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

So the big news from the Premiership is that Jose Mourinho has been sacked by Manchester United.

Every manager - unless he retires at the right time or is carried out in a box on the job - has a sell-by date. It's too early to say if Mourinho has reached his or whether this is a temporary blip, but even if the former, wow...what a record he bows out with [&o]

I suspect Jose will turn up somewhere in the future and I suspect any TRUE fan of Porto, Chelsea and Inter will thank their lucky stars the day Jose was appointed. And even where he 'failed' at Manchester United and Real Madrid, he was a serial trophy winner.

Controversial, charismatic, charming, clever, boorish, petulant, sulky - Jose is a 'character' who is news wherever he goes. But above all he is a winner - and his roll of honour is incredible. I wish he'd gone to Spurs pre-Poch that's for sure.

And while on the subject of Jose, Pogba's tweet says everything about him. Pathetic and totally lacking in class.

shunwick

Post by shunwick »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

So the big news from the Premiership is that Jose Mourinho has been sacked by Manchester United.

Every manager - unless he retires at the right time or is carried out in a box on the job - has a sell-by date. It's too early to say if Mourinho has reached his or whether this is a temporary blip, but even if the former, wow...what a record he bows out with [&o]

I suspect Jose will turn up somewhere in the future and I suspect any TRUE fan of Porto, Chelsea and Inter will thank their lucky stars the day Jose was appointed. And even where he 'failed' at Manchester United and Real Madrid, he was a serial trophy winner.

Controversial, charismatic, charming, clever, boorish, petulant, sulky - Jose is a 'character' who is news wherever he goes. But above all he is a winner - and his roll of honour is incredible. I wish he'd gone to Spurs pre-Poch that's for sure.

And while on the subject of Jose, Pogba's tweet says everything about him. Pathetic and totally lacking in class.
Well, the Braintree Town supporters club is currently in talks with Jose. Having saved us from relegation two seasons ago, he is a suitable replacement for club legend Brad Quinton. Jose will have his work cut out though. We have a decent mid-table National League South squad and no money. Hmmm, that gives me an idea...

I agree with your assessment of Paul Pogba.

Best wishes,
Steve
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: shunwick

Well, the Braintree Town supporters club is currently in talks with Jose. Having saved us from relegation two seasons ago, he is a suitable replacement for club legend Brad Quinton. Jose will have his work cut out though. We have a decent mid-table National League South squad and no money. Hmmm, that gives me an idea...

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Does Brad have a new job yet? If not, is he prepared to hang on? I hear that there will be a vacancy in North London in the summer.... [:(]

What a nightmare for Daniel Levy and the board. A brand new, state of the art, 62,000 capacity stadium (when finished) which has to be paid for - and no manager and a team that will leave en masse if Poch goes.

Oh well as a Spurs fan I was always waiting for it all to go wrong. At least we'll have the biggest stadium in the Championship in 2020/21 [:)].

shunwick

Post by shunwick »

ORIGINAL: shunwick

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Does Brad have a new job yet? If not, is he prepared to hang on? I hear that there will be a vacancy in North London in the summer.... [:(]

What a nightmare for Daniel Levy and the board. A brand new, state of the art, 62,000 capacity stadium (when finished) which has to be paid for - and no manager and a team that will leave en masse if Poch goes.

Oh well as a Spurs fan I was always waiting for it all to go wrong. At least we'll have the biggest stadium in the Championship in 2020/21 [:)].
Brad left by mutual consent at the beginning of October. That's Braintree Town speak for "he would have got the sack but we can't afford to pay off his contract." So, because he is a club legend and a decent chap, mutual consent it was. We currently have Hakan Heyrettin back, first as caretaker manager but then appointed manager for the rest of the season when it became obvious that nobody else wanted the job or would do it for the wages offered.

In Football Manager 19, Braintree have no manager at the start of the season which is how they handle sackings, resignations etc. in first few months of the new season. So I can move Mourinho, in theory, straight into Braintree without going the round the houses like I did last time.

I generally stay clear of managing Braintree in the game because as a fan of the club it never seemed right to me. I did set up a temporary save last night with me as Braintree Manager, just to check out the what Jose would have at his disposal. And then I got so depressed by what I found that I deleted that save very quickly. It would be interesting to see if Jose can save the club from relegation. He will certainly have to work hard.

Is Maurichio Pochettino favourite for the Man U job?

Best wishes,
Steve
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
Piteas

Post by Piteas »

Just saying... Mou, don´t come back to Real, please [:'(]
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

ORIGINAL: Piteas

The question is are you desperate enough? Because Mr M thrives on people's desperation. As simple as that.

Don't wanna see revolutionary "trivotes" again? The thing that was gunna shock the football foundations eh hehe [:D][:D][:D]
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Piteas

warspite1

There is a rumour that the board want him. But how that would go down with some of the senior players I don't know....

Return to “General Discussion”