War in the East - Grigsby

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

Dorky8

War in the East - Grigsby

Post by Dorky8 »

Any one here played War in the East (Grigsby)? The guys in their forum say its great just looking for some other opinions.
Looks interesting but its expensive.

I like this game, Panzer Corps. Never really got into Heart of Iron.
Hairog

RE: War in the East - Grigsby

Post by Hairog »

It's very big, very complicated, very time consuming, very detailed, very good. You have to like a big, complicated game. Even the small battle scenarios are ultra detailed. I can never find the time to really get to know the intricacies of the game system.

WW III 1946 Books
SC3 EAW WW Three 1946 Mod and Naval Mods
WarPlan and WarPlan Pac Alpha and Be
ThunderLizard11

Post by ThunderLizard11 »

I got GG's War in the West and I think it's a great game. It does take a bit to learn but plenty of support available on YouTube and elsewhere
johnvmcnichols1973

Post by johnvmcnichols1973 »

One of the best games out there. Complicated yes, but not in the sense you wont learn enough to enjoy it. I havent played War in the West, but if its anything like the East version its a must have too. I wish it had a World at War version.
PHalen

Post by PHalen »

Hey Dorky8:
Since you like Panzer Corps, and I assume you prefer turn-based-games (?), I would personally recommend TOAW IV (The Operational Art of War IV) as next step if you’re looking for deeper involvement.

Gary Grigsby’s games are great!!
If you want to get into (or control) the level of how many functioning supply trucks or who the commanding officer of any given organisation is at any time…
Yeah, the Grigsby games are that deep.
They’re most probably the best WW2 operational simulation game on the market.
But - in my very personal opinion- not the most enjoyable gaming fun.

Happy gaming!
budd

Post by budd »

You can go as deep as you want with WITE,it's not hard to start playing and moving stuff around and understanding the basics. I've got quite a few hours in and have never played the grand campaign yet.id wait until the holiday sale and get the whole package, lots more smaller scenarios in the DLC.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

I tried to watch a youtuber play the pacific version of that game.
8 hour video... just to set up.
I gave up at about 45 minutes, when he started discussing which air craft engines to produce.
"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft
BPINisBACK

Post by BPINisBACK »

ORIGINAL: Taxman66

I tried to watch a youtuber play the pacific version of that game.
8 hour video... just to set up.
I gave up at about 45 minutes, when he started discussing which air craft engines to produce.

[X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][:D][:D][:D]
LOL!!!!
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

WITE is hard, WITW has more AI help if you need or want it, so the learning curve is less imo in the west and more in the east, regarding scale both are epic and can can down to the last bullet and bean if you wish, but depends on your free time, which campaign battle you play and how you go into it.

it can be played, eg both by low end player like me, as like all of them, it's a counter moving game which is just a step up from chess up to a point, but to play it well, both will need quite a lot of experience before playing online, against the AI it's a mute point, as you can help your self with options and difficulty selection to make it somewhat easier if you wish for an easier game etc, and in the West the AI can take over quite a bit of the mundane stuff for you, also again if you wish
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Dorky8

Post by Dorky8 »

Thank you for the input

If I see it on sale I think I'll give it a try. Quite a price tag for an older title.

I share the concerns that it may be to in depth for me.

I think WITE would be most interesting.

Thanks again
ivanov

Post by ivanov »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

WITE is hard, WITW has more AI help if you need or want it, so the learning curve is less imo in the west and more in the east

I have to disagree with that. I think you're referring to the air war, when you talk about the AI help. In WitW, the air war is a game within the game. But if you relegate the tasks to the AI, it will never do it right. So you really need to do it on your own and micromanage to death, which is a chore beyond my understanding of a good fun. In WitE you can limit yourself to moving the units around, reattaching them to different HQ and staying close to your rail lines and you'd be ok. It's more historical than SC, but I always had a feeling, that it's more of a dry, accountant's game than fun. It is strategic level but you can't really impact things like production, you can only move the units. From the other hand the scale of WitE is too big to enjoy the tactical combat, so you end up pushing bunch of counters and reading the statistics after the combat. Having said this WitE and WitW are very impressive games and in a league of their own.

Lest we forget.
Dorky8

Post by Dorky8 »

Holiday Sale $24 !![:D]
thekman

Post by thekman »

Does War in Russia come with just the old style sprites (Icons) for the units or has the game got updated ones such as a tank for armor division, plane for the air division, etc.? I had this game when it first came out and loved it back then, but after playing Strategic command with updated icons, I just can't go back to the old style ones. I know some prefer those, and that is fine. Mine is the new style.
GiveWarAchance

Post by GiveWarAchance »

It uses the usual NATO type symbols so no sprites. This SC game has better looking counters.

I bought Grisby's War in the West because I really liked Grisby's World at War A World Divided game which has a powerful AI and nice single player campaigns with powered-up enemy alliances for a hard challenge and is probably quite good for PBEM too, but the WITW game is too complex for my simple brain so I only played one small scenario in Tunisia and gave up on the game cause I ran out of time and nothing really happened in the strangely tiny 10 turn time limit and the front line never moved so I regretted buying it. This SC game is radically better in my opinion and seems to be good for both single player and PBEM games.
thekman

Post by thekman »

Thanks. I like the modern counters in SC far more than the old ones. I even like the more detail in the War in Europe game, with the Panzer's, Panther, Tiger, and King Tiger. I know it is just a visual, but it doesn't hurt. I probably wouldn't have the time for WIR either as I barely have enough time for War in Europe. And without updated counters, I'd have to pass on the game.
GiveWarAchance

Post by GiveWarAchance »

thakman, good to hear your thoughts. I thought I was decisively in the minority by preferring sprites over nato counters, but you give me hope for humanity. I really like seeing my tanks look like tanks and change in appearance as my tanks are upgraded. And same for troops, airplanes, ships etc. I wish SC used the beloved Tiger as the late-war German tank sprite but the Panther is probably more realistic cause of the low number of Tigers fielded.
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

I'm also using the sprites, allthough I prefer the SC WWI SoE-Look of the old Airfix toy soldiers I played during my childhood.

Tigers weren't part of geman tank divisions usually, they were building heavy tank battallions attached to an army or corps, while usually tank divisions consisted of 1 Rgt of main battle tanks (1 Btl of Panthers and 1 of Pz IV), 2 Rgts of PzGrens (of which 1 Btl had SPW) and 1 Art.-Rgt (of which 1 Btl consisted of self propelled Arty), and additional troops in Btl size like pioneers, AA, AT and recon (PzDiv 43). In SC3 there's a difference between normal and heavy tanks, represented by the different sprites, which seems to be somehow accurate (allthough there haven't been armies or even corps consisting of heavy tanks). Nevertheless I'd like to see Jagdpanthers instead Ferdinands as lvl 5 AT.
Ktonos

Post by Ktonos »

The Tiger/King Tigers are modeled in SC. Aren't the German Heavy Tank lvl 1-3 a Tiger II and the levels 4-5 the Koenigstiger?
Dorky8

Post by Dorky8 »

WiTE is very cool but its going to take a long time to become decent at the game

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”