Trading Saved Oil?

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

ashkpa

Trading Saved Oil?

Post by ashkpa »

Should MWIF work if you use a saved oil to fulfill a trade agreement or is this a known bug and I should not trade saved oil resources?

Situation. CW has a trade agreement to send an oil to France, started several turns ago. I decided to use the oil that the CW had saved in Cairo (refreshed every turn with the Persian oil that is saved in Cairo). The first time I did it, the oil stops showing up in the "Saved at Start" total, but never shows in the FR production screen (it also does not use any convoys). The agreement seems to be fulfilled however, because the game never forces the CW to send another oil. I left it in place for several turns and again France never gets the oil. The oil shows up on the map, but not in the production screens. This turn FR production also did something funny, the Metz resource was not sent to the Metz factory for production even though Germany ZOCs prevent any other resource to arrive. If I set a default for the Metz resource, it did work. I'm wondering if the use of the saved resource in Cairo is causing other problems.

Pat
Pat
paulderynck

RE: Trading Saved Oil?

Post by paulderynck »

Sounds like a bug. The rule is you can't send one you receive by trade in the same turn, but if you store it in turn 1 and send the stored one in turn 2 (rinse and repeat) then that's legit.

Paul
ashkpa

Post by ashkpa »

Ok here is a saved file (zipped) where the issue can be observed.
1) Open and look at trade agreements.
Click on the CW to France agreement.
It shows the Cairo saved oil going to France for production in Paris.
Close

2) Switch to French Production
Under "Factories - Idle" that all 3 Paris factories are idle. (error 1)
There are unused convoys in the E and W Med that could transport the oil

3) Switch to CW production and click on the "Saved Oil Points - Saved at Start"
You do not see the Cairo oil there (it is on the map).
Change the traded oil to the Port of Spain oil (or any other)
You can verify that the traded oil as changed by looking at the Trade Agreements
I would expect now to see the Cairo oil in the "Saved Oil Points - Saved at Start" but it is not there and as far as I can tell it disappears from the game. (error 2)

Several things do not appear to be correct in this.

Finally I could find no way of adjusting the use of the Cairo oil from being used for production to being saved. (issue 3)

Thanks,

Pat
Edit: deleted file. It was incorrect - see correct file two post below.
Pat
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

Unfortunately, the French prel. production phase has already been closed in your gamesave. This makes it difficult to see what's wrong. Do you have an earlier gamesave?
Peter
ashkpa

Post by ashkpa »

Sorry, I must have accidental saved on top of my test file. I recreated it from the US entry phase. It should be the beginning of Prelim Production and all the statements above are still valid.

Thanks,

Pat
Attachments
PrelimProduction.zip
(1.57 MiB) Downloaded 1 time
Pat
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

First, the Metz resource. If you select the resource that's currently going to the Metz factory and make it a default going to Lille, the resource in Metz fills the factory.
You can send a resource out or into a hex in enemy ZOC, but not through that hex. But with an automatic system, this should not happen, since it would have to calculate until it has an optimized result...

Second, the saved oil resource. Traded resources tend to start as Idle when it's not clear where they have to go. So I simply saved it to Beirut and the game let me do so...

Attachments
Noproblem.gif
Noproblem.gif (737.75 KiB) Viewed 131 times
Peter
ashkpa

Post by ashkpa »

Second, the saved oil resource. Traded resources tend to start as Idle when it's not clear where they have to go. So I simply saved it to Beirut and the game let me do so...

Peter,

First question I had was, where did you find it in the production screen so that you could tell it where to go? I then decided to load the file up and see if I could see it. I immediately switch to France and it was in the default list of resources shown. Now, if I click on any of the details, the Cairo resource does not show up in any of the detail links and I could not get back to it. So, I switched to the CW and then back to the FR and I could not find it still (it does not go to that very first default list again).

So, next I decided to test it. I exited and reloaded the game file (attached above). First up is Germany, so I decided to click on the link showing the GE oil resources (first link in the second column). I then switched countries to FR. At that point I cannot find the Cairo resource so that I could alter it's destination or purpose. So, it appears that one issue is that the initial list of resources seen cannot be recreated without saving the game and restarting. I also believe the lent resource should show up on one (the received in trade) link on the production screen.

In this simple case it could be worked around by making sure the country receiving the saved oil is the first country to do their preliminary resource allocation. May not work if multiple countries are receiving saved oil in trade.

Pat
Pat
ashkpa

Post by ashkpa »

Interesting. Just playing around. If I click on the Idle button in the lower left of the screen the Cairo resource is visible.
Pat
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

Saved oil points are standard on "idle". I got it on the production screen by pressing the "trade" button in the filter section...
Peter
ashkpa

Post by ashkpa »

If it is standard to say idle, then the trade agreement form should not say it is going to a Paris factory.
Pat
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

Strange, because the moment I load this game and switch to the French production planning form and filter on "trade", the Cairo oil is shown as idle on my machine...
Peter
ashkpa

Post by ashkpa »

Careful. I am not talking about the production screen. It is the Trade Agreement Menu screen (under the main info menu item). Recently that was changed to show what resources were being traded. It also appears to show what they are doing.

Also, I don't believe all traded resources are set to idle. I never remember having to take the RU resources lent to German off of idle, nor the resources the US lends to JP.

Finally, if the production menu resource "AI" cannot figure out that it is best not do have received resources remain idle, then what hope is their for the broader AI? :-0)
Pat
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

Yes, you're right about the traded resources. I should have written "traded saved oil resources" in my first reaction to you. Sorry about that...

And it's indeed strange that the production planning gives another result as compated to the trade agreement screen...
Peter
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Centuur

Yes, you're right about the traded resources. I should have written "traded saved oil resources" in my first reaction to you. Sorry about that...

And it's indeed strange that the production planning gives another result as compared to the trade agreement screen...
The Trade Agreement form doesn't always update what is going where. Use the Production Planning screen to get the current status.

The bottom of the Trade Agreement form was recently added (earlier this year). I don't want to have the program always recompute production every time it is opened. On the other hand, the Production Planning form always recomputes production prior to displaying the form.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

Return to “Tech Support”