Time scale

Moderator: Hubert Cater

Numdydar

Time scale

Post by Numdydar »

There have been a number of comments about map scale (and I too wished it was a little bigger. I had no issue with the naval loops so I would not have reduced the scale just to avoid them. But then again I also play War in the Pacific too lol)

But My issue is the time scale. I detest it. I always had an issue with previous titles where I have a weekly turn, time advances, then the other side has a weekly turn, and time advances, etc. But the time scale was variable. More turns in good weather (7 days each) and longer turns in bad weather (14-21 days). While odd and took some getting used to, it seemed to work out correctly.

But one turn a month in this version is ridiculous. Who thought this was a good idea?

I can only pray that this gets addressed at some point as I personally think this makes the game unplayable. As keeping any kind of historical timetable is difficult at best.

The only thing I can think of was that too many people complained about how long MP matches took using the old system. So they shortened the time scale to accommodate then. And messed it up for everyone else in the process. [:(]
Hubert Cater

RE: Time scale

Post by Hubert Cater »

Hi Numdydar,

One reason the turns are not variable as they are set in the War in Europe game is that in the Global setting it doesn't make as much sense to accelerate the *winter* turns as we have a northern and southern hemisphere in game with World at War.

We've used the 14 week alternate turns setup for both previous Global games as well, and the feedback was always that it worked well enough and that the historical timelines lined up relatively within reason. Beta testing also showed that the historical timelines for this release could be matched up accordingly as well so for now we really haven't felt the need to fix what didn't come across as broken, at least not yet.

For reference and to give a better idea how the turns line up with the previous War in Europe release:

War in Europe Sept 1939 to August 1940 -> 26 turns
World at War Sept 1939 to August 1940 -> 25 turns

War in Europe August 1940 to June 1941 -> 24 turns
World at War August 1940 to June 1941 -> 23 turns

War in Europe Sept 1939 to May 1945 -> 163 turns
World at War Sept 1939 to May 1945 -> 150 turns

Considering the different map scales and other differences, it is really not that far off from one another despite how we've organized the turn lengths for our Global games.

Hubert

Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Hmmm. I hate facts lol. So inconvenient [:)]

I did not consider the global aspect and different weather patterns. That makes sense.

I still think weekly turns would have been a much better time scale. That at least gives each side two turns a month versus one. I just feel the game moves at much too fast of a pace for the scale.

Hopefully someone with more skills than I can mod it to be weekly turns as I am really having a challenge enjoying this game as much as the previous titles because of this.
Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

No problem at all Numdydar, and one suggestion to consider is that if it feels faster to not be afraid to make more use of Operational Movement as MPPs in theory would feel to arrive faster as well. Forced marches of course help out quite a bit as well.

As mentioned in other threads, it's a bit of a different game and as a result game play will naturally change as well to suit.

In testing, one guide I used to ensure that the timelines were well suited prior to release was a test of AI vs AI turns, and then to double check where the significant milestone results lined up in those games. For example, in a comparison between War in Europe and World at War the AI results matched up accordingly, i.e. France falls about the same time, Barbarossa starts at around the same time as well.

Essentially, and after adjusting to the new scale and turn lengths I do feel confident most will find the right blend of old and new tactics to adjust to the required pace.
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

I love the detailed responses you give to everyone. It is one reason I keep buying your games. Your attention to the community is awesome [:)]

I had no doubt you did lots of testing and design decisions to get to the release. And it shows as I have not had a single crash yet [:)] We will just have to disagree on the timescale and how it currently works.

I would suggest from my viewpoint and others on the map scale would be to do a DLC for a bigger map and a smaller time scale. Assuming the economics of this release warrant it. I would certainly pay for it. So you have one sale at least lol.
pkloop

Post by pkloop »

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

I love the detailed responses you give to everyone. It is one reason I keep buying your games. Your attention to the community is awesome [:)]

I would suggest from my viewpoint and others on the map scale would be to do a DLC for a bigger map and a smaller time scale. Assuming the economics of this release warrant it. I would certainly pay for it. So you have one sale at least lol.

Agree with both of the above! Also a buyer of the map DlC :)
roy64

Post by roy64 »

ORIGINAL: pkloop

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

Agree with both of the above! Also a buyer of the map DlC :)
DLC for a bigger map

I would pay for a DLC for a bigger map if it was possible to do.
RJL5188

Post by RJL5188 »

also, you can adjust the turn scale to your liking
open up the editor, choose which game you want to change and just change the time scale to a different set of turns to what you wish
you may have to change some scripts,
remember to always save it as a different title so you do not mess up the original scenario.
"Remember. This is a military operation. They NEVER go according to plan." ---Gen. Beck to Col. Stauffenberg (VALKYRIE)

Return to “Strategic Command WWII: World at War”