Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress

The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985 is a new turn-based, tactical wargame that focuses on conflicts in the Middle East.

Moderator: Jason Petho

Jason Petho

RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress

Post by Jason Petho »

Here is the 3D zoom level 1

Attachments
xray_map_3D01.jpg
xray_map_3D01.jpg (448.79 KiB) Viewed 86 times
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

and the 3d Zoom level 2

Attachments
xray_map_3D.jpg
xray_map_3D.jpg (631.12 KiB) Viewed 86 times
budd

Post by budd »

Looking good, thanks for sharing Jason.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Big Ivan

Post by Big Ivan »

Have to say Jason, 3D is pleasing to my eyes. Its my first choice.

But 2D set at 6 or 7 zoom view with black silhouettes is close!!

2D reminds me of the AIW Avalon Hill board game buried around here somewhere...[:)]
Blitz call sign Big Ivan.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

You're most welcome!

It's coming along! The graphics are still ALPHA, but so far, so good.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Campaign Series Vietnam: Scenarios. As described in a previous post, there will be a lot of historical scenarios available with the 1.00 release. As these will be historical, you probably won't find as much tactical/operational flexibility as you would find with other scenario types. This leads to the question of should I develop a handful of more free flowing scenarios that provides the opportunity for a player to do as they wish, within the confines of a given scenario. If so, what types of free flow scenarios would you be interested in? What size engagements would you be interested in? Is there more interest to play from the US/ARVN side or from the VC/NVA side? Tell me your thoughts!
Big Ivan

Post by Big Ivan »

Jason that's a great question!!

I'd like to see some kind of tactical training scenarios where commanding one side or the other you have to choose what you think
is the best strategy or course of action. Couple this with the various mission types that you can choose from
when making a random scenario. That is:

Armored Breakthrough
Meeting Engagement
Pocket Breakout
Bridgehead
Recon in Force
etc.

It doesn't make a difference to a great extent which side I play. The US/ARVN and NVA/VC each have there particular
attributes that one has to learn how to use. Given the right scenario one can learn how to use those attributes.

Another nice twist would be scenarios with helo insertion or extraction that maybe with the new lua function could be
point time based. That is the faster you get your troops in or out the more points you get. Also a scenario where you have
to assassinate a general or a key leader might be an interesting mission or maybe blow up an installation.

As for scenario size and manageability I think size 4 to 7 would be best with 12 to 24 turns. Anything less or more, can, I feel present
problems with manageability or force losses or time constraints.

For starters I hope this helps. If I come up with anything else I'll post here my friend.

Cheers!
John[:)]
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Thank you for the feedback, John!! That's appreciated!
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Campaign Series Vietnam: ALPHA graphics. To the east of the X-ray area of the map is the Plei Me Special Forces/CIDG camp, shown here. The Jump Map shows how large this map will end up being. The southern portion of the map will be used to cover a number of scenarios that constitute the complete Plei Me, Chu Pong and Ia Drang battles as fought by the US and ARVN forces in October and November, 1965.

Attachments
xray_map03.jpg
xray_map03.jpg (587.67 KiB) Viewed 86 times
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Campaign Series Vietnam: Scenarios. The following is a list of the scenarios that will be created that cover the battles at Plei Me and Ia Drang. Do you see anything obvious that is missing?
XX. Ia Drang Campaign 01 - Dan Thang 21 Operation - October 19, 1965 - 33rd VC Regiment (B rating) Attacks Pleime Camp (A team, CIDG, plus two ranger companies (91st SF Rangers) flown as reinforcement - they fly in October 21, LZ 5km Northeast of Camp)

XX. Ia Drang Campaign 02 - Dan Thang 21 Operation - October 23, 1965 - 32nd VC Regiment (A rating) Ambushes relief ARVN relief column (Tank company, APC company, Ranger Battalion, Artillery Battalion) - 22nd ARVN Ranger Battalion heliborne into LZ 10km north of Pleime

XX. Ia Drang Campaign 03 - Dan Thang 21 Operation - October 26, 1965 - Elements of battalion from 33rd VC Regiment (B rating) ambushes elements of ARVN armoured TF as it sweeps south of Pleime camp. [Short, small scenario]

XX. Ia Drang Campaign 04 - Operation All the Way - November 1, 1965 - Eagle Flights (2/12, 1/8, 1/12 and 2/8 Battalions - Air Cavalry) vs scattered elements of 33rd Regiment (B Rating) - find VC hospital

XX. Ia Drang Campaign 05 - Operation Silver Bayonet I - November 14, 1965 - 1/7 Air Cavalry lands (company sized waves) at X-Ray vs vs 9th Battalion/66th Regiment

XX. Ia Drang Campaign 06 - Operation Silver Bayonet I - November 15, 1965 - 1/7 Air Cavalry at X-Ray (0750 "Broken Arrow"), 0910 elements A/2/7 land at X-Ray (0800 2/5 Air Cavalry lands at LZ Victor to reinforce LZ X-ray) vs elements of 66th Regiment

XX. Ia Drang Campaign 07 - LZ Albany - November 17, 1965 - 2/7 Air Cavalry marching towards LZ Albany (ambushed) vs elements of 6 & 7&8cos/8th Battalion/66th Regiment & 1&2cos1st Battalion 33rd Regiment

XX. Ia Drang Campaign 08 - Operation Than Phong 7 - November 20, 1965 - 3rd & 6th ARVN Airborne battalions land LZ north of Ia Drang where they ambush retreating 634th/32nd Regiment
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Campaign Series Vietnam: ALPHA graphics. Here is a 3D zoom level 2 view of the airfield and special forces camp at Duc Co. This camp was under siege for a month and a half in the summer of 1965 by the 32nd Regiment. There was an immobilized M41 dug in as part of the camp defences. I will create a scenario for Vietnam of the relief attempt and subsequent ambush.

Attachments
xray_map04.jpg
xray_map04.jpg (703.92 KiB) Viewed 86 times
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Campaign Series Vietnam: ALPHA graphics. Here are a few screenshots of the Ben Het area west of Dak To. Below you'll see View #6 (2d zoom level 2), View #1 (3d zoom level 1) and View 4 (3d zoom level 4). There are 9 different zoom levels in the game - four 3d and five 2D, plus the jump map. On March 3rd, 1969, the camp was attacked by the PAVN 66th Regiment, supported by BTR-50's APC's and PT-76's light tanks. An M-48 platoon was stationed at the camp leading to a tank vs tank engagement.

Attachments
ben_het_sfc.jpg
ben_het_sfc.jpg (407.67 KiB) Viewed 86 times
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

3D view 1

Attachments
ben_het_sfc_3d01.jpg
ben_het_sfc_3d01.jpg (541.02 KiB) Viewed 86 times
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

3D view 4

Attachments
ben_het_sfc_3d04.jpg
ben_het_sfc_3d04.jpg (440.96 KiB) Viewed 86 times
MrRoadrunner

Post by MrRoadrunner »

The Vietnam graphics look really good.

RR
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Thank you, Ed.

The new 3D graphics guy is really coming along. We're changing the dirt for the firebases (etc) to a more reddish, which was prevalent in most areas of South Vietnam.
berto

Post by berto »

The firebases are work-in-progress, alpha graphics. Not yet Ready For Prime Time.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
MrRoadrunner

Post by MrRoadrunner »

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

Thank you, Ed.

The new 3D graphics guy is really coming along. We're changing the dirt for the firebases (etc) to a more reddish, which was prevalent in most areas of South Vietnam.

Yes, I just like the direction you are heading. I know it all is a work in progress. What has been fleshed out is really nice.

RR
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
Big Ivan

Post by Big Ivan »

ORIGINAL: MrRoadrunner

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

Thank you, Ed.

Yes, I just like the direction you are heading. I know it all is a work in progress. What has been fleshed out is really nice.

RR

+1 Yes the direction is looking very promising. I'm liking it too![:D]
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Campaign Series Vietnam: ALPHA graphics. Current progress on the III Corps master map. The focus for the weekend was the northwest area of the map which is primarily Cambodia. You'll see in the screenshot the town of Memut (Memot). COSVN was expected to be in this area and this area was the primary target of the 1st Brigade/25th Infantry (with attached units like elements of the 11th ACR) during the incursion into Cambodia, April-July 1970.

Attachments
saigon_vietnam_004.jpg
saigon_vietnam_004.jpg (2.51 MiB) Viewed 86 times

Return to “Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985”