Mushrooms over Maizuru: Chickenboy (J) vs. AcePylut (A)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

rustysi

RE: Mushrooms over Maizuru: Chickenboy (J) vs. AcePylut (A)

Post by rustysi »

Nice op. Too bad you didn't catch them loaded with troops. At any rate it'll slow him down a bit as all those transports will be outta action for the time being.

I pretty much agree that its time to skedaddle outta the place. I'm sure his Netties will be all stirred up and seeking revenge. Even if he doesn't have torps, you don't want even 250kg bombs smacking into your flight decks.

It should also give him pause as to further ops without adequate cover.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

In the passage between Iwo and Saipan... my 1 CL 2 DD tf came up empty and couldn't run down a transport tf half it's speed... so that was a big giant nothingburger.

Weather maybe.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

AcePylut

Post by AcePylut »

I forgot if there is an easy way to check troop losses from ships sunk. I don’t keep an eye on daily vp level changes so that’s not an option. About 10 units were in process of being landed, and I think most of them got ashore before the air attack.
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: AcePylut

I forgot if there is an easy way to check troop losses from ships sunk. I don’t keep an eye on daily vp level changes so that’s not an option. About 10 units were in process of being landed, and I think most of them got ashore before the air attack.
I can just see Prime Minister Tojo asking his assistant to check on VP level. [:D]
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

ORIGINAL: Zorch
I can just see Prime Minister Tojo asking his assistant to check on VP level. [:D]
When you are near 4:1 in the end of 42 those VP become VIP, so I can totally see someone PM Tojo about those daily [:D]
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

AFAIK only the combat report on the ship sinkings would show the troop losses. If none are shown, all the troops were ashore already, or the convoy was supply only.
If you are talking about cumulative troop losses at sea from the game's beginning, I think you would need a tool like Tracker or Combat Reporter to draw the data from combat reports for you.
Frankly, I don't see what use that info is anyway.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
AcePylut

Post by AcePylut »

New turn...

In the Pacific, one of my 20VP tankers exploded and sank for no reason.

The IJ 4th ID is poised to take Suva. The 4th ID raw av is around 190, so she'll need some R&R after this, but I don't have anything close-by to contest.

My ships have safely extracted from the DEI.

As expected, Balikpapan was a buzz-saw of enemy fighters, I think I lost maybe 4-5 search craft over the base.

Here's what landed at Balikpapan - as you can see, most of the units got ashore before my planes launched. The base fell to the first attack.

Attachments
balikpapan.jpg
balikpapan.jpg (55.9 KiB) Viewed 68 times
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

I forgot if there is an easy way to check troop losses from ships sunk.

It'll be in the combat report underneath the ship losses. They'll appear in the same format as if it were ground to ground combat.

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

In the Pacific, one of my 20VP tankers exploded and sank for no reason.

Oh, there's a reason, you just won't like it.[:D]

AcePylut

Post by AcePylut »

Some idiot swabbie lit a match.

New turn, nothing of note really in this turn except...

The QE took a torp from a sub. She's at 15 float damage with speed reduced to 22kts.

I vectored this ship way out of the usual shipping lanes, and she still got "caught". Sigh.
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

New turn, nothing of note really in this turn except...

The QE took a torp from a sub. She's at 15 float damage with speed reduced to 22kts.

I vectored this ship way out of the usual shipping lanes, and she still got "caught". Sigh.

[X(] Wow! That's the first time I ever heard of her taking damage!
Created by the amazing Dixie
AcePylut

Post by AcePylut »

Yeah same here. I'm glad she didn't sink as she's carrying most of my 40th Infantry Division.
AcePylut

Post by AcePylut »

One action I have planned for the next turn - Search showed 4 enemy ships ported in Balikpapan.

That Dutch base on Borneo a few hexes west of Balikpapan - Bandijamersin or something like that - I loaded up with Buffs and Dutch LBs and sent them in on a 4k ft port strike. My planes will probably get savaged by enemy fighters.

My drive-by (sail-by?) bombardment of Marcus showed no enemy troops. I put three subs in this hex to await any possible IJ troops ships coming to garrison the island.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

In a game vs. John III years ago, one of his subs torpedoed Queen Elizabeth as she started out from San Diego filled with troops. I think enough time remained to fix her, so that she ended up making one long voyage.

I've never heard of QE being sunk.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
AcePylut

Post by AcePylut »

Don't jinx me into being the first!!!
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Exactly what I was thinking.[:D]
I've never heard of QE being sunk.

I've done it, but that's in an AI game.
Don't jinx me into being the first!!!

[:D]
Bandijamersin or something like that - I loaded up with Buffs and Dutch LBs and sent them in on a 4k ft port strike. My planes will probably get savaged by enemy fighters.

Why not? Its worth a shot.
My drive-by (sail-by?) bombardment of Marcus showed no enemy troops. I put three subs in this hex to await any possible IJ troops ships coming to garrison the island.

OK, that leaves it open. Just insure it still is before you attempt some small landing.

Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

You could see all of Marcus from a good periscope [:D]

Attachments
1280pxAer..6414230.jpg
1280pxAer..6414230.jpg (144.5 KiB) Viewed 68 times
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
AcePylut

Post by AcePylut »

Here’s my P-38 SuperGroup plan…

Assuming CB does not invade any of Australia proper… there’s a base hex on the NE coast – Cooktown? (iirc – at work so can’t confirm).

I plan to build this base up to a level 3 airfield (and probably level 2 port), stock it with a few CD units, LCU’s, mines, etc. (i.e. I will treat it as a fully stocked stand-alone island base) and necessary Aviation Support for my groups. I’ll base my P38’s there, along with a number of single engine fighter groups and a couple of DB groups.

This base is in range of PM for my P38’s, so I will use this base to sweep PM with P38’s on turns I send in 4EB and other 2EB to PM.

I’ll use the single engine fighters to CAP my base (for the expected return strikes), mines and CD to help deter any bombardments (or make them sting very badly), and DB units to bomb any bombarding ships damaged by the mines/cd.

This won’t happen for at least three months of game time, so maybe in March/April of ’19 we’ll see if it works as I hope, or not.

Plus, the P38’s will be stocked with my best quality pilots -exp 75 or above – with the best air leader.

I’d like for this base to be a schwerpunkt of attrition for the IJ. We’ll see if it works out like that in a few months.

First order of business – get some ground forces up there (INF, AA, CD, Eng, BF) and build up forts.

Now, if CB invades OZ, that’s even better. Scratch this plan because it just got better for me and a large number of pilots getting combat experience 😊

I'd like to name this op something supercool like "Watchtower", "Wacht am Rhein", "Barbarossa", "Overlord" or "Cartwheel" or such... definitely not something superlame, but all I can think of is Operation Supergroup and that's superlame so oh well.
Encircled

Post by Encircled »

How about "Lightning Storm"

Not sure to be honest that mines, CD guns etc will stop a devastating bombardment.

Charters Towers is your best bet as an airbase up there
AcePylut

Post by AcePylut »

Heya guys thanks fo the input:

@Rustysi: Yes I believed that the going after Balikpapan with the Dutch bombers was worth a shot. Didn’t pan out though, weather socked in the base and nothing flew ☹

@Encircled: I only have (34) P38’s in the bank at the moment, so this isn’t a long term op. I figure on about 5-10 sweeps before Ops losses come into play and degrade my unit. I can’t reach PM from Charters Towers, need to be closer. Cooktown's mines and CD might not stop the bombardment, but it will make it sting. I'll also have about 10-20 "S" boats in the likely lanes to try and land some torps into any incoming bombardments. I also should have plenty of warning before it happens and should be able to extract the ‘38’s. I hope he does try and bombard, I’d trade 10 P38’s for a couple of Jappo CA’s any day. Mines, Subs, CD’s, DB’s… da works! I will probably even throw a couple of PT’s at the base just to suck up ops points and keep the bombarders in plane range. Charters Towers is my 4EB base, it’s at level 5 as we speak. I have one of those Dutch 100 Av Support BF’s there.

I received an interesting email from CB: “I can't believe my good fortune if the 'ships sunk' list is true. That big ole' bat QE sunk with just 1 TT? 76 VPs too? I think she's got WAAAY too big a chuff to down with just one little 'ole torp.”

I replied with (paraphrased): "Yeah I was thinking the same thing about the BB Hiei. 2 Torps at Manado and she sinks? It can happen, I did lose a modern BB to a single sub torp about 2 hexes from Seattle in a previous match. Damn critical hits. I wonder what die roll was for the RMS Titanic back in April of 1912 that caused it to sink."

Return to “After Action Reports”