Vichy primer for CW/US - how to tackle Vichy

Share your best strategies and tactics with other players by posting them here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

jjdenver

Vichy primer for CW/US - how to tackle Vichy

Post by jjdenver »

I've never quite had a good strategy for CW and US to handle Vichy in 40, 41, 42.

Assume the usual suspects are Vichy: Syria, Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Madagascar, and maybe a couple of others: FIC or Caribbean let's say.

Assume Euro Axis are occupied with Barb 41.

How should CW approach this situation? Wait for US to attack Vichy N Africa? Take them on 1 country at a time sooner? I'd appreciate some thoughts about how to think about strategy vs Vichy.

Thanks
AARS:
CEAW-BJR Mod 2009:
tm.asp?m=2101447
AT-WW1:
tm.asp?m=1705427
AT-GPW:
tm.asp?m=1649732
paulderynck

RE: Vichy primer for CW/US - how to tackle Vichy

Post by paulderynck »

My personal favorite is to leave them alone until the US is in the war and then use a combo US and CW DoW to take out as many of their colonies as possible in that surprise impulse. Between the US and CW, there's enough SCS and Divs and overland movement to do a real number of Vichy.
Paul
jjdenver

Post by jjdenver »

Thanks Paulderynck.
AARS:
CEAW-BJR Mod 2009:
tm.asp?m=2101447
AT-WW1:
tm.asp?m=1705427
AT-GPW:
tm.asp?m=1649732
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

I don't agree. I tend to DoW Vichy with the CW if Syria becomes Vichy. I want to rob the Euroaxis of the oil point they get out of Iraq as soon as I can. Especially if the CW has got the Palestinian TERR and there are no Vichy land units in Damascus...

But this also depends on what other minor countries becomes Vichy and what I've got available with the CW to use as fast units to take out as many minors I can...
Peter
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

As usual with such a facet-interlocking game, the answer "depends" - and is different every game. The Allies should not stop and figure out some special "Vichy Strategy" - they should pick a strategy to defeat the Axis, and answer whatever questions Vichy creates while following that strategy.

Meanwhile, there are Victory Points to be had - for you - or, your Ally? What would Churchill do, sit and just watch while the world dissolves into a bunch of American dominated "democracies"?
jjdenver

Post by jjdenver »

hah. ok brian.

Thanks for the answers. I have usually go into Iraq with CW to cut off the Syrian oil but that takes awhile to set up so I can see the point of going after Syria right away.
AARS:
CEAW-BJR Mod 2009:
tm.asp?m=2101447
AT-WW1:
tm.asp?m=1705427
AT-GPW:
tm.asp?m=1649732
peskpesk

Post by peskpesk »

Also the location/state of the Vichy Navy is important (size, usfull for the Axis, can it be port striked during suprise? etc) and what are the Axis likely plan, are they going to collaps Vichy or not? US-entry
"'Malta - The Thorn in Rommel's Side"
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Once I built the CW frogman unit. Because they are so much more useful in a surprise impulse I used it against the Vichy fleet in Marseilles when the US and CW DoW'd. It was at the conclusion of that attack (did not roll all that well) we realized I had made Vichy Hostile by entering Metropolitan Vichy France. Not really a desired outcome.
Paul

Return to “The War Room”