Avengers

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

geofflambert

Avengers

Post by geofflambert »

Quote from Brian Williams this morning talking about H W in the war. "Avengers were the biggest thing that could take off of an aircraft carrier and fly. They basically dropped torpedoes on land targets."

Really.

btd64

RE: Avengers

Post by btd64 »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Quote from Brian Williams this morning talking about H W in the war. "Avengers were the biggest thing that could take off of an aircraft carrier and fly. They basically dropped torpedoes on land targets."

Really.

What, you never heard of sinking an island. ....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Sorry. You mentioned Avengers and my mind immediately went to this:

Attachments
Emmapeel.jpg
Emmapeel.jpg (32.2 KiB) Viewed 210 times
rsallen64

Post by rsallen64 »

I am shocked, shocked I say, to hear that Brian Willams, of all people, said something historically inaccurate. [:D]. That being said, I have trouble watching most news because I just can't take the constant hyperbole anymore. If only they would just REPORT the news and not feel the constant need to comment. I long for the days of Cronkite. Grump. Maybe this should go in the Geezer thread?
Desert War 1940-1942 Beta Tester
Agressors: Ancient Rome Beta Tester
Flashpoint Campaigns: Southern Storm Beta Tester
Uncivil Engineer

Post by Uncivil Engineer »

ORIGINAL: rsallen64

I am shocked, shocked I say, to hear that Brian Willams, of all people, said something historically inaccurate. [:D]. That being said, I have trouble watching most news because I just can't take the constant hyperbole anymore. If only they would just REPORT the news and not feel the constant need to comment. I long for the days of Cronkite. Grump. Maybe this should go in the Geezer thread?

Cronkite was just as bad. His opinion on Vietnam was totally wrong. When the body count is 10 to 1 in your favor you're NOT losing.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Oh, dear.

Zorch

Post by Zorch »

Oh, dear.
+1
Orm

Post by Orm »

Oh, dear.
You said it.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

To lubricate minds I recommend this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWCZq33BrOo

Korvar

Post by Korvar »

Brian Williams got one thing right - Avengers are BIG. Here's a TBM (GM built) next to a typical general aviation aircraft and the Skyraider (itself a large aircraft) behind it is barely visible. The cockpit may be the roomiest from a WW2-era one-engine aircraft - it would at least be in the running for such a title. In any case, it is much more spacious than your typical WW2 fighter cockpit.

The Grumman Sto-Wing folding wing system also cuts down significantly on the Avenger's deck footprint. It's quite a sight to see them extend/retract - every time it looks as if they will scrape the ground... but they never do!

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Avengers are awesome, but that ball turret has a remarkable story to itself.

Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

I think they were the heaviest carrier plane of WW2, definitively bigger than Kate/ Jill

Miller

Post by Miller »

The BBC obit said he was the "Youngest fighter pilot in the navy". The BBC for god's sake[:D]
LeeChard

Post by LeeChard »

Watching the FOX coverage yesterday and someone there referred to president Bush as the youngest fighter pilot too.
Somebody needs 'fact check' along with their 'spell check'. [8|]
Kull

Post by Kull »

ORIGINAL: Miller

The BBC obit said he was the "Youngest fighter pilot in the navy". The BBC for god's sake[:D]

LOL - Two nights ago, one of their talking heads referred to him (and Bob Dole) as WW1 veterans. Twice.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

ORIGINAL: Kull

ORIGINAL: Miller

LOL - Two nights ago, one of their talking heads referred to him (and Bob Dole) as WW1 veterans. Twice.

[:D][:D][:D]....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
Korvar

Post by Korvar »

Reading the news blunders here reminds me of another; when an AT-6/SNJ Texan (Harvard in Canada & the UK) painted in WW2 German colors had an emergency landing on a Southern CA freeway a couple months back, the press couldn't help itself to say a "Nazi plane" had landed. Since it's a non-original paint job, it doesn't have a swastika - just the Balkenkreuz.

It's from a group of AT-6/SNJ owners who collectively have so many of the type that they're probably bored of a more 'standard' paint job. That's it.

The plane in question:

An SNJ in 'correct' colors:
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

Size matters. The U.S. CVE's kept using the Grumman FM's because of their smaller storage size compared to the F6F which was every bit as large as the Republic P 47 Thunderbolt!

Attachments
19610122000c.jpg
19610122000c.jpg (399.47 KiB) Viewed 210 times

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

The Hellfighter I believe had a 2,000 hp Double Wasp as compared to the P-47's 2,200 hp Double Wasp.

Elessar2

Post by Elessar2 »

Really.

Second biggest.

Now, if he had said "could land", then he'd have an argument. [:-]

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”